David McGoldrick

Arizona

Fair play to the lad for netting a couple against the hammers, but does anyone get the alarming feeling from that, "class act" story on the OS, that he could be on the pitch a lot more than many of us would perhaps like, if you get my drift.

Wasn't at the game, can anyone comment on how well he played overall?

Given that Poortvliet reckoned he'd be playing his intended starting 11 (injuries permitting) against West Ham, it seems likely to me that McGoldrick is his first choice as main striker. Didn't go to the match myself, as the lure of beer was too strong, but I have to say the result impressed me more than somewhat.

Fair play to the lad for netting a couple against the hammers, but does anyone get the alarming feeling from that, "class act" story on the OS, that he could be on the pitch a lot more than many of us would perhaps like, if you get my drift.

Yes i know what you`re geting at but perhaps we should give him a few games,i get the impression he`s up himself abit.

If he does indeed score a couple every game then it would be fantastic, the trouble being that so far, in the CCC at least, he hasn't.

When has he had a run of games? Maybe he's a bit of confidence striker that needs a run of games. If either John or Rasiak could adapt to the new style of play that would be fantastic but otherwise DMG is our best bet.

Having sat through 50+ games in the last two seasons, the majority of which were of unimagineable dross, the football played by the young Saints team was unbelievably good.

I can't really see any of the older players playing with the skill, tempo and enthusiasm of the youngsters.

The time has come to let them all go and bring in more youngsters. I don't care what division Saints play in if I can watch the sort of football I saw on Friday. This is the Southampton football that us olduns have wished for for years. I wouldn't change a thing.

The game was very open and we are not going to see too many like that next season, he did see alot of the ball and did extremely well but he did have lots of time and space.

I hope he continues to improve as the season goes on and we end up with a top quality young striker that takes the division by storm and sends Saints to the summit.

Having sat through 50+ games in the last two seasons, the majority of which were of unimagineable dross, the football played by the young Saints team was unbelievably good.

I can't really see any of the older players playing with the skill, tempo and enthusiasm of the youngsters.

The time has come to let them all go and bring in more youngsters. I don't care what division Saints play in if I can watch the sort of football I saw on Friday. This is the Southampton football that us olduns have wished for for years. I wouldn't change a thing.

Could not go myself as working at Goodwood race track but the reports from many I have heard reflect what you say Dave.

The fact that Rasiak and John were on the bench suggests to me that they are in the shop window still.

I think McGoldrick is very much considered to be the main striker for the coming season.

Will have to wait and see though.

Have to say I seriously don't rate the lad, 1st goal was a superb cross which to be fair to McGoldrick he positioned himself well but it was a poor header that the keeper nearly kept out. 2nd goal lee Holmes seemed to foul the defender bringing the ball out of the box however he slid in McGoldrick who from the centre of goal with no one near him finished well. His general play was imo very poor or average to say the least. Rasiak would still be my 1st choice but its all about opinions.

seconded :D

Have to say I seriously don't rate the lad, 1st goal was a superb cross which to be fair to McGoldrick he positioned himself well but it was a poor header that the keeper nearly kept out. 2nd goal lee Holmes seemed to foul the defender bringing the ball out of the box however he slid in McGoldrick who from the centre of goal with no one near him finished well. His general play was imo very poor or average to say the least. Rasiak would still be my 1st choice but its all about opinions.

I have to disagree Smalls, his movement was very good. He was winning tackles and knocking some great through balls for Llana and the wide boys. As long as he keeps focussed he will only get better. I will admit though, he only started playing better after the first goal so it could be a confidence thing.

I slated McGoldrick, i don't like him, he's an arrogent git who thinks he's gods gift. However, i think he'll be starting quite a few games so i'll support him.

I also slated Davenport, he then scored from the corner just 2 seconds after i said he was shit.

An nice idea, but you do seem to be overlooking a few things.

1) Callum Davenport, Jelle Van Damme, Darren Kenton, Gary Monk, Leon best and several other equally notable players were all young when they played for us.

2) I cannot recall a young player who has matched Rasiak or Beattie's scoring record. Similarly we haven't had a better defensive partnership in recent times thatn Claus and Killer. We have had decent young players, but the very best have all tended to be mid to late 20s.

2) I cannot recall a young player who has matched Rasiak or Beattie's scoring record. Similarly we haven't had a better defensive partnership in recent times thatn Claus and Killer. We have had decent young players, but the very best have all tended to be mid to late 20s.

Bale? Walcott? Baird? Shearer? LeTissier?

An nice idea, but you do seem to be overlooking a few things.

1) Callum Davenport, Jelle Van Damme, Darren Kenton, Gary Monk, Leon best and several other equally notable players were all young when they played for us.

I agree that you can just say 'play the young players' and expect success to naturally follow but I'll pick you up on your comments about Best and Beattie. I think that judging by our form in the play of season with Saga and Best up front, last season would have been much better if Best had stayed and continued that partnership.

I'm going from memory here and know you're better withteh stats than me!

Secondly, and I'm nitpicking but Beattie WAS a young player when he was with us and playing well. We simply haven't had a striker of his quality for any decent period of time since.

By the way, I agree with your first thought about DM being the main striker. I wonder us JP can plan for either Rasiak, John or Saga up front when I guess he knows that we need to sell one or more of them but we don't know which one we'll be able to!

John and Rasiaks finishing are much better but are thye willing to put the work rate in? When your playing on your own up front you really need to want the ball and put alot of effort into finding yourself some space. The games where ive seen Rasiak play exposed, hes barely moved, expecting the ball to simply fall onto his foot to score. Similarly John when he came on friday fell over about 10 times and gave the ball away the rest of it. I would like to think that there is still a future at Saints for these 2 but if they dont fit into this system and quick we're better off without them IMO.

Bale? Walcott? Baird? Shearer? LeTissier?

The latter two didn't peak until their later years.

Anyway my point was not that our youth isn't good enough. It is that you can't just stick a load of youngsters out there and expect to see brilliant football. Yes they may have looked good in a few friendlies, but what about when the going get's tough and the pressure gets to them? Prutton against Arsenal, Davenport against Villa, Best against Derby, BWP... pretty much since he got here.

We do not have youth players IMO with the class of Rasiak, John, Saganowski, Davies, Svensson, Skacel or Surman. Remember when Bury came to town in the FA Cup. They tried their all and looked motivated, passionate etc. but when push came to shove they just plain weren't good enough.

P.S. Jam, yes we signed Beatts as a youth player, but he was very inconsistent in his early years and didn't start scoring proliffically until he was what, 24/25?

McGoldrick deserves a run. Okay he hasn't scored well (if at all) in the CCC yet but he has the potential to be a good player for Saints. Rasiak and John do have good goal scoring records but how many goals will we lose because of their lack of interplay/effort? JP has clearly said that he is looking for a striker who will do more than just score, and DM seems to be that man. He is fast, strong and has a good eye for goal, if the management put their faith in him I see no reason why he can't score a lot of goals (as well as helping the team all round and defending from the front) alongside his mates.

In terms of the other stuff about younger players not performing, I think it's fair to say we haven't given youngsters a proper chance for a good amount of time. Yes they have had occasional runs in the team, but these haven't always been under the best circumstances. Of course the current crop of youngsters will make mistakes, but the only way they can grow is with experience. With a new season ahead, and everyone starting with a clean slate, I reckon this can be a quality season for a DM as well as a good number of our other young players.

I have been a bit harsh about McGoldrick previously. I hope I was wrong about him and this is not a flash in the pan.

Have to say i agree 100%. 2 players thus far i have been unimpressed with and that is Holmes and Mcgoldrick. The West Ham game they looked to me like 2 totally different players. I had heard a rumour that that game and the Stoke game were going to be his last starting games if he didn't improve. Now i don't know if that is true but you would have to say sounded a possibility. Both him and Holmes were excellent on friday and it will give them the world of confidence. Lets hope they maintain it into tues game and if they continue then they deserve to start.

Does it not worry slightly that DM is first choice and at this time we have two of highest earners sitting on the bench/in the reserves. Surely if no body wants them we should be playing at least one of them to get used to the new system. They are hardly high tempo impact players (ie Dyer/BWP) who can be brought off the bench when the opponents are tiring?

Can we therfore assume both will be gone by the end of the summer?

Its not wage levels that determine how good a player is. DMG proved over the last two seasons that he knows where the goal is. You can see Prem and international strikers who miss sitters, so if the ball gets to him, DMG knows what to do with it, as well as any and better than a lot. Can't ask for more from a striker.

Its not wage levels that determine how good a player is. DMG proved over the last two seasons that he knows where the goal is. You can see Prem and international strikers who miss sitters, so if the ball gets to him, DMG knows what to do with it, as well as any and better than a lot. Can't ask for more from a striker.

You're surely expressing this as a hope rather than a fact - at least as far as the CCC is concerned.

Do you think John and Rasiak don't know where the goal is?

DMG could possibly go from 'zero to hero' in one giant leap - but I wouldn't want to bet the club's CCC future on it . The only prudent course of action for the club to take is to keep John or Rasiak until the January transfer window and see how he develops .

I would remind fans that David McGoldrick has never scored a league goal for this football club - the lad proberly doesn't need the extra pressure of suddenly becoming our main striker overnight .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Would you like to tell us where this occurred..Port Vale perhaps?

I have to disagree Smalls, his movement was very good. He was winning tackles and knocking some great through balls for Llana and the wide boys. As long as he keeps focussed he will only get better. I will admit though, he only started playing better after the first goal so it could be a confidence thing.

I didn't think BWP and Dyer were playing? ;)

Is the "class act" tag bigging up his confidence, or will it be a millstone around his neck?????

No idea, he may be someone who needs to be told how good he is and therefore it could be a good call.

However, I do think the OS, whilst understandably being positive, has been a tad OTT and if anything is adding to the expectation and therefore pressure. Let's just make sure we don't turn on these youngsters if it starts off poorly.

On a personal level, I have never really rated him, but have to say he played very well on Friday. I was also unsure about Gillett and James, but I thought they both played really well too.

On a similar vein I have to say that I was not enamoured by Holmes, Scheiderlin, Lallana and Thomson. The biggest surprise was Scheiderlin because others rated him in the match.

The latter two didn't peak until their later years.

Anyway my point was not that our youth isn't good enough. It is that you can't just stick a load of youngsters out there and expect to see brilliant football. Yes they may have looked good in a few friendlies, but what about when the going get's tough and the pressure gets to them? Prutton against Arsenal, Davenport against Villa, Best against Derby, BWP... pretty much since he got here.

We do not have youth players IMO with the class of Rasiak, John, Saganowski, Davies, Svensson, Skacel or Surman. Remember when Bury came to town in the FA Cup. They tried their all and looked motivated, passionate etc. but when push came to shove they just plain weren't good enough.

P.S. Jam, yes we signed Beatts as a youth player, but he was very inconsistent in his early years and didn't start scoring proliffically until he was what, 24/25?

I agree about chucking a load of kids in and expectign miracles, but your point about Bury is so off the mark it is not true. They took us to the cleaners. We were an embaressment and they were unlucky not to win at a canter. It was pure luck that we won that game.

I don't feel comfortable about McGoldrick at all. I'd be much happier with John playing the strikers role - his passing is good, he's strong, he has good movement and he can score from anywhere. His only trouble is lack of pace but with two wingers and an attacking midfielder surely that doesn't matter.

And another against Stoke. Is that a class act? Beattie went half a season without scoring so even class strikers don't score every week but if DMG gets 10 goals in the CCC he'll be worth his place. If he gets 15+ that would be class for a rookie.

I agree about chucking a load of kids in and expectign miracles, but your point about Bury is so off the mark it is not true. They took us to the cleaners. We were an embaressment and they were unlucky not to win at a canter. It was pure luck that we won that game.

I wouldn't say they took us to the cleaners. It was a very scrappy game from both teams, with no real chances until Skacel came on. Neither team was the better, but at the end of the day Bury couldn't score against a poor Saints side. They overran the midfield, but never really created any chance.

Hull, Preston and The Owls took us to the cleaners. Not Bury.

I wouldn't say they took us to the cleaners. It was a very scrappy game from both teams, with no real chances until Skacel came on. Neither team was the better, but at the end of the day Bury couldn't score against a poor Saints side. They overran the midfield, but never really created any chance.

Hull, Preston and The Owls took us to the cleaners. Not Bury.

And Palace too and they all hurt a lot.