**Techy Car Question** Ignition coil

Saint_Jonny

Hello, id put this in the motoring forum but its gone so...

Engines only firing on 3 at the mo, changed the SP's but no luck, guessing it'd be my ignition coil pack thats had it? Looking around the prices vary from 40 quid up to 130 quid (the one that looks like mine). Can I get away with buying a cheaper one, will it fit my engine etc? Found a load of different ones on here, just dont understand how they can all look so different. I bet it wont be easy and i'll need to spend 130 quid...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citroen_Saxo_1.6_1998/p/Car-Parts/Electrical-and-Lighting/Ignition/Ignition-Coils

Its a 1998 saxo vts by the way, I dunno if any of you will know anything about it but its worth asking I spose :)

I had to replace the coil pack on my old VTS, because of the same symptoms, but I'd already ruled out plugs and leads by then. You'll probably end up doing the same. I don't remember a huge price difference between the OEM part and a pattern one from a 3rd party though. A few quid maybe but not enough to make it worth the risk.

Oh rite so you reckon' I should go for the original part then? Probably the best bet tbh be honest as im off to uni a million miles away in september and need to get the car ship-shape and solid. Tis' alot of money though for something that shouldn't really go wrong...

Oh rite so you reckon' I should go for the original part then? Probably the best bet tbh be honest as im off to uni a million miles away in september and need to get the car ship-shape and solid. Tis' alot of money though for something that shouldn't really go wrong...

Shouldn't go wrong prematurely perhaps, but they do have a "life-span". That's some pretty high voltage pounding through the coil - 20,000 volts - so it can't last forever.

Go for the one with the most "quibble free" warranty.

I drove to halfrauds this morning to get some spark plugs, went to take off the coil pack and 4 of the 6 screws have been rounded off and now cannot be removed. Also on my trip to halfrauds my engine lost compression and ****ed oil everywhere so ive given in and taken it to a proper mechanic. Initial look looks like SP' 2 has jumped out, so could be a possible easy fix.

I ****ING HATE SAXO'S!!!!

Spent so much ****in money on mine now. Sell sell sell.

Great little cars, capable of embarrassing some very expensive machinery on handling alone. Add to that 120+bhp in a car that weighs less than a fart in a crisp packet and they're utterly brilliant for the money. It's only a shame that their image was destroyed by the Max Power boys.

Yours from new? Or, Sounds like its had the arse ragged off it before you. I have had cars that have been driven hard all day long to in excess of 120,000 miles in 3 years or less and all I have had go seriously wrong with them (touchwood) is the battery turning round and saying "I just can't do this every day".

Just for the record I would have checked the plugs then the leads before looking to move on to the coil, although having "detonated" en route to "Halfrauds" sound like, the something else has gone "oh, blow this!".

Ponty probably let Mickey the Shoe have a go in his.

Hello, id put this in the motoring forum but its gone so...

Engines only firing on 3 at the mo, changed the SP's but no luck, guessing it'd be my ignition coil pack thats had it? Looking around the prices vary from 40 quid up to 130 quid (the one that looks like mine). Can I get away with buying a cheaper one, will it fit my engine etc? Found a load of different ones on here, just dont understand how they can all look so different. I bet it wont be easy and i'll need to spend 130 quid...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citroen_Saxo_1.6_1998/p/Car-Parts/Electrical-and-Lighting/Ignition/Ignition-Coils

Its a 1998 saxo vts by the way, I dunno if any of you will know anything about it but its worth asking I spose :)

Just returned from the garage having had a new coil pack fitted to my mondeo, the 2nd in a year. Last year decided to do it cheaply now wished I hadnt. In hindsight should have payed the extra in the first place

to be honest I love the thing when its running well, it still surprises me when you push the revs in second gear and can put a big grin on your face that says "wow...I forgot it could do that..." so im looking forward to getting it back! Ganna treat it very well and get it running well very soon so I should be a happy chappy soon :)

Thats exactly how I felt yesterday lunchtime, having had it repaired and putting my foot down. To be able to go through the gears without a single kangaroo jump was a great feeling. I have this mondeo for over 7 years. I got it when it was a year old and tbh this is the first problem I have had with it, and I now know why I love driving it so much