Caught Speeding

got caught doing 64 in a 50 just after i saw the camera and the van.

If they provide you a form to fill in and send back does this mean there is any chance of avoiding three points or a fine?

They are just asking for the name and address of the driver, which is a legal requirment. For 14 mph over the limit, you'll be getting 3 points and a £60 fine.

Second thoughts, you may well get a summons through the post.

Edited by Um Bongo

I am of the opinion that speed doesn't necesarily kill, although it obviously doesn't help and IS illegal. So not really fair to post the video link although extremely hard hitting and imho should be prime time vieweing over here.

Wasn't it also proven recently that drink drivers are statistically less likely to be involved in accidents than non drinkers due to them being a wee bit more cautious?

PS

Is it not time for a motoring forum please? Some very good conversations get lost and disapper in here. Come on fellas, swallow your pride.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The accepted criterion (by the ACPO) is Speed Limit + 10% + 3mph.

Above that, expect a pull, or a fine.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Is that he margin for error of a car's speedo, or just a courtesy thing DSM?

A little of both, and it also stops officers having to fill in reams of paperwork for relatively minor offences.

becasue i;m a young driver its slightly more concerning.

Can it put my insuracne up or take away no-claims bonus?

You are legally obliged to inform your insurance company of any points received - although how much attention they pay to SP30s these days is negligible.

No, it won't take away any no claims bonus - unless you had a crash while speeding and made a claim ;)

Any one in the Insurance Business know what the normal premium increase is for an SP30.

I guess quite a few people get one these days.

i had one to add to my insurance this year + a claim for a named driver and my premium went up £150 even tho I had another year of no claim for myself.

Do Insurers actually check up on such details if you make a claim?

am pretty sure that you will not be offered the Safer Driving Course as you were going 14mph over the speed limit, which is a shame really as i got a lot out of going to one when i was caught by a speed camera. you will more than likely just get the mandatory fine (£60) and 3 points. i wouldn't have thought you'd be brought up before a court for that, but i'm no expert. you'll just have to wait for the letter to come throught the post i'm afraid....live n learn tho mate, next time you feel like speeding just ask yourself if it is worth £60,points, increased insurance,worry and everything else that is now concerning you..... good luck :cool:

i got caught doing 36 on a 30 down hiltingbury road about 2 years ago. Officer with a speed gun on the side of the road pulled me over. He offered me the course straight away instead of the points. I think it costs about £20 more than the normal fine... but in the scheme of things it worth it as you dont get the points on your licence, and the course is actualy quite informative.

Spy, a lot depends on how much the claim is for and they don't go through every smallish claim with

a fine toothed comb.However they do pick some reasonable ones at random and have a good look.

So it depends how lucky you feel but also don't forget that people get paid a bonus for every claim

they can throw out.

Spy, a lot depends on how much the claim is for and they don't go through every smallish claim with

a fine toothed comb.However they do pick some reasonable ones at random and have a good look.

So it depends how lucky you feel but also don't forget that people get paid a bonus for every claim

they can throw out.

Bloody hell, I must be working for the wrong insurance company then.

:)

becasue i;m a young driver its slightly more concerning.

Can it put my insuracne up or take away no-claims bonus?

I have to say im quite bitter about this, as I have recently finally shed 3 points off my license after 5 long years. I recieved an SP30 for doing 36mph in a 30, on a two lane (dual carriage way so to speak), non-residential, no life/danger road by a mobile camera, at 18 years old.

So, from my second insurance renewal at 18, to my last one at 22 I have had to declare my sp30, which has bumped my premium up consistently to the tune of £50 per annum.

I believe (again bitter...) its a real stitch up for young drivers on top whack insurance premiums.

So not only did I pay my £60 fine, and except 3 points on my license, I have also incurred a further £250 cost in increased insurance premiums over the declaration of this offence (!!!)

Never involved in any accidents or dangerous situations, never get pulled by the ob, totally unfair punishment in my opinion!

I did have six points on my license two seperate SP30's and i was worried about my motorbike insurance going up, but back then the insurance company said they paid no attention to SP30's as so many people get caught for doing very little wrong.

Of course it could of changed by now.

got caught doing 64 in a 50 just after i saw the camera and the van.

If they provide you a form to fill in and send back does this mean there is any chance of avoiding three points or a fine?

3 points and £60 quid. If you'd have been doing 66 it would have been different; 4-6 points, heavier fine and possible 7 days disqualification.

Rule of thumb, if it was definitely you, take the wrap. Don't contest it in court otherwise the fine will be based on earnings. The minimum fine you'll get is £117 based on a salary of £350 per week, plus costs, plus £15 victims surcharge.

Another rule of thumb, just don't speed.

I have to say im quite bitter about this, as I have recently finally shed 3 points off my license after 5 long years. I recieved an SP30 for doing 36mph in a 30, on a two lane (dual carriage way so to speak), non-residential, no life/danger road by a mobile camera, at 18 years old.

So, from my second insurance renewal at 18, to my last one at 22 I have had to declare my sp30, which has bumped my premium up consistently to the tune of £50 per annum.

I believe (again bitter...) its a real stitch up for young drivers on top whack insurance premiums.

So not only did I pay my £60 fine, and except 3 points on my license, I have also incurred a further £250 cost in increased insurance premiums over the declaration of this offence (!!!)

Never involved in any accidents or dangerous situations, never get pulled by the ob, totally unfair punishment in my opinion!

So nothing to do with you speeding being an increased risk to the insurance company and therefore more likely to be involved in a claim then?

So nothing to do with you speeding being an increased risk to the insurance company and therefore more likely to be involved in a claim then?

Well, no, in my opinion. That was the argument i was trying to spin, but it clearly has not been well received by a group of clearly exemplary and far superior drivers. As i pointed out, no accidents, no incidents in my now 6 odd years of driving.

I would argue i have never posed any increased risk to my insurance company, and I have been rewarded over the years by my insurance through reduced overall premiums despite the extra cost incurred for my discrepancy all those years ago.

Again, as i said i excepted my punishment, received points on my license and paid my mandatory fine. I am arguing that the five year declaration is, in my opinion, massively unbalanced system for certain insurance groups, I would certainly say it is not a fair reflection of my driving ability.

Is that he margin for error of a car's speedo, or just a courtesy thing DSM?

The ACPO guidance is to cover the fact that the speedometer within cars are not that accurate and there is a defence in law that you took all necessary actions to the best of your ability to comply with the law. Watching your speedometer and the road and conditions is such a defence in law, plus if there was a test done on your speedo, and it was found to be inaccurate below the speed shown, it would cast doubts on the piece of equipment used to catch you. And believe me it does. These pieces of kit are only as accurate as those using them, and it was one of my road closures that Panorama did the documentary where an expert debunked laser speed cameras. Therefore prosecutions are done on the balance that if you are above the formula, the conviction would be safe. I am not advocating anyone going down this road, as it could cost the best part of £5k-10k to prove and if you don't you will get a bigger punishment.

I have done one of the Driver Awareness Courses, 34 in a 30. If I was going 1 mph slower, I wouldn't have been charged. The position of the van was also illegal, as it was parked on grass, and not on the road, and he didn't have a clear view of me, as there were trees within his view. Also I wasn't isolated in his view, as there were other vehicles and the machine, even though he may be looking at my vehicle, will lock onto the fastest speed source. I could have challenged it but didn't as I have a clean licence and like to keep it that way, and couldn't be arsed, like most people. So I took the course, which was really good, very interesting and should be part of the driving test. I couldn't put hand on heart and confess that I now drive fully within the law, but maybe a bit more clipped.

Hey, I’m ITK. I'm going to carry on.

Speed cameras do not save lives and they are not a safety device. The reason is if I wish to install one on a road job, I have to put forward a Business case, to prove it can pay for itself. Even if I want to put up a dummy one.

The reason speed cameras are being removed is not because they have saved lives, it is because councils now only get a budget and don't get to keep the revenue, the treasury does, but they still have to pay to maintain them.

Another reason for the fall in statistics is not because of reduction in speeding, it is because new EMA and SMA asphalt and anti skid coatings of the carriageways, plus major refurbishments that have gone on over the past 5 years.

They have concentrated on speeding and the biggest road crime, which is on the up, is Drink driving. I have had 3 incidents on the motorways, and my company 11, in 5 years because of drink drivers. One feller drove through my cones, almost took out my workforce and hit an excavator. We caught him and asked him why, and his response is, 'As long as your car is in good nick, the lights work, you have tax,insurence and MOT, and you DON'T speed, whose going to catch you, there are no rozzers around even if you are driving all over the road.' With logic like that how can you argue?

Anyway, after what I have said, don't speed please, especially on the Motorway. I work next to vehicles going at 70, 80, 90 miles and hour, and all that I have to protect me and the boys are two lines of plastic, 1m high, 1.2m apart. And I have seen the aftermath of speeding and it isn’t nice.

3 points and £60 quid. If you'd have been doing 66 it would have been different; 4-6 points, heavier fine and possible 7 days disqualification.

Rule of thumb, if it was definitely you, take the wrap. Don't contest it in court otherwise the fine will be based on earnings. The minimum fine you'll get is £117 based on a salary of £350 per week, plus costs, plus £15 victims surcharge.

Another rule of thumb, just don't speed.

i;m a student so technically don't have earnings

and won't be contesting, father would go ape if he found out