England team for Wednesday?

Bailey

I, like many others, am struggling to care about England these days but I'm sure a win against Croatia would go some way to getting the fans back on side.

Anyway, for those that DO care, what do you think the starting 11 will be? I'd imagine J.Cole will be recalled after his goals against Andorra, but can we expect any other changes?

If it weren't such an important game, I'd be tempted to make some drastic changes and really raise some eyebrows. I'd go with the following . . .

---------------- Green ---------------

Johnson -- Ferdinand -- Terry -- A.Cole

Bentley --- Barry --- Bullard --- J.Cole

---------- Rooney --- Walcott ---------

I'd have thought we'll mostly play for a draw, perhaps looking to nick one on the break.

For that reason, I expect Walcott to retain his place on the right. Heskey will come in in place of Defoe as he's a good outlet to have when we're on the back foot (which will be most of the time, I suspect). Wes Brown has much better positional play than Glen Johnson, so he'll probably come in at right back. Lampard and Rooney, while clearly deserving of a place on the bench, won't be dropped.

James

Brown - Ferdinand - Terry - A Cole

Walcott - Barry - Lumpoflard - J Cole

Rooney - Heskey

As for the idea of putting Robert Green in goal, remember what happened the last time we dropped the first choice keeper in favour of a promising younger player before a game against Croatia? ;)

I'd have thought we'll mostly play for a draw, perhaps looking to nick one on the break.

For that reason, I expect Walcott to retain his place on the right. Heskey will come in in place of Defoe as he's a good outlet to have when we're on the back foot (which will be most of the time, I suspect). Wes Brown has much better positional play than Glen Johnson, so he'll probably come in at right back. Lampard and Rooney, while clearly deserving of a place on the bench, won't be dropped.

James

Rooney - Heskey

As for the idea of putting Robert Green in goal, remember what happened the last time we dropped the first choice keeper in favour of a promising younger player before a game against Croatia? ;)

I would go with that.....

however, I reckon he will start with becks on the right purely for his experience...I would love to see walcott play at any point though..

as for rooney, I reckon he could be on his last legs as an england starter should he have another bad game and the return of owen

My team

---------------- Overrated rubbish---------------

Overrated rubbish-- Overrated rubbish-- Overrated rubbish-- AOverrated rubbish

Overrated rubbish--- Overrated rubbish--- Overrated rubbish--- J.Cole

---------- Overrated rubbish--- Overrated rubbish---------

Who are you putting on the subs bench?

My squad would be:

James,

W Brown, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole

Beckham, Barry, Lampard, J Cole

Heskey, DeFoe

I thought about Beckham in the centre with Walcott on the right but I think we'd get overrun so maybe err on the side of caution. I'd like to drop Lampard too but that seemed to create problems elsewhere as Gerrard is out and i'm not sure about a suitable replacement.

Rooney hasn't done anything particualrly good since Euro2004, hence I'd drop him. Then again, he's due a good game so maybe he'll rise to the occasion against Croatia.

Probale Capello team:

James

Brown, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole

Beckham, Barry, Lampard, J Cole

Rooney Heskey

James

Rooney - Heskey

Remember the last time you you didn't drop the first choice goallie for the match against Croatia? ;)

Anyway, my team would be:

---------James

Brown Ferdinand Terry A.Cole

Walcott Bullard Barry Bentley

---------J.Cole

---------Heskey

Although maybe in preactise it might look more like this:

-----------James-----------

----------------------------

Brown Ferdinand Terry A.Cole

-----------------------------

--------Bullard Barry---------

Walcott----J.Cole-----Bentley

-----------Heskey-----------

Edited by Saint Martini

Bentley on the left and Bullard in for Lampard... crazy

Ok, maybe a bit overboard with playing Bullard ahead of Lampard but Bentley on the left will work just fine. Especially since it will create space for A.Cole to run into. No point in playing J.Cole on the left, he doesn't work well together with A.Cole.

You guys know more about this than I do so could someone please explain to me why A. Cole gets picked over Wayne Bridge.

I think Bridge offers far more from the deep left. Am I being silly?

Bridge isn't even playing Premier League football at the moment. If he'd left Chelsea and gone elsewhere, he'd have been first choice left-back for his new club and in with a much better shout of getting a game for England.

Instead, he chose to sign a new 4-year contract on about £50k a week.

Bridge isn't even playing Premier League football at the moment. If he'd left Chelsea and gone elsewhere, he'd have been first choice left-back for his new club and in with a much better shout of getting a game for England.

Instead, he chose to sign a new 4-year contract on about £50k a week.

Thanks Steve. I still think he'd be better for England AND for Chelsea :(

I dont care as the same players will play when they dont deserve to. lampard will for who knows whatever reason.

Because he's the best option? Jenas and Bullard are the only other real options at the moment and bringing either of those in is a ridiculous idea.

Lampard is a bit of a broken man at this level but he's a class above the likes of Jenas and Bullard.

Because he's the best option? Jenas and Bullard are the only other real options at the moment and bringing either of those in is a ridiculous idea.

Lampard is a bit of a broken man at this level but he's a class above the likes of Jenas and Bullard.

IMO I dont think he is. I'd go for a midfield of Walcott, Barry, Cole and Beckham. With Rooney playing off Heskey up front.

I'm just dismayed that a lot of players dont seem to turn up for international matches. Whereas opposition teams want to play for their country.

Carragher's comments in his book made me mad but sadly I feel more players take the same line as him.

James

Brown Terry Ferdinand Cole

Beckham Barry Lampard Cole

Rooney Heskey

That will be the team. Is anyone going? Gutted I couldn't make it out there, but found out today i'm guarenteed a ticket for Germany away, so happy days.

What about the Scottish player (Lee McCulloch?) who's said he won't ever play for Scotland again whilst Burley is in charge :D

Then he is a knob of the highest order who should never be allowed to have the honour of playing for his country again just because he does not agree with/like the manager.

Slaven Billic(sp?) has said England are too predicatable and do not particularly worry him, unsure as to whether he meant Englands probable team selection or style of play.

Maybe if England changed from the usual suspects who are nearly always selected no matter what their form, they may do better in certain games. I think a draw away against Croatia would be a good result, followed by a victory against them at home which is not impossible to imagine.

Is it only on Setanta again?

Yep.

According to the Telegraph, Setanta are demanding £1m from any British broadcaster who wants to show highlights of the game. This comes after they blew £5m on buying the live rights to this one match. No wonder they've got financial problems!

I agree with Saint Martini.

Playing Joe Cole on the left is madness because a) he doesn't work well with Cashley, and b) he's our only decent creative player and should play just off the striker(s), not be exiled to the wing.

Having said that, I won't be watching as I'll be too busy playing with my willy.

What I dont understand is why doesnt Capello just say balls to you im going with youth. Our team could be

Hart

Onuha

Richards

Taylor

A cole

Walcott

Micheal Johnson

Reo-Coker

A young

Ashton

Agbonlahor

In my opinion the obvious animosity between the fans and players is we are fed up with under achievment and they hate the pressure? A young,hungry team who wont be fazed or paralised by fear would have the complete backing from the public IMO

What I dont understand is why doesnt Capello just say balls to you im going with youth. Our team could be

Hart

Onuha

Richards

Taylor

A cole

Walcott

Micheal Johnson

Reo-Coker

A young

Ashton

Agbonlahor

In my opinion the obvious animosity between the fans and players is we are fed up with under achievment and they hate the pressure? A young,hungry team who wont be fazed or paralised by fear would have the complete backing from the public IMO

Ah, the highly successful Southampton Football Club model. You don't actually want to qualify then? ;)

Hart

Onuha

Richards

Taylor

A cole

Walcott

Micheal Johnson

Reo-Coker

A young

Ashton

Agbonlahor

oh gosh, that would be a car crash waiting to happen.