Car Insurance

Jillyanne

Got my renewal quote last week from A-Plan. I called Direct Line who could better it by £90.00. I called A-Plan back and told them and they bettered Direct Line's quote by a further £30.00. Why the hell don't they look for the cheapest price in the first place?

Stupid, just stupid imho.

Thieving gits thats what.

I did similar with the RAC. The sent me a renewal quote, i phoned them and told them the AA had quoted me half what they did. ( i made it up as I hadn't phoned anyone else) and they instantly matched the quote I had made up.

this happens to me every year, i never renew with the same company straight away, do all the 'confused' and 'simples' stuff get a cheaper quote, more often than not with my current company but with a different underwriter, take it out with them, then get a call from current company asking why i aint renewed my policy with them, tell them i got a better price elsewhere and then they ask me if i would give them a chance to beat it!! I always say no , cos if they could quote me cheaper than my new quote with the same underwriter then they would have, surely? 'ah well' they say. goodbye, I say.

Got my renewal quote last week from A-Plan. I called Direct Line who could better it by £90.00. I called A-Plan back and told them and they bettered Direct Line's quote by a further £30.00. Why the hell don't they look for the cheapest price in the first place?

Why don't you just look for the cheapest quote in the first place, which would not be going through A-Plan or Direct Line.

I have yet to see anyone that can get a cheaper quote than using compare the market or confused.

Oh, and the answer to your question is that they will have given you the quote of one of their 'preffered' providers first, this will be someone who will pay an extra premium in their search listings to come up first.

....and try and buy your insurance through a cash-back website.

I insured my car with RAC Direct last year through Quidco, and this reduced the price down to £300 after the £70 cash back, which was cheaper than any quote on comparison websites.

Money Saving Expert website has a good article on how to get the best quote. Might take a little while to go through all the steps, but can end up saving hundreds of pounds.

The cash back does take a few months to come through, but it does get paid eventually.

Also got free breakdown cover when insuring with RAC, which saves more money if you pay for this separately.

Got a qoute, 1800 for my first car

:(

I put my details through 4 different comparison sites this time around - the cheapest price from tescocompare was £750, the best from gocompare was £400. And the other two were in between.

It pays to shop around.