Second Hand Car Problem

manji

Purchased a second hand Citreon C3 from a well known local Car Dealer on March 25th it had just been MOT'd and had three months guarantee on it.Within two weeks it broke down and needed a new alternator which they fixed.Then the door handle fell off which they fixed.

Two months after purchase it broke down again and they fitted a new coil while it was being fixed it sustained some minor dents and went back in a couple of days later.

Now today on the way home the warning panel was beeping (no idea) and as I drove into our drive the engine fan went into over-drive and the car started vibrating( no idea).

I have tried to start it and its seems OK (at the moment) so are taking the car back to the garage where we bought and they are going to look at it.

What I am really worried about is if there are any more faults after the guarantee runs out in a couple of weeks.I am really tempted to push for a refund.

Where do I stand ?

Any suggestions please.

They're obliged to rectify any faults, which they appear to be doing, but any work they do should carry a further guarantee so get this in writing if possible. Successfully getting a refund may or may not be nigh on impossible - depending on how awkward you and the dealer are prepared to be respectively, i.e. Sitting on the road outside their forecourt waving a list of all the faults you've suffered to prospective customers may tempt them to take the car back.

Generally speaking though, I'd be tempted to get the AA/RAC/Independant garage to give it a once over (probably cost you £50-£100) and get anything dodgy sorted by the garage before the warranty expires.

Citroen C3 though? Bit mainstream, isn't it?

They're obliged to rectify any faults, which they appear to be doing, but any work they do should carry a further guarantee so get this in writing if possible. Successfully getting a refund may or may not be nigh on impossible - depending on how awkward you and the dealer are prepared to be respectively, i.e. Sitting on the road outside their forecourt waving a list of all the faults you've suffered to prospective customers may tempt them to take the car back.

Generally speaking though, I'd be tempted to get the AA/RAC/Independant garage to give it a once over (probably cost you £50-£100) and get anything dodgy sorted by the garage before the warranty expires.

Citroen C3 though? Bit mainstream, isn't it?

LOL !!! Its our family car.

Seriously though thanks for the advice.

Not all of us like that sweeping generalisation from the 70s, Stanley.

Charmless, racist and out of touch he may be, but on this occasion he has called it straight down the line. As long as the Germans and Japanese are still churning them out, why bother with a Frenchie?

If i were you i'd ask for my money back and learn the lesson that french cars are crap.

Like Ponty, I don't think sweeping generalisations are the answer. But perhaps British cars were ultimately crap, as the British volume car industry is long gone.

• 1 month later...
If i were you i'd ask for my money back and learn the lesson that french cars are crap.

There is no such thing as the perfect car, although some are better than others. There's good and bad points in every vehicle, japanese cars included.

My Peugot 3L V6 coupe certainly wasn't, neither was my daughters Saxo VTR.

unfortunately after about 5 to 6 years the electronics go.

I loved my coupe so much I kept it far too long-the last two years it cost me more per year in repairs than my new BMW 318 auto has in finance and servicing.

BTW I also had an Audi 80 2.6 V6 from ex demo that siezed solid at 65k-the only serious engine problem I've experienced in over 40 years of car ownership!

Purchased a second hand Citreon C3 from a well known local Car Dealer on March 25th it had just been MOT'd and had three months guarantee on it.Within two weeks it broke down and needed a new alternator which they fixed.Then the door handle fell off which they fixed.

Two months after purchase it broke down again and they fitted a new coil while it was being fixed it sustained some minor dents and went back in a couple of days later.

Now today on the way home the warning panel was beeping (no idea) and as I drove into our drive the engine fan went into over-drive and the car started vibrating( no idea).

I have tried to start it and its seems OK (at the moment) so are taking the car back to the garage where we bought and they are going to look at it.

What I am really worried about is if there are any more faults after the guarantee runs out in a couple of weeks.I am really tempted to push for a refund.

Where do I stand ?

Any suggestions please.

Hi i own a car sales garage , as long as they continue to do the work you cannot push for a refund , contact citizens advice they will tell you the same , they take into account the year of the car mileage and price you paid and if the dealer is not helping at all . also wear and tear is not covered on any used car and no warranty in the land will cover it .It sounds like the garage has been more than fair with you .At least your not as bad as 1 of my customers called 6 months later to tell me that her wipers were smearing the window were they covered DOH?