The Demise Of Football.

Guest Hacienda

Guest Hacienda

Lifted from another site.

Is this the beginning of the end for football.....

What is it that Guinness advert proclaims? "All good things come to those who wait". Well the Footballing Authorities may not have to wait too much longer until their transition of the game is complete. To rid the game of the bad and populate it only with the good. No more rowdy behaviour, no more rebels of society daring to stand up and make their feelings known, no more problems.

Their ideals consist of fans turning up every week, queuing to gain entry in an orderly fashion, having booked their tickets 3 months in advance. Entering the stadium and taking their seats, rising only to applaud goals where they dance along to carefully selected music over the PA, before clearing up their litter and disappearing into the countryside until the following weekend. No hassle, no passion, no noise.

As the game I know and love becomes more diluted by the passing year, I often wonder just when the breaking point will come. When will those authorised with sanitising our game realise the error of their ways? Or can they not actually see that they are breaking the very foundations of what has made this sport a success? Pound signs blur their vision, seen all too often in every walk of life. Greed takes over, people want more. They've exhausted the Premier League "brand" and now have visions of taking it further afield; the infamous "Game 39". Translated to you and me, meaning they have milked pretty much every penny they can from the "consumers" in this country, and now want to tap into the pockets of those football hungry consumers overseas. All in the name of expanding the pockets of the shareholders, players and governing bodies of our sport. Our sport, not theirs.

If I rewind 7 or 8 years; I'm leaving the house on a matchday and making my way to Anfield. There was no need to ring around in the morning; I'd just turn up and walk into one of two or three pubs around the ground, and would bump into people I knew. You knew where everyone would drink, and had done for years. The same faces, the people that made this club what it is. I can pop my head into those same pubs now, and I wouldn't recognise a soul. Those long standing supporters have now all but disappeared, replaced by families from all over, decked out in official replica sportswear and taking pictures of anything that moves. There's a smaller crowd of us left and tend to keep out of the way. We don't conform. Those areas around the ground have now been taken over by the new brigade, while the old guard retreat to pastures further afield.

Year after year, more and more people are dropping away. There's still a hardcore of a few hundred that travel everywhere. There's still thousands that go to every home game just like they always have. But it's becoming harder and harder for these people to carry on. Supporters being replaced by consumers. Participants being replaced by spectators. Just how much higher can the bar be raised by the controlling bodies before they've pushed away everyone that gave the game it's appeal in the first place? What happens when the passion disappears for good? You can't manufacture passion, no matter how hard some clubs try.

They have mascots running up and down the touchline trying to encourage the fans. At Bolton they play "I feel good" when they score, with two young lads running the length of the pitch with big flags. Music played after goals is now commonplace, as if fans don't know how to celebrate a goal by themselves. Is it because they realise the passion is dead and are trying to hang onto a small semblence of it? Or is it aimed at manufacturing a friendly atmosphere to suit their agenda?

Manufactured support; I can't think of anything worse. Handing out those clappers seems to be the next step this season, with the whole of St.Andrews clapping along with them before their opening game. This in a ground that used to be known as one of the most passionate and hostile in football; now transformed into a childrens play ground with everybody doing as they are told. Sat down and singing what the club want them to sing, and clapping when they want them to clap. So sad. Ticket prices on the increase there every season, and a ground I now refuse to visit. £40 for an away ticket some 4 years ago. No thanks. It doesn't take a genius to work out why they barely fill half of that ground any more.

Newcastle had their lowest league attendance for nearly a decade at the weekend, with cash turnstiles in operation, entry for £10 if you bought a replica shirt and other such promotions, but still had thousands of empty seats. Manchester United have been contacting everybody on their mailing lists trying to push season ticket sales again this summer. Whereas Old Trafford used to be like Fort Knox when it came to getting in, they're now closer to resembling one of the happy hour bars in Benidorm, with teenagers stood outside handing out cards with promotional offers to encourage trade. What was once a closed shop, is now opening it's doors and trying to drag people in off the streets.

Is the football bubble about to burst? I hope so.

On Monday night, Portsmouth's most famous fan, the bell ringer with the blue hair, or less commonly known as "John", was approached by the ground staff at Fratton Park and asked to keep the noise down. I'm sure it's not only me that's absolutely staggered by that. Asked to stop ringing his bell and keep the noise down, in a football ground! The mind boggles. But it's another notch on the many that have been made previously, in slowly sanitising the way we support our teams.

We are told we're not allowed to stand up as it's unsafe; yet rugby sides play in exactly the same stadia and those rules don't apply. Apparently it's safe for rugby fans to stand in those same seated areas, but not football fans (the reasons for that I could write a book on, and will address again). It's madness. They're also allowed to drink in their seats while watching the game. I know of a fan that was facing a 3 year football banning after peering over the exits at White Hart Lane to catch a goal he'd missed when coming down early at half time. He'd walked down the steps, was handed a pint by a friend, and heard the roar from the stands. He went halfway back up the steps to see what had happened, when two officers arrested him for consuming alcohol in view of the playing surface. It defies belief. But I'm told we're different. As our friend from Portsmouth has pointed out this week; would this sort of discrimination be accepted anywhere else, or by anyone else, but football fans?

I was on a final warning in my old season ticket seat for foul and abusive language. I was reported by fellow fans for swearing, and risked losing my season ticket. Now in that seat, I was reserved, very reserved. It was on the halfway line and not a noise was made all season by anyone. They were spectators, I'm a participant, or like to be. I want to go to the game and let off some steam. I go to work to pay the bills, put a roof over the family heads, and to enjoy myself during my time off. I choose to do that at the football, something I've grown up with. It's always been a part of who I am. But in that seat, I had to control myself and just sit and watch the game, conforming to those around me for over 7 years. I must have sworn a handful of times in that entire period, when telling the referee where to go or some other trivial slip of the tongue. Yet I faced losing my season ticket and not being able to support my side over it. I was one swear word away from walking away from the game for good. If this was in a family enclosure I'd understand. I know when swearing is unacceptable, and in my view, a football ground is one of those places where it fits.

When I go to the match, I want to stand with fellow fans, my friends. I want to participate in the game, I want to support the side. I want to shout and I want to sing. I want to do the things that made me fall in love with the game and going to the match. But one by one, the authorities are trying to take all those things out of our game. To have us sat in silence, only singing when they want us to sing, and singing the songs they want us to sing. Blaring music over the PA system we are supposed to dance along to. We're unable to create an atmosphere ourselves it seems. For the future, see American sports for how it will go. Club issue foam hands can already be seen, dancing girls have been tried, the list goes on.

Keep sanitising; you'll soon be wondering where it all went wrong, when the very people that made this game what it is, have all long since disappeared. There's not many of us left. Soon there will be none.

Enjoy modern football. Enjoy scratching your heads in some plush office arguing with each other about who's to blame when the crowds start to stay away. I'll be long past the caring stage. You'll have brought it upon yourselves and destroyed a game loved by millions in the process. I hope it's worth it.

I think the fans are part of the issue too...

you dont have to look no further than this place to see what the choice of sandwich the chairman has that causes such up roar and claims of "spin".....the fans are the customers and the people in charge are quicker to act more so...

all one vicious circle..

Great read and says everything I feel about the game, the bit about going to the pub for pre-match beers is spot on, my pub doesn't even exsist anymore. Like he says soon the bubble will burst and we can get back to real football (hopefully)

Maybe that's more a reflection on the pub not generating enough money from just one day every two weeks to be able to survive...

Guest Hacienda

I read on another site that, on average, tickets cost more to go to see a Premier League game in London than to see England at Wembley.

I read on another site that, on average, tickets cost more to go to see a Premier League game in London than to see England at Wembley.

trouble is, in the prem, in London, people pay it...

how many london teams do you see with large gaps in the home sections on telly? eeerr, maybe Fulham...that is about it....

supply and demand.....

feck me, arsenal sell out for every game, even pre season friendlies on most parts and that is 60k every other week with high prices

A absolutely cracking post Hacienda but even if those in power(footballing wise) read it, it would be totally ignored. I wonder what the future holds for football?

Assuming the bubble doesn't burst, perhaps in 5-10 years the Premier League will reduce the number of teams relegated from 3 to 2, eventually becoming a closed shop. Meanwhile a number of lower league clubs will go bust and disappear. I could be way off, however, we shall see...

trouble is, in the prem, in London, people pay it...

how many london teams do you see with large gaps in the home sections on telly? eeerr, maybe Fulham...that is about it....

supply and demand.....

feck me, arsenal sell out for every game, even pre season friendlies on most parts and that is 60k every other week with high prices

Yep, that is the problem. The clubs charge that amount as they know people pay it. Not that the whole argument boils down to the price paid for entrance but I cannot believe how much the price has gone up, even in the relatively short amount of time I have been watching football. I went to watch Man Utd vs Leeds at Old Trafford about ten years ago for eight quid (kids ticket) now it costs thirty quid to watch QPR. I am not paying it, Cardiff and Derby were £25 each and that was plenty.

I am tempted to check out some football overseas, any recommendations?

Guest Hacienda
Yep, that is the problem. The clubs charge that amount as they know people pay it. Not that the whole argument boils down to the price paid for entrance but I cannot believe how much the price has gone up, even in the relatively short amount of time I have been watching football. I went to watch Man Utd vs Leeds at Old Trafford about ten years ago for eight quid (kids ticket) now it costs thirty quid to watch QPR. I am not paying it, Cardiff and Derby were £25 each and that was plenty.

I am tempted to check out some football overseas, any recommendations?

I go to Italy at least one weekend a month on business and I always take a game in. Sometimes Serie A but often Serie B as they are Saturday KO.

Getting into a Serie B game is about £8.

A ticket for the home standing area at Duisburg v. Aachen in the 2.Bundesliga in a couple of weeks has cost me €11.

Going to buy a Borussia Moenchengladbach ticket as well I think, and that should be around the same price.

As for England - well, it's the same old thing. People love their football clubs, not just because they want to go and see people they don't know kick a ball around but because it connects them to their community in a way you don't find anywhere else in modern life. And the clubs, who long ago forgot that they were both less and more than bland businesses, couldn't give a f*ck :(

Damnit.