Ferrari Pull Out Of F1

Um Bongo

From next season. Breaking news.

Not quite what you said

Ferrari announce they will quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if the sport continues with plans to enforce a £40m a budget cap from 2010.

Not quite what you said

Ferrari announce they will quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if the sport continues with plans to enforce a £40m a budget cap from 2010.

The breaking news was that they had pulled out. Which was what i posted.

HTH.

Not quite what you said

Good riddance. If there's one thing I can't stand it's a kid jumping up an down on the spot until it gets its own way. F1 HAS to economise. The seasons gone before were getting absolutely bloody ridiculous on the spending front. It's a sport, for chrissakes, not life or death. At least the FIA won't have one team to bend the rules over.

Of course, the FIA will backpeddle immediately.

The breaking news was that they had pulled out. Which was what i posted.

HTH.

They haven't pulled out, they have issued an ultimatum saying that they will pull out rather than sign up to the current cost capping proposal which will result in two sets of technical specifications - one that is less restrictive for the teams who agree to the budget cap, and a more restrictive one for the teams that don't.

I sympathise with them as it does seems like daft proposal in a sport like F1. It will make GPs more like Le Mans where different categories of car compete on track at the same time when surely F1 is all about all the cars racing each other on 'equal' terms. Surely it would make more sense to simply say that there will be a budget cap that all teams who want to participate in 2010 will have to adhere to and there will be no two tier (double decker?) set of regulations.

Simply not true. They've just declined to return their entry form by the 28th of May, and they won't be the only ones. If anyone apart from Williams (and possibly Force India) do I'd be very surprised.

f**k em. They spent loads this year and have a **** car. £40million is plenty plus makes it an even (ish) playing field

It's ridiculous when viewed with a little empathy. Yes, the £400m that Ferrari regularly spend is ridiculous, and Renault won back to back championships on a third of that budget, so the big spend doesn't guarantee results but cut that back to £40m and you're looking at a few thousand unemployed engineers in the UK alone. When you consider that the customers will not see this saving - i.e. ticket prices won't fall - you have to ask yourself why the sport needs that sort of drastic cutback and who the winners are...

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on them being on the grid next season. They're just blowing smoke out because they're not getting their own way. Some say F1 needs Ferrari more than Ferrari needs F1, but at the end of the day they do need each other to an extent. I actually admire them and Red Bull to an extent for standing up to what is quite a drastic rule change.

I reckon a compromise will be reached. It will have to be or else Bernie and Max will be standing there in December saying, "we don't need Ferrari, or Toyota, or BMW or... er... Red Bull or Torro Ros... er... ummm."

Maybe a buget cap, but not £40m. Maybe £100m next season (including salaries and engines), then £70m the year after, then £40m. Who knows.

As Ponty has said, only Williams and Force India are going to agree to the current deal. Also I'm guessing maybe Brawn and USGP.

I reckon we won't have any sort of budget cap next year. I think we're far more likely to see further technology capping, limiting the use of exotic materials, reducing wind-tunnel time further, limiting factory hours or head-count, increasing the life of gearboxes and the introduction of this "low cost" engine idea where they're all built to a strict design and are built to last a few races. A financial budget cap will be far too hard to enforce in an industry where some teams make their own parts and some sub the work out to remote machine/composite shops, for example.

It's ridiculous when viewed with a little empathy. Yes, the £400m that Ferrari regularly spend is ridiculous, and Renault won back to back championships on a third of that budget, so the big spend doesn't guarantee results but cut that back to £40m and you're looking at a few thousand unemployed engineers in the UK alone. When you consider that the customers will not see this saving - i.e. ticket prices won't fall - you have to ask yourself why the sport needs that sort of drastic cutback and who the winners are...

its a sign of the times im afraid.

Renault have made the same threat apparently. I'd expect BMW, Red Bull, STR and Toyota at least to follow suit.

Sounds about right. Williams have declared already that they'll be submitting their entry, Force India have said they're not happy about it but haven't said whether they'll enter or not, whilst Brawn have kept their mouths shut about it completely.

Ferrari have submitted a request for an injunction, against the proposed 2010 rules, with the French courts.

The FOTA/FIA meeting today has yielded no compromise as yet but talks are expected to continue.

Reminds me of the last time Ferrari spat their dummy out......92 or 93 season they were whinging and crying that if they didn't start to win some races soon they'd be pulling out.....Surprise, surprise, the FIA then gave Ferrari a free pass for the next decade and half.....I guess (i don't follow F1 anymore) all the favors have now expired and Ferrari are back to their previous mediocrity ......And its time for more temper tantrums....Am i right?

Willies didn't really have a choice, it's all they do so they can't exactly refuse to enter. Same with Brawn and Force India, although they're showing a little bit of solidarity with the manufacturers...

Besides, it may be moot now, I believe the other teams and the FIA are close to an agreement of sorts. It should culminate in a slower descent into budget capping, offset by the ability to sell chassis and engines to customer teams.