BIOS/CMOS Problem

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

My daughter's ex has set a BIOS password on her laptop which he has refused to tell her. I can't get at the CMOS battery to remove it or reset the jumpers. I have removed the HDD and backed it up but it also appears that it has been wiped of all data.

Can anyone on here access the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS?

The laptop is a Gateway ML6226B

Thanks in advance...:rolleyes:

On those laptops, isn't it under the keyboard?

Anyway, can you not contact the Manufacturer and see if they have a 'backdoor' password that will always allow access over set BIOS password. They might not just give this out though for obvious reasons.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
On those laptops, isn't it under the keyboard?

Anyway, can you not contact the Manufacturer and see if they have a 'backdoor' password that will always allow access over set BIOS password. They might not just give this out though for obvious reasons.

I contacted them and they want £50 odd to have a look at it with no promise that it will be fixed. They reckon that it may be a permanent state of affairs which needs a replacement mobo.

There is the old myth, of sticking the laptop in a freezer for 10 mins can reset this. As said probably a myth... And ofcourse tried at your own risk.

http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_gateway.html

You could also try the above link, explains step by step how to take apart certain gateway laptops. Alternatively you could find this chap and 'persuade' him to kindly give you the password.

Edited by Benj540

Here you go DSM. This MUST help a bit. Once you've found where the CMOS battery lives, you can get to it via some instructions.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Oasis/8511725_Service.pdf

Here's where that came from:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/Oasis/1014457R/1014457Rnv.shtml

and here is the user guide list, where I found the service guide:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/Oasis/1014457R/1014457Rul.shtml

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The CMOS battery lives under the keyboard it seems. I've followed the instructions but I just cannot release the keyboard however hard I try.

Methinks a trip to the PC shop tomorrow, if they bugger up the case when they release the keyboard they can pay for the repair.

The CMOS battery lives under the keyboard it seems. I've followed the instructions but I just cannot release the keyboard however hard I try.

Methinks a trip to the PC shop tomorrow, if they bugger up the case when they release the keyboard they can pay for the repair.

Ive had quite a few open mate, swing past this evening if you like and let me have a crack, or im in my office now (Eastleigh)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Btw mate, if you ever see this bloke again, give him a thump for all the trouble he's caused.

I'm in a bloody long queue. He left her with a 4 month old son and nowhere to live. He hasn't paid a penny towards the baby and my daughter has been assaulted by his parents when she went round to get her stuff back. They refused and she had to have the Police go round to get it.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Sorted yet..?

Going to take it over to Baj later on to see if he can remove the keyboard. If removing the battery works, all well and good, if not then we will be making an allegation of criminal damage against him.

My daughter's ex that is, not Baj.

Still.......:D