Gran Turismo 5

JustMike

The problem is though that is CGI not gameplay footage.

I am a massive racing fan but after Pro-logue im not as confident that GT5 will be as good as say V:Spec. For me that was the last good Gran Turismo game and that was almost 10 years ago. Its been awhile since Polyphony reached the greatness levels we once knew.

As thesaint says above Forza 2 is a very hard game to top, it is like the pinacle of driving games for driving fans.

In contrast look at Forza 3's trailer. Thats all in game footage edited together with the new camera editing feature.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-forza-motorsport/50004

No CGI, no effects, all in game.

So for me GT5 needs a lot of work to get anywhere close to the Forza series now.

Well that's your assumption. if you check the 2nd half of the video again there are plenty of bits that are clearly external camera view of ingame footage (yes, just as much as assumptions as yours i guess, but its pretty obvious i think)

I am a massive racing fan but after Pro-logue im not as confident that GT5 will be as good as say V:Spec. For me that was the last good Gran Turismo game and that was almost 10 years ago. Its been awhile since Polyphony reached the greatness levels we once knew.

As thesaint says above Forza 2 is a very hard game to top, it is like the pinacle of driving games for driving fans.

In contrast look at Forza 3's trailer. Thats all in game footage edited together with the new camera editing feature.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-forza-motorsport/50004

No CGI, no effects, all in game.

So for me GT5 needs a lot of work to get anywhere close to the Forza series now.

how can you say that having not seen the full game? Im reserving my judgement until i have played it.

I like that they have introduced crash damage and the NASCAR link is a nice touch too.

how can you say that having not seen the full game? Im reserving my judgement until i have played it.

I like that they have introduced crash damage and the NASCAR link is a nice touch too.

Im comparing Prologue to Forza 2. GT5:Prologue is not as good as Forza 2. Metascore wise Prologue got 80% while Forza 2 got 90%. Now scores don't mean anything other then critical acclaim but the point here is that GT5 is run on the same engine as Prologue. Prologue is technically a demo of the full game. Nothing major will be different except polishing of the game.

Forza 3 is a game that has been built on a whole new engine with the help of all the manafacturers and specifcly over 300 individual car designers/makers.

So my point is that if Forza 2's engine/gameplay etc was better then GT5:Prologues then that means GT5 will have to be a lot better then its demo.

Forza is like what the Gran Turismo series should of been like after V:Spec.

As you mention Gran Turismo now has damage. It is things like that which hold back the series. Look at the crash scene in that Forza trailer or in games like say Burnout. Gran Turismo prided itself on being the racing simulator but in comparison now to other games it is not as good in terms of realism.

I would consider myself a huge Gran Turismo fan, i probably put more hours into Gt1,2 and V:spec then any other games. But after V:Spec all the GT games have been somewhat dissapointing to me.

GT5 deffinatly has the potential to be a good game but it as i mentioned it would need to beat the Forza series to become great, something it has never done scores wise and on the basis of its demo Prologue i just don't think it is anywhere near that level.

Im comparing Prologue to Forza 2. GT5:Prologue is not as good as Forza 2. Metascore wise Prologue got 80% while Forza 2 got 90%. Now scores don't mean anything other then critical acclaim but the point here is that GT5 is run on the same engine as Prologue. Prologue is technically a demo of the full game. Nothing major will be different except polishing of the game.

Forza 3 is a game that has been built on a whole new engine with the help of all the manafacturers and specifcly over 300 individual car designers/makers.

So my point is that if Forza 2's engine/gameplay etc was better then GT5:Prologues then that means GT5 will have to be a lot better then its demo.

Forza is like what the Gran Turismo series should of been like after V:Spec.

As you mention Gran Turismo now has damage. It is things like that which hold back the series. Look at the crash scene in that Forza trailer or in games like say Burnout. Gran Turismo prided itself on being the racing simulator but in comparison now to other games it is not as good in terms of realism.

I would consider myself a huge Gran Turismo fan, i probably put more hours into Gt1,2 and V:spec then any other games. But after V:Spec all the GT games have been somewhat dissapointing to me.

GT5 deffinatly has the potential to be a good game but it as i mentioned it would need to beat the Forza series to become great, something it has never done scores wise and on the basis of its demo Prologue i just don't think it is anywhere near that level.

because prologue was more a demo. forza was the full game. They would have had loads of feedback from the prologue game and adjusted accordingly. Beta testing if you like. You only have to see how long it has taken to get the full game out after the prologue release. Dont get me wrong Forza is awesome.

Still i will reserve judgement until the full release but i wouldnt be too quick to slag it off just yet

because prologue was more a demo. forza was the full game. They would have had loads of feedback from the prologue game and adjusted accordingly. Beta testing if you like. You only have to see how long it has taken to get the full game out after the prologue release. Dont get me wrong Forza is awesome.

Still i will reserve judgement until the full release but i wouldnt be too quick to slag it off just yet

Don't get me wrong i will still give it a go. Gran Turismo could re-create the glory days it had on the PS1& the early part of PS2 era. But for that to happen a lot needs to change with the game. As i tried to say Gran Tursimo Prologue is GT5. They have not gone back to the start and re-designed things from scratch. The cars will look the same, the tracks will looks the same, but more importantly the physics will be the same. They are bound to the engine it is built in. For me that is the main thing that needs to change, the physics feel all wrong. Like you are driving on rails. For example we all use the old crash into the guy in front technique to get around the corners. You do that once in a Forza game and your car will be totalled. In Forza you know the thing you dont want to do is to either hit another car or hit a curb/wall/grass and so on. You do those and your lose it just like you would in real life.

There is a reason why the Gran Turismo series wont fix those things. And that is because of politics. They have a duty to the manafacturers to make their cars in the game look good. The reason there has been no damage is because it is a bad advert for a car to see it crumpled up against a wall, to see it slide when trying to turn and so on. Sony is not in a position to negotiate all these things so they will not change. With Forza the same rules apply however they seem to be able to get around them and that is simply down to their relationship with the manafacturers. Forza is a series basically created by the manafacturers. They have the ultimate imput and do all the testing and things. Where as the GT process is very much closed doors.

So im not slagging it off just i think they needed to start again, scratch Prologue off and build an all new physics engine based on reality rather then politics. They need to evolve with the times and they simply dont want to do that. Their review scores over the past 9 years or so echo that.

GT5 could be a good game, but it wont be the best game it could be, if you took away the restraints and let the guys do wahtever they wanted they could make the greatest game of all time.

Don't get me wrong i will still give it a go. Gran Turismo could re-create the glory days it had on the PS1& the early part of PS2 era. But for that to happen a lot needs to change with the game. As i tried to say Gran Tursimo Prologue is GT5. They have not gone back to the start and re-designed things from scratch. The cars will look the same, the tracks will looks the same, but more importantly the physics will be the same. They are bound to the engine it is built in. For me that is the main thing that needs to change, the physics feel all wrong. Like you are driving on rails. For example we all use the old crash into the guy in front technique to get around the corners. You do that once in a Forza game and your car will be totalled. In Forza you know the thing you dont want to do is to either hit another car or hit a curb/wall/grass and so on. You do those and your lose it just like you would in real life.

There is a reason why the Gran Turismo series wont fix those things. And that is because of politics. They have a duty to the manafacturers to make their cars in the game look good. The reason there has been no damage is because it is a bad advert for a car to see it crumpled up against a wall, to see it slide when trying to turn and so on. Sony is not in a position to negotiate all these things so they will not change. With Forza the same rules apply however they seem to be able to get around them and that is simply down to their relationship with the manafacturers. Forza is a series basically created by the manafacturers. They have the ultimate imput and do all the testing and things. Where as the GT process is very much closed doors.

So im not slagging it off just i think they needed to start again, scratch Prologue off and build an all new physics engine based on reality rather then politics. They need to evolve with the times and they simply dont want to do that. Their review scores over the past 9 years or so echo that.

GT5 could be a good game, but it wont be the best game it could be, if you took away the restraints and let the guys do wahtever they wanted they could make the greatest game of all time.

see, this is where i think it is different. They must have had an overhaul to add features such as crash damage etc, which you say they wont do because of the politics, so if they have overcome this then it bodes well. As for the cars looking the same then good, they looked fantastic on prologue. Also in prologue i managed to lose it loads of time by touching the wall. Yes i agree that it needs to move away from the tatic of hitting the car in front to aid you going around corners, and by the sounds of it, this crash damage will deter you from doing that.

All im saying is, they must have made some major changes for it to take so long to be released after prologue. The expected release date also kept being put back.

As for reviews, i dont go much on them. I will let my own game play experience decide.

I'm pretty sure that the video wasn't CGI for when the cars were racing. Those graphics are easily produceable nowadays.

Was CGI mate, the clip lasts for 2mins. The 1st min is the opening intro to the game which is all CGI done. Then at 1.09 the car turns into the rally car speeding off down the dusty lane. What gives this away as CGI is the camera quality. Look at the two rally cars at the close up, notice how grainy it looks in comparison to the following shot of the Nascars? It is like the Nascars have become really colourful and bright all of a sudden. The two scenes do not go together. If it was gameplay they would look the same due to sharing the same graphics engine.

Then at 1.21 when the Nascars are going round the bend with the frontal shot. Notice how the wheels on the cars have been blacked out so you cant see them turning around? Then from that clip we go into again another rally clip. Notice how that scene looks more brighter then the previous rally scene?

Then at 1.44 we see the two GT cars hammering it down the straight again in differnt colours in the background and with neon lights in the middle of the road? Again that scene looks different to all the others. However that scene looks like the only actual gameplay footage due to the fact it lookslike the prologue graphics.

Various ways to tell if it is gameplay or not and a clear way to show it isn't is by having various scenes that don't look the same in terms of graphic quality. If you jump from really high quality to low quality is sure fire sign of computer generated wizardary. Also the fact the media said it was CGI gives it away :)

I hate Gran Turismo with a passion, all the hype surrounding GT4...i bought it on impulse got it home played it for 30 minutes and then put it on eBay straight after...

If you want an utterly amazing and really engrossing racing sim i urge you all to buy Forza Motorport 3...it's going to be ridiculously good 400 cars and 100 tracks

• 1 year later...

Played a bit last night. I must say, it’s very impressive.

You have the option at the start of the game to install a load of data on to your HDD (it takes about 30 mins and takes up about 8GB) but its well worth it, as you reduce loading times of tracks, cars etc.

There is a bit of initial configuration to be done to set up your profile, but this takes only a few mins....obviously I chose the red & white overalls for my racing driver !!!

The interface looks very slick and has the usual feel about it of a GT game, but the musak is also back...

The game is general is like all other GT games, but being PS3 there is SO much more going on and so many more ways to race (go Karting, Nascar etc), the graphics are (as you would expect) very very good, shadowing and different types of weather look amazing, as do the tracks and scenery.

I’ve only played it a bit, and have completed my b-license and a couple of races.

There are a few little glitches here and there (mainly to do with graphics) but I’m being extra picky and it wont detract from the game play at all.

My initial rating of tihis game would be 9/10. It would probably get a 10 if I had a bloody steering wheel and pedals !!!

Impressed also, I've trawling through the licence tests mainly and have done the kart races.

The staggered racing line on the track, is that only present in licence tests and kart races or do I have to turn it off in the options somewhere?

The menu screens are quite nice but their a bit "small"

Edited by JackFrost

One thing I am a bit mystified with is the in race graphics.

Their either poor or amazing depending what you do.

B spec their worse than GT4 on the PS2, but do a practise run in a Ferrari 458 Italia and their incredible

Anyone else raced on Special Stage route 7? What a weird track. Takes 5 mins to do a lap and for about 4 mins 45 seconds you are full throttle.

Also did the Nurburgring Nordschleife layout which links in with part of the GP layout.

Edited by JackFrost

it certainly hasn't wowed me overall like the previous versions have.

It's almost as if 12 months ago a factory burnt down somewhere which contained all the designs for how the menus and B spec are laid out and they had to do all of it again from scratch in a hurry. yesterday i went from difficult-to-navigate menus you can hardly read without zooming in, to a visually stunning licence test where I had to race a Murcielago with psychotic handling down a road course at dusk. looked absolutely beautiful when it showed the car just before i started

• 2 weeks later...