sweden v.malta

despite the 4-0 result, Sweden were shocking in the first half, and managed only one goal (a Kim Källström header from 3 yards out,) and rarely seemed interested in trying to score, preferring to keep possession in the boringly Swedish way. A goal surge came after HT with 3 goals in 6 mins. but then they seemed to switch off for 20 mins. Although dominating the play against a very poor Maltese side (7 games and only 1 pt.. and goal diff. of -17 now -21)... only some do-or-die defending from the Maltese stopped the Swedes from reaching double figures, which they clearly should have done.

Zlatan (captain for the day prior to his move to Barcelona) was angry with his goal shy colleagues (especially Källström) - who Zlatan said " had played like a left back (!) instead of an attacker " and the two collided going for the same ball in the 6 yard box - even though they were both unmarked ..Zlatan was clearly pi ** ed off by the incident.

Sweden now on 9 pts. (together with Portugal,) have several tough away fixtures and must win all their remaining games if they stand a chance. Despite the poor opposition, the Swedes did look good at times with several newer players getting outings (including the THREE Elm brothers). Anders Svensson had recovered from his injury and controlled midfield superbly - pity he wasn't around on Saturday when they lost 0-1 home to group leaders Denmark.

Lagerbäck is an idiot. How the hell are you going to get a monster score against a team like Malta when you play two central midfielders, Victor and Rasmus Elm, as wingers? They both did an ok job in the second half and especially Rasmus had some nice passes but unless you got Dani Alves and Roberto Carlos on the wingback positions a formation like that is just not going to work.

That said, Svensson played absolutely brilliant. Dictated the midfield and was the starting point for every Sweden attack. I still don't get why he never got a chance in a position like that for Southampton (something like the role Murphy has for Fulham). I guess most British coahes are just to scared to try something like that.

Lagerbäck is an idiot. How the hell are you going to get a monster score against a team like Malta when you play two central midfielders, Victor and Rasmus Elm, as wingers? They both did an ok job in the second half and especially Rasmus had some nice passes but unless you got Dani Alves and Roberto Carlos on the wingback positions a formation like that is just not going to work.

That said, Svensson played absolutely brilliant. Dictated the midfield and was the starting point for every Sweden attack. I still don't get why he never got a chance in a position like that for Southampton (something like the role Murphy has for Fulham). I guess most British coahes are just to scared to try something like that.

I think the real answer to that is that Gordon Strachan (although a great motivator and successful in his time) never had a plan B, and Anders didn't fit the mould. GS tried to get him playing a defensive role when Anders greatest success was always playing " in the hole " behind the strikers.

In Sturrocks short reign as manager ; Anders had a bit more freedom and turned in some great performances, but like everyone else, the constant change of managers only brought more confusion and lack of consistancy.

I think he was glad to return to Sweden in the end.

Was in Goteborg on business wednesday and went along - agree with both of you. Thought Anders had a good game (well better than he has for the National side for a while) - although he will never ever play as well as he did for us in the away game we won at Leicester 4-0 in whenever it was!

The other thing is that though Malta were shocking they should have gone 1-0 up when Isaksson made that great double save after what 10-15 minutes.

Zlatan was awful first half and whether it was Lagerback or whoever at half-time looked a different class second half (and took that goal very nicely) - you've got to say though once he stops playing he looks like he'll get very fat very quickly!

Oh well just another defeat for us were used to it by now, we just cant compete at this level, we are producing more an more quality players but hey at the end of the day there's only 450,000 of us. Infact looking at some of our apponents 4-0 is a pretty respectable result.

Oh well just another defeat for us were used to it by now, we just cant compete at this level, we are producing more an more quality players but hey at the end of the day there's only 450,000 of us. Infact looking at some of our apponents 4-0 is a pretty respectable result.

as long as I can remember Malta has always been on the receiving end of such beatings ..and often worse. However, they did achieve a 1-1 home draw v. England ...one time in the 1970's (?) ..unsure of exact year.

If you want to compare yourself favourably to another island country..try ICELAND. They are around 250,000 and their best players are usually in the Norwegian or Danish leagues and occasionally even turn up in Football League sides.

I expect the "better " Maltese players get into Serie B sides in Italy ..don't they ..or ?

as long as I can remember Malta has always been on the receiving end of such beatings ..and often worse. However, they did achieve a 1-1 home draw v. England ...one time in the 1970's (?) ..unsure of exact year.

If you want to compare yourself favourably to another island country..try ICELAND. They are around 250,000 and their best players are usually in the Norwegian or Danish leagues and occasionally even turn up in Football League sides.

I expect the "better " Maltese players get into Serie B sides in Italy ..don't they ..or ?

Arguably the best player is Michael Mifsud, Ex Coventry, now at Barnsley. There is a lad called Udo Nwoko who used to play for Leixoies in the Portuguese Superleague and did quite well, scored on his debut from what I remember. Justin Haber, a GK plays for Sheffield United and Andre Schembri, a lad who scored twice in a recent win v Hungary now plays in the German League set up for Carl Zeiss Jena. The rest of the players tend to be in the local Maltese Premier league.

Not many end up in Italy despite the proximity. It's still not a bad crop for a small Island.