learner legal 125cc bikes

Glasgow_Saint

Understand there re a few motorbike enthusiasts on this forum so thought this could be a good place for some advice.....

I have recently relocated to Glasgow (work) and renting a house 6 miles (20 min drive/ride) from city centre. I am considering a motorbike (125cc) for the commute and wandered which to go for?

Top of my list right now is the Honda VT Shadow.......anyone had one? any other suggestions? Needs to be 125cc as only done my CBT!

p.s How can I arrange a name change?

honda-vt-125-shadow-1.jpg

Can't comment on this particular Honda, but I have a relative who pops by on his 125cc cruiser occasionally. It is mechanically very sound, yet when one opens the throttle, all you get is induction roar and a gentle increase in speed.

I know cruisers look good, but honestly, if you're restricted to 125cc, I'd get a lightweight trail bike. Nimble in traffic, and with enough performance to get you out of trouble. Something like this:

rmr125%20s.jpg

Even if you never use it offroad, I suspect you'd find it more satisfying in the end. Above all, test ride a few.

Edited by St Landrew

You've probably chosen the most inappropriate bike for city commuting! The problem with cruisers are that your vision is restricted because you're low down, the are not very nimble which is essential for filtering and they make you look like an extra from a motley crue video :p As St.Landrew has already said 'off-road' style bikes are ideal as you can see over the traffic (and at the same time become more visable to them!) they're quite nimble and are usually quite tough. If you're short forget that and get a 125 scooter, they've got storage for your helmet and gloves built in and are quick and nimble enough to not be a problem in traffic. Above all try and test a bike before you buy. How about this?

http://www.suzukilowpayments.co.uk/model_dr125sm.html

Remember that it snows and rains for about ten months of the year in Glasgow. A motorbike may seem like a good idea now, but might not in February.

Not many people decide to change to motorbikes through a process of sheer logic. There's many reasons for sticking with a car, and in the UK, the changing seasons is one of the biggest. But we don't all run around in practical cars, so not all 4-wheeled vehicles have been chosen through a logical process either. At least with bikes, and scooters for that matter, there is still enough room on the road to really enjoy the experience, even for just the warmer months. And if nothing else, traffic jams are just a minor hindrance. Think of that, next time you're frustratedly bouncing up and down in your driving seat waiting while your life passes by. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

Think of that, next time you're frustratedly bouncing up and down in your driving seat waiting while your life passes by. ;)

Very true, StL. Statistically speaking, your life is very likely to pass you by much faster if you're a motorcyclist.

http://greece2day.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/yamaha-yzf-r125.jpg

My bike is the Yamaha YZFR125, its the newest edition to Yamaha's R series. Best 125cc out there in IMHO.

I Used to own the Shadow VT125, it was actually stolen from me! Very nice bike, but tops out at around 65mph. Really depends how fast you want it to go. The Shadow is very comfortable, as you'd expect from a cruiser style bike.

The Yamaha YZFR125 is built to same dimensions as it bigger brothers the Yamaha R1 and R6, and reaches about 85mph. So its more then at home on any A road.

If you need any more advice feel free to PM me, I've ridden most learner legal bikes at some point (I work for a Motorcycle dealership in Staffordshire)

Very true, StL. Statistically speaking, your life is very likely to pass you by much faster if you're a motorcyclist.

Jeez Ponty, I took the teeniest tiniest swipe at what it's like being a car driver compared to being a bike rider, and YOU BIT DOWN HARD on the bait. For goodness sake mate, I'm a car driver too.

Why can't you just let some things go..? ;)

I rode a bike for long enough to appreciate the up and downsides of that too, StL. Five relatively nasty accidents (only one of them my own fault), in a single year, put me off quite a bit though.

• 2 weeks later...