Shawshank NO1 film of all time. agree?

Mr X

it's a good overall consensus though and IMDB is considered the best reference, all those top 100 action films etc etc......... shows on channel four are all done from these results

Were you implying that dark knight is good or bad?

Edited by Mr X

No such thing as a 'best film of all time' - it's totally subjective.

While I agree that Shawshank is an excellent film, and I appreciate why it has global appeal, I couldn't go so far as to say it's the best ever. I couldn't even say it is my personal favourite; no film can claim that title as there are so many films that I like for completely different reasons that I couldn't possibly place one above the other. It would have to be a 'top ten in no particular order'.

Shawshank is an excellent film IMO. But these things are all relative, and these lists are only useful as a guide. Saint Stevo prefers Pulp Fiction, which I don't like as it glorifies callous violence, and Dog loves Goodfellas, which I think is an ok'ish film. Horses for courses really. Obviously, enough people thought Shawshank was better than other films. It still doesn't make it the best. It is one of my favourites though, and often these things can change with one's mood anyway. I was fixing a computer the other day, and A Matter Of Life And Death was on the TV. I stopped to watch a bit, and stayed until the end because it is another superb film. The best..? Well, no doubt some people would think so.

and enemy at the gates doesn't make the top 250?!

Why would it? I have nothing against it but, with the exception of Bob Hoskin's Russian accent I there was nothing remarkable about it.

The best film ever is the Big Lebowski, anyone who disagrees is a dork.

1. Big Lebowski

2. Barton Fink

3. Lilya 4Ever

4. Carne trémula

5. Little Shop Of Horrors

My top five:

1. Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

2. Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

3. Scooby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire

4. Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase

5. The Shawshank Redemption

It was a toss-up between Shawshank and Scooby Doo meets the Harlem Globetrotters for fifth tbh.

Why would it? I have nothing against it but, with the exception of Bob Hoskin's Russian accent I there was nothing remarkable about it.

The best film ever is the Big Lebowski, anyone who disagrees is a dork.

1. Big Lebowski

2. Barton Fink

3. Lilya 4Ever

4. Carne trémula

5. Little Shop Of Horrors

Sheesh.

As someone who made the effort to see every film on thr top 250 I would say that it's a good indication of what 20-30 year old americans think are the best films of all time. Once you get your head around the fact that's imdb is full of trolls and old/foreign films hardly get a look in it's a pretty good way to find good films. the best lists to look at are the genre/decades lists. The more interesting films trun up there.

On the other hand theres no way Shawshank the is the best films of all time. Good, maybe even very good but not the best.

• 2 years later...
I like Shawshank but it's not my favourite, that's It's a Wonderful Life.

The ridiculous thing is that Shawshank and Pulp Fiction were released in the same year, but what film won the oscar that year?

Forest ****ing Gump!

Ah but IMO forest gump is a better film than shawshank. Shawshank is a brilliant film obviously, but as has already been said, its totally subjective. I enjoyed TRON more than I did shawshank, see? You cant look at a list and take it as red.

An excellent film helped by the fact I like both Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. My favourite films going back a way are :

The Life of Brian

The Great Escape

Marathon Man

Dead Poet's Society

Enemy Mine

War of The Worlds ( 1953 version and not the very disappointing 2005 remake)

Point Break

Solaris

The Andromeda Strain

The Omega Man