Car scrappage....

Redbul

Good thing or bad thing?

Reason I ask is:

You have a motor that is over 10 years old but it's a good runner, mechanically sound and you only have to fork out for insurance, petrol, other running costs; you don't have any repayments left on it so it's yours.

You get offered 2 grand to trade it in for a new motor. Is this 2 grand off or £12k (or whatever) on? Okay, you'll be doing your bit to help the motor industry, but won't you just be helping to compound the original issue that supposedly kicked this recession off in the first place; taking out credit that a percentage of borrowers won't be able to pay back?

It's a load of crap to be honest, unless you've got a car that's clearly worth nowhere near £2k and is falling to bits.

All of the participating manufacturers hiked up their RRPs by about £2k when the Scrappage scheme was introduced, so the consumer isn't actually getting a better deal out of it at all.

And yes, you have a point about the credit/finance thing as well.

Not only does the financial aspect of it make little sense for the buyer, the government could be supporting a foreign industry if people purchase a car which has only been imported into the country.

Additionally, it is not particularly green to encourage people to trade in older cars, some of which may be mechanically sound and in decent condition, to get a brand spanker. A large part of the carbon generated by a car throughout its lifetime comes before it has rolled onto the showroom floor.

Basically, I think it was a stupid bloody idea.

I have taken advantage of the scheme.

Had a beat up Peugeot 306 with 191k on it....good reliable car but was never going to get anything for it.

Have bought a new shape Ford KA .... i know not the best car in the world but for £6000 plus my car, I have a car cheap to insure , cheap to tax & no MOT for 3 years.

Only trouble is I have to wait until September to take delivery of it as Ford cant make them quick enough.

I've done it.

I have an 11yo Saab 9-3 with just under 200k on it and things are starting to go wrong and cost money.

Bought a Seat Ibiza 1.4SC Sport, haggling another £500 off so paid £8k.

It gets built next week and I'll pick it up start of September when I get back from my jollies.

If, like me, you' are trading in an old "2nd car" for a cheap, small and economical "2nd car" then it's a good deal.