Stella Artois

Dog

Seeming though it costs almost as much as Guinness in pubs now, I think the chav crown is firmly on Foster's head.

Don't know, its abv is too low for them it won't kill their remaining brain cell quickly enough! Plus they tend to buy it in Tesco's rather than the pub. Either way the onlly reason it became popular was because of programmes like, Men Behaving Badly and the whole "lad" culture of the mid 90's.

The last time I drank it when it was the only available lager at a family party it made me feel f***ing ill. I won't touch it now!

Don't know, its abv is too low for them it won't kill their remaining brain cell quickly enough! Plus they tend to buy it in Tesco's rather than the pub. Either way the onlly reason it became popular was because of programmes like, Men Behaving Badly and the whole "lad" culture of the mid 90's.

The last time I drank it when it was the only available lager at a family party it made me feel f***ing ill. I won't touch it now!

I tend to stay away from it. It's in the same bracket as Fosters, Castemaine XXXX and sadly Becks Vier.

Isn't sold in Belguim pubs. It is considered a very low standard lager, drunk by taxi drivers and Turkish bus drivers.

Hmmm, now I have just spoken to a family member who has just come back from Belgium, he said they do have it there, and tried to buy a Leffe and got a Stella in a few pubs, I can only assume he was in Leuven (sp?)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
And their version of it tastes loads better than the Stella brewed under license in the UK!!!

The only time I have ever drunk Stella was when in France or Belgium, where it tastes a lot different to here. Then and when Whitbread were on strike in Kent and it was cheaper to import Stella from Belgium to supply the local pubs than to bring it down in tankers from 'oop North.

The only time I have ever drunk Stella was when in France or Belgium, where it tastes a lot different to here. Then and when Whitbread were on strike in Kent and it was cheaper to import Stella from Belgium to supply the local pubs than to bring it down in tankers from 'oop North.

Tiny contradiction there ;)

Has anyone noticed that Interbev (the global giant that brews Stella and "thanks" to a recent takeover Bud as well) are shying away from Stella's thug image and trying to rebrand as a family of Artois beers. The bok actually isn't too bad. Interbev's claim that the beer is 500 years or so old is tosh though - one of the ingredients is maize for a start! I think British Chavs have done for Stella what football hoolies did for Burberry.

In Belgium itself, the youngsters drink of choice tends to be Jupiler and like the UK, they get on to the fine historical brews as they get slightly older - De Konick in Antwerp, Westmalle, Kwak, Moortgat (Duvel and Maredsous), Tongerlo, Orval and if you can ever find it, Westerveleren.

Has anyone noticed that Interbev (the global giant that brews Stella and "thanks" to a recent takeover Bud as well) are shying away from Stella's thug image and trying to rebrand as a family of Artois beers. The bok actually isn't too bad. Interbev's claim that the beer is 500 years or so old is tosh though - one of the ingredients is maize for a start! I think British Chavs have done for Stella what football hoolies did for Burberry.

In Belgium itself, the youngsters drink of choice tends to be Jupiler and like the UK, they get on to the fine historical brews as they get slightly older - De Konick in Antwerp, Westmalle, Kwak, Moortgat (Duvel and Maredsous), Tongerlo, Orval and if you can ever find it, Westerveleren.

Ah, now you're talking, lovely stuff.

Ah, now you're talking, lovely stuff.

What astonishes me is that you get these old ladies in places like Antwerp and Ghent drinking it in cafes at 10.30am and it's gorgeous but not called the `Devil` for nothing! World class beer although Maredsous is just as good when it's been aged for 18 months or so, I opened a Maredsous 8 that I'd put down since 2006 and it was just wonderful. I've got a Rochefort 10 that I bought in 2003 still maturing nicely...

• 2 weeks later...

Good assessment. There is a progression through the brands dependent on age. As you say, if you walk around any of the city centres on match day (particularly in flanders), the locals will be drinking Jupiler (primary sponsor of the league of course too).

The 30's/40's tend to drink Palm or "Konicke" (De Konick) and as age pushes on (and wealth for whatever reason) they drink the darker beers such as Duvel.

Kronenbourg is horrible,and that new,stronger Heineken is lethal.

I love Kronenbourg the best tasting lager in the UK at the moment IMO. One of only two lagers I drink with any regularity(Carlsberg Export being the other), never been to France so haven't tried it there, and Becks is much better in Germany than the cr@p we get over here.

:drinkers:

• 3 weeks later...
Isn't sold in Belguim pubs. It is considered a very low standard lager, drunk by taxi drivers and Turkish bus drivers.

Having lived and worked in Belgium for 13 years I can only say that you are talking out of your @rse !

I don't particularly like Stella (Leffe blonde is my tipple!) but you will find it in thousands of pubs throughout the country !!

Maas and Jupiler are probably the mainstream lagers but whatever your personal taste it is carbage to suggets that it is not availaable in local pubs !!

Having lived and worked in Belgium for 13 years I can only say that you are talking out of your @rse !

I don't particularly like Stella (Leffe blonde is my tipple!) but you will find it in thousands of pubs throughout the country !!

Maas and Jupiler are probably the mainstream lagers but whatever your personal taste it is carbage to suggets that it is not availaable in local pubs !!

:)

Sh^t I must have been on the Stella !

:)