I am an Ebay novice - can you give me advice?

tpbury

Hello, I'm hoping that I wont get royally shafted by readers of this forum on the grounds that we're all Saints (RIP?) fans. That is why I seek your advice rather that the wider internet. Also, I've done a search but not found relevant info so far.

I've put a couple of things on Ebay - what if I don't want to accept the final bid price? Do I have to bid it up myself? Am I able to reject a final bid?

Thanks for your help, really ****ed off about the club.

The most important thing to do to get the best price for your item is prove your trustworthiness. That normally means building up your positive feedback by buying stuff beforehand.

Use good quality photos and get your username in them to prove you actually have the item rather than just using stock images.

Describe the item in detail and use an accurate description with plenty of appropriate keywords in the title and this is how prospective buyers will find it in the first place.

Choose your start time carefully as this will dictate the finish time and items will often rocket in price as people sit and wait to snipe an auction in the final minutes or even seconds. You're best bet is to time it so it finishes in the evening or at the weekend. For example, start a 10 day auction at 8pm on Thursday and it will end at 8pm on the Sunday the following week.

You are constantly reminded you are entering into a legal contract when you buy or sell on eBay but has anyone ever been prosecuted for not completing a transaction?

Bidding on your own item is known as shill bidding and obviously banned, but is prolific on eBay.

The most important thing to do to get the best price for your item is prove your trustworthiness. That normally means building up your positive feedback by buying stuff beforehand.

Use good quality photos and get your username in them to prove you actually have the item rather than just using stock images.

Describe the item in detail and use an accurate description with plenty of appropriate keywords in the title and this is how prospective buyers will find it in the first place.

Choose your start time carefully as this will dictate the finish time and items will often rocket in price as people sit and wait to snipe an auction in the final minutes or even seconds. You're best bet is to time it so it finishes in the evening or at the weekend. For example, start a 10 day auction at 8pm on Thursday and it will end at 8pm on the Sunday the following week.

You are constantly reminded you are entering into a legal contract when you buy or sell on eBay but has anyone ever been prosecuted for not completing a transaction?

Bidding on your own item is known as shill bidding and obviously banned, but is prolific on eBay.

Cheers - thanks for the advice. But do I have to accept the final price after bidding finishes? - I kind of equated the 'Pay it Now' price to a 'reserve', but I don't know whether this is true. BTW. I've bought two items previously and got 100% feedback (for paying for 2 things - next time I go into a garage I want 'positive feedback' after buying 50L of diesel!!)

Cheers - thanks for the advice. But do I have to accept the final price after bidding finishes? - I kind of equated the 'Pay it Now' price to a 'reserve', but I don't know whether this is true. BTW. I've bought two items previously and got 100% feedback (for paying for 2 things - next time I go into a garage I want 'positive feedback' after buying 50L of diesel!!)

"Buy it now" isn't so much an auction; more an immediate sale. The "reserve price" is the minimum you're prepared to let it go for in an auction, but obviously if it attracts bids for more, then all is good.

I think it costs you more in listing fees to put a reserve price in.

+2 feedback is not much to go on and won't prove much to potential bidders. You need to be looking in at least the region of +10 and 100% to satisfy most buyers of your trustworthiness.

Please don't list something with a minimum price (and no reserve) if you're not willing to allow it to sell for that price. It's a pain in the arse for buyers. Always use a reserve or start the price at a realistic level you'd accept.

We recently bought something for £10 and then the seller decided they didn't want to honour the auction because they wanted more for it. Infuriating and against eBay rules. Needless to say we reported them to eBay and their account (with 100+ feedback) was closed.

Put it this way ... if you put something forward for sale at a normal auction (eg, a car or antique) without a reserve - if it sells you CANNOT change your mind.

Don't bid on it yourself, get one of your mates to do it for you, if they live in another part of the country, then even better..... nobody will ever know.

I always use this system for a reserve, at least you don't have to pay a percentage if it doesn't sell.

But it will sell wont it.? if your mate is bidding so his bid will act as a reserve. it will still class as sold as even though he is your mate it will still be classed as a winning bid.

Don't bid on it yourself, get one of your mates to do it for you, if they live in another part of the country, then even better..... nobody will ever know.

I always use this system for a reserve, at least you don't have to pay a percentage if it doesn't sell.

Don't do this tpbury.

The scientific approach Al. if you get to this level of understanding then you should consider making a serious living from it. I did it a couple of years ago. I made lots of money by selling ONE single product. Whenevr we need a bit of pocket money, I sell one. Couldn't do it full time as I simply am not organised enough and also a little bit old and lazy.

I think there is some very simple things that tp needs to do to learn the ropes.

Start your item at 10p. Keeps your listing fees down and makes non selling items easy on the pocket. Added bonus, you get to keep your crap or give it to Oxfam

Remember that if you want to sell it start at 10p. You will be able to watch the items progress. You will see just who is bidding and also whether there are many 'Watching' your items. The 'Watchers' are the ones that buy, and it gets quite exciting when you first have over 100 people watching 1one of your items. There really is some BIG money to be made.

If it doesn't sell ask yourself "is this item basically a piece of ****?"

If the answer is yes, then take it to the charity shop or even 'freecycle' it.

Be honest, describe your items honestly, ensures good feedback and it is the right thing to do.

Post quickly. If you are slow to post, you WILL get bad feedback. People wait right up until the early hours sometimes to get their dream Capucino maker, don't make them wait.

Lastly, P&P. A tough one. Some like to make a few bob for themselves by 'overcharging', there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. People are not stupid, we are all adults.

Properr lastly. Use PayPal.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are happy for the item to go at any price start it on 99p with no reserve. The more people you can get interested in the product the better. You will find that some buyers get hooked and will bid more than they ever thought they would just to get the item. If you start the item on a high price then you will put off those that initially thought they were looking for a bargain.

The photos of the itme need to be top class, epecially if the item is a high price item. No one wil bid on something they can nto see clearly. Even if the item is a low price make sure the photos are good.

Give as much detail as possible. If there is anything wrong with the item say it. The last thing you want if a unhappy buyer that ****s up your rating. Honesty is the best policy and will actully give potential buyers more confidence in you.

Answer all questions. If a seller has something to hide they won't respond to questions. Buyers are not stupid.

Finally make sure you are around when the auction is completed. Buyers want to get an email from you saying thanks for buyer and I'll get this in the post tomorrow.

Best of luck.

I've got an old signed Southampton football, my old man probably bid at a charity auction for it some years ago, I think its circa 95/96/97/98 somewhere around there, hard to tell but I'm sure at least claus's signature is on there! need to inspect it a bit more but before I put it on ebay, however just wondering if any saints fans want it from on here.. hard up and need to make a few pennies (not intending to rip anyone off either, bargain memorbilia!) lol, (and sorry for the thread invasion, i cannot make a thread of my own)

if you are happy for the item to go at any price start it on 99p with no reserve. The more people you can get interested in the product the better. You will find that some buyers get hooked and will bid more than they ever thought they would just to get the item. If you start the item on a high price then you will put off those that initially thought they were looking for a bargain.

If you list an item correctly without speeling mistakes, using the appropriate keywords in the description and there's actually a market for it, people will find it and bid it up to the correct price.

I listed a dozen photography items at once and started them all at 99p to minimise the listing fees and attract as much attention as possible. As long as there are at least a couple of people genuinely interested in buying it, it will find the market price.