Aston Martin Joins F1 for 2010

Arizona

Aston Martin/Prodrive have submitted an entry for the 2010 season along with Lola (remember them from Friday practice in Oz '97 :D), USF1 (possibly with Danica Patrick) and Litespeed (them again :rolleyes:)

More good news, all the current F1 teams, including Toyota, have submitted entries for next season it would seem. Apparently this is conditional, although I'm not sure what the conditions are.

A 28 car grid, W00T. We just need Jaguar, Minardi and Jordan back now.

The conditions are that all of the teams who intend to enter next year sign a Concorde agreement tying them into F1 until 2012 - that should see off the tyrekickers like Litespeed and Campos, and that if one team withdraws due to the FIA moving the goalposts, they all withdraw - that protects Ferrari and the other big names. The budgetary capping, technical restrictions, etc. are all to be set by the members of FOTA, not the FIA.

The conditions are that all of the teams who intend to enter next year sign a Concorde agreement tying them into F1 until 2012 - that should see off the tyrekickers like Litespeed and Campos, and that if one team withdraws due to the FIA moving the goalposts, they all withdraw - that protects Ferrari and the other big names. The budgetary capping, technical restrictions, etc. are all to be set by the members of FOTA, not the FIA.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Litespeed, especially considering the jobs they are advertising in Autosport and the tie in they have made with Mike Gascoigne. They are a very ambitious organisation, regardless of any success they may/may not have, I applaud their audacity.

We shall see.

Aston Martin/Prodrive have submitted an entry for the 2010 season along with Lola (remember them from Friday practice in Oz '97 :D), USF1 (possibly with Danica Patrick) and Litespeed (them again :rolleyes:)

More good news, all the current F1 teams, including Toyota, have submitted entries for next season it would seem. Apparently this is conditional, although I'm not sure what the conditions are.

And Lotus, and Tyrell, and Brabham.

What happened to Lola in '97? I remember them entering and pulling out before qualifying. Were they so slow that they decided not to bother?

What happened to Lola in '97? I remember them entering and pulling out before qualifying. Were they so slow that they decided not to bother?

IIRC this was when we still had the 107% rule in qualifying and the Lolas couldn't get within 2 days of it in practice, so didin't bother to turn up for qualy and were never seen again. Not entirely sure, I'm sure a quick Google will give you more precise info.

And yes, I have Tyrell, Lotus and Brabham back too. And Arrows. Too all the moaners saying that's too many cars, we just have to bring in larger tracks, like the old Nurburg, old Hockenheim and this beast in Argentina...

potrero2sm7.jpg

Even more good news, I heard a rumour the Hungarian GP is threatening to pull out. :D

In effect. Yes

The announced their re-entry to the sport late on in 1996, aiming for a 1998 entry, but the main sponsor, Mastercard, said, enter next year or don't count on us.

They designed their car in basically a couple of months flat, resulting in a dog slow abomination (too much drag on the straights, no aerogrip in the corners.) A superb lesson in how NOT to do it, they contrasted well with Stewart that year.

And Wolf, Hesketh, Ligier and Shadow.

Cant see Bernie allowing 28 cars to start though I would guess that 4 will be cut during practice.

And the current qualifying format would need to be changed as well, it would have to be 21-28 out first, then 11-20 and then a top-ten shootout like it is now. They would probably have to extend the times of the first two sessions to account for the extra traffic on the track.

It seems that only 13 entries will be accepted, chaps, so there's no need for pre-qualifying or any of that nonsense. It will probably be the 10 existing teams, USGPE (who are financially ready to compete as things are currently), Prodrive (Aston) and Lola (the best of the rest as far as infrastructure is concerned). The other entries will be politely declined, I should imagine.

They used to be a force in F1, even up to about the time you mentioned, but, more exclusively, they've been heavily involved in US open-wheelers, providing the chassis for the old Champ Car series. They've certainly got the nous to knock up a decent chassis but I've no idea how competitive they can be after such a long break.

Larousse (sp?) with Erik Comas, and Ilmor? Remember them in '94, I think they only managed to qualify a couple of times. Then again, Ilmor went on to help design F1 engines.

The Mercedes engines are made by Ilmor... Or at least they were, I think they might have moved operations.

Ilmor now exist again in their own right. They where swallowed up by Mercedes after Morgan's death, but in the mid part of this decade Mario Illien bought back the 'special products' division of the company alongside Roger Penske and now it is running independantly again as Ilmor Engineering in both Northamptonshire and the USA. They are one of our customers.

I see Ilmor were in MotoGP too, back in 2007 they entered one race before they decided they were not quick enough, nice looking bike though...

ilmor.jpg

I see when they raced in F1 they only built the engines rather than it's own team, they were the Pacific Ilmor team with Luxembourg driver Bertrand Gachot and Paul Belmondo who bought his way into the team, interesting to see that Oliver Gavin did all the testing for them, didn't he end up driving the safety car in the end :lol:

1994-pacific.jpg

Average Austrian driver Alex Wurz is apparently trying to enter a team called Superfund in next years championship. They're going to have to filter 3 or 4 candidates from them, Campos, Aston Martin, US Grand Prix, Litespeed and Lola. Be interesting to see who makes it onto the grid. Would love to see an Aston in British Racing Green.

Fantastic news! Really hope this happens.

Chickens not counted. They submitted an entry for 2009 and about-turned quite quickly when they were told they couldn't just buy the McLaren chassis and engine. I'm not sure enough has changed as AM/Prodrive have actually shed staff and reduced in size/wealth since. The only thing that points to a possible entry is their full withdrawal from WRC.

Chickens not counted. They submitted an entry for 2009 and about-turned quite quickly when they were told they couldn't just buy the McLaren chassis and engine. I'm not sure enough has changed as AM/Prodrive have actually shed staff and reduced in size/wealth since. The only thing that points to a possible entry is their full withdrawal from WRC.

Splitting hairs I know, bust wasn't it the 2008 season they were meant to be entering?

As this thread has raised its head again, would anyone like to say which series they'd rather watch next year, if the sh*t indeed hits the fan on Friday.

Formula 1 World Championship - A cheap, dumbed down series featuring a single engine (Cosworth), low expenditure and 2 or 3 chassis (the rest would have to be customers next year - there is not enough time to design and build an F1 car ready for January testing, but some classic names - Lola, Aston, Lotus, Campos (lol), Superfund, USGPE, Williams, Force India, etc. Also worth noting that the most glory-covered driver on the grid would be Giancarlo Fisichella as all the drivers from the FOTA teams have signed to stay with a breakaway series should that happen.

or

Grand Prix World Championship - Featuring Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Toyota, Renault, Brawn, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, etc. with realistic expenditure to maintain the cutting technology of current Formula 1 and featuring drivers such as Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonnen, Button, Massa, Kubica et al.

Just interested like.

What was I saying earlier about Lotus returning?...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8084475.stm

:cool::D

It's just Litespeed rebadge, but it would be good to see a Lotus on the grid again. Shame they can't get sponosored by Johnny Player Special.

Ponty, I'd go for the latter obviously, but it would be great to reach a compromise. F1 just wouldn't be F1 without the large amounts of cash spent on cutting edge technology.

The trouble with F1 in recent years was that everyone had to spend large amounts of money to stay on the grid, but there were two or three teams which had to be last every year. For those teams, like Honda, Jaguar, Arrows, Jordan etc. it just wasn't financially viable spending hundreds of millions bringing up the rear.

Tbh, I find all this rather amusing. Who are they trying to kid..?

redbull_129090s.jpg

and

Scuderia+Toro+Rosso+2009+F1+Launch+DVnNGeyJH0vl.jpg

There must be differences StL, unless you think the Renault engine is actually half a second a lap quicker than the Ferrari engine...

Anyway, Toro Rosso are opening a factory in the UK for next season and they're already recruiting. They're having the site of the former Red Bull 2nd wind tunnel, where they plan to design and build their 2010 car.

There must be differences StL, unless you think the Renault engine is actually half a second a lap quicker than the Ferrari engine...

Anyway, Toro Rosso are opening a factory in the UK for next season and they're already recruiting. They're having the site of the former Red Bull 2nd wind tunnel, where they plan to design and build their 2010 car.

Really? What's wrong with the old Minardi site at Faenza!?