FM 2010 - How much money should I give Saints?

Matthew Le God

• 4 weeks later...
hmm, will wait and see. Not a lot of new content by the looks of it apart from the tactic creation and ingame tactics. Just some new screens graphics etc.

There is a large amount of new features. Read the article that goes with them and also many more features will be revealed bit by bit as you get closer to 30th Oct.

* Improved Match Engine – improved AI, over 100 new animations in 3D mode, new stadiums and crowds, improved pitch degradations and better lighting make for the most immersive pitch-side experience ever.

* New User Interface – completely new vibrant look and feel to the game with a light and dark skin to choose from, plus a navigational overhaul. The side menu is replaced by an intuitive tab system which allows you to access all areas of FM 2010 quickly and easily.

* Tactical Overhaul – a new tactics module makes it much easier to make your team play as you want them to. There are thousands of possible pre-set options and touchline “shout” instructions for making instant changes to your teams playing style. Don’t worry; the old system is still there for people who love their sliders.

* Match Analysis – a new tool shows you where shots, passes, crosses, headers, tackles, fouls and interceptions have happened for both sides, so you can work out your, and your opponent’s, strengths and weaknesses.

* New Data Editor – As well as being able to update squads, with the brand new and very easy to use Competition Editor you can now add cups and extra divisions for leagues currently in the game plus completely new competitions.

* News Center – a subscription based newspaper. Get the news about the football world around you that you want, and not the news you don’t want.

* Polish – a year of polish, making the game faster, more immersive, more realistic and easier to play with better in game feedback and more advice, delivered in a more user friendly way.

* Football Manager Handheld 2010 New Features – A brand new skin for the game, improved match engine AI, new unlockable managerial abilities, assistant manager team reports and improved coach and scout reports amongst others.

Eurogamer have done a "hands on" article about Championship Manager 10. Seems they think its has come on really well and will compete with FM series this year, maybe even getting better reviews.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/championship-manager-2010-hands-on

Let's hope so as that might then make SI wake up a bit realise they need to do a **** load more then drawing a line beyond the dugout and calling it a stadium.....

I bet the difference in MB between this years and last years is less then 500MB, nowhere near worthy of charging £30 for.

Eurogamer have done a "hands on" article about Championship Manager 10. Seems they think its has come on really well and will compete with FM series this year, maybe even getting better reviews.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/championship-manager-2010-hands-on

Let's hope so as that might then make SI wake up a bit realise they need to do a **** load more then drawing a line beyond the dugout and calling it a stadium.....

I bet the difference in MB between this years and last years is less then 500MB, nowhere near worthy of charging £30 for.

the lack of stadium thing is the beauty of FM...it leave so much to your imagination...

I dont use the 3d engine for the reason above...

I will always be loyal to FM until the day they can have real names...and im sure there are many like me

the lack of stadium thing is the beauty of FM...it leave so much to your imagination...

I dont use the 3d engine for the reason above...

I will always be loyal to FM until the day they can have real names...and im sure there are many like me

Indeed and those few people are to be commended. Paying money every year for effectivley the same product is very loyal.

However the real football manager fans were also championship manager fans. We played the game waaay back in 92 and evolved with it. We are loyal to manager games, not the company who makes them.

As the old saying goes. "If the game is good, they will play it".

Ironically Football Manager has not been as popular as the old Championship Manager series. Maybe Matt can provide some sort of stats here but if i am right the biggest selling Football Manager game of any franchise was Championship Manager 4. It also is the most succesful in terms of critical acclaim. No Football Manager game has matched that. In fact it has declined every year since then.

So im glad you are happy with that TDD and it is your money!

However me and obviously loads of others as you can see in this thread and the other one are not happy. Why should we pay £30 for a simple update?

If you buy any other game you get those things for free or at a smaller price. Look at say Valve games, you pay your purchase for the game and then if they add maps/new features it is free. If you buy say Fifa you pay for the game and they they will do the player updates and add new features for free as they happen. They added Be a Pro Online later on when Fifa 08 came out, that was free.

I dont play the game but Warcraft is the most succesful game of all time in terms of sales. Any content update Blizzard do is free.

Then you have the expansion type games. For example Grand Theft Auto. When the expansions come out they add hours and hours of new content for about a tenner. Feck all games do that in these day and age, how many Fallout 3 little expansions have their been?

You get my point.

SI are effectivley giving you an update nothing more. Is it worth full price or expansion price?

If you think that is value for money then i am shocked.

Indeed and those few people are to be commended. Paying money every year for effectivley the same product is very loyal.

However the real football manager fans were also championship manager fans. We played the game waaay back in 92 and evolved with it. We are loyal to manager games, not the company who makes them.

As the old saying goes. "If the game is good, they will play it".

Ironically Football Manager has not been as popular as the old Championship Manager series. Maybe Matt can provide some sort of stats here but if i am right the biggest selling Football Manager game of any franchise was Championship Manager 4. It also is the most succesful in terms of critical acclaim. No Football Manager game has matched that. In fact it has declined every year since then.

So im glad you are happy with that TDD and it is your money!

However me and obviously loads of others as you can see in this thread and the other one are not happy. Why should we pay £30 for a simple update?

If you buy any other game you get those things for free or at a smaller price. Look at say Valve games, you pay your purchase for the game and then if they add maps/new features it is free. If you buy say Fifa you pay for the game and they they will do the player updates and add new features for free as they happen. They added Be a Pro Online later on when Fifa 08 came out, that was free.

I dont play the game but Warcraft is the most succesful game of all time in terms of sales. Any content update Blizzard do is free.

Then you have the expansion type games. For example Grand Theft Auto. When the expansions come out they add hours and hours of new content for about a tenner. Feck all games do that in these day and age, how many Fallout 3 little expansions have their been?

You get my point.

SI are effectivley giving you an update nothing more. Is it worth full price or expansion price?

If you think that is value for money then i am shocked.

hows arrogant of you..

i am 29 and played this since it first came out..played both FM and what is now CM...FM for me wins hands down

a few fancy stadiums will not be enough for me to change..

as for paying the same every year, well to me it is £30 a year for them to update the entire database for me...something I cant be bothered to do..nor do I have the time..

I know you are into your computer games and look right at the details of it..in most parts, there are more people like me, who grew up playing this game in the last 7-10+ years who just like the game..

as for paying the same every year, well to me it is £30 a year for them to update the entire database for me...something I cant be bothered to do..nor do I have the time..

If you need database updates then just download them on the forums, some geeks like to release monthly ones. ;)

If you need database updates then just download them on the forums, some geeks like to release monthly ones. ;)

Or let the company do it for free like EA and Konami do....

And you keep saying "There are loads like me" TDD. What makes you think that exactly?

If you have a read of that link i just posted you about CM10 have a look at the opinions at the bottom of the page. Notice how most people say FM is "stale" "become boring" "needs to change" etc. etc. For every 1 like you there are probably 10 like me. The problem is as i said your being conned and some people do not see it. It has nothing to do with liking games etc..

I think that (there are laods like me) as (i may be wrong) FM is the most popular management sim in recent years..

without a fact.

I feel FM is going the same route as Pro Evo....its using its name to not improve much each year and the competition is getting better. First time I have thought Fifa is better with their last effort....and I was a staunch PES lover.

I think that (there are laods like me) as (i may be wrong) FM is the most popular management sim in recent years..

In comparison to championship Manager AFTER the split there is no competition. CM after that is as **** as **** gets. Football manager is where the action is at.

However the guys behind CM took a year out and went back to the drawing board. Meaning they have spent best part of 2 years making a new game. As mentioned above and in the other thread it is all a mirror image of what happened between Fifa and Pro Evo. Most of us here played Fifa in the early days and then went to Pro Evo and that was a far far better game. But that made Fifa go and start again while Pro Evo kept doing the same thing thinking people will buy it regardless. Which they didn't. And that is what you have today, Fifa being now the simulation game for football fans and Pro Evo being the arcade game for football fans. The same thing is now happening with FM. They have basically run out of ideas in terms of how to take the series forward rather choosing to rest on their laurels and technically just polish the game each season. Re-design a menu here and there.

The best thing for the FM series is to have a good competitior, something they have not had. The reason Fifa 09 and from what i seen 10 is a good game is because they have had to compete thus trying harder to get you to part with your cash. FM does not need to do that because their is no alternative. But this year looks different.