WAP access to the forums?

Tractor_Saint

You can view a massively cut-down version of the forum at http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/archive

Fantastic - that's exactly what I wanted, a quick interface into the forums.

BTW, how can you tell whether a site is being accessed via a WAP device or not? My Smartphone connects wirelessly so I'm unsure how it would show up as a WAP device in any stats?

Thanks folks.

Fantastic - that's exactly what I wanted, a quick interface into the forums.

BTW, how can you tell whether a site is being accessed via a WAP device or not? My Smartphone connects wirelessly so I'm unsure how it would show up as a WAP device in any stats?

Thanks folks.

It's generally the combination of the name of the browser, the operating system it's running on, and the screen resolution.

Obviously on mobiles, the screen resolution will be very small, so that's usually a giveaway.

Obviously, viewing a posting on an iPhone is a breeze on WiFi or 3G, but things slow up a little in a low 2G area. Can't we have a text only, blank frames version of the forum available again, or is that a little too much work?

Obviously, viewing a posting on an iPhone is a breeze on WiFi or 3G, but things slow up a little in a low 2G area. Can't we have a text only, blank frames version of the forum available again, or is that a little too much work?

Would love a text only version again please chaps!

I don't need avatars, smilies, pictures, colour. Black text on a white background with black/grey tables would be perfect!

TIA!

It's generally the combination of the name of the browser, the operating system it's running on, and the screen resolution.

Obviously on mobiles, the screen resolution will be very small, so that's usually a giveaway.

That and the fact that WAP is actually a different protocol to http :p

Well yes, but I assumed that "WAP" in the way it's being discussed is simply "GPRS mobile browsing", which would still be over HTTP :p

Actually, it wouldnt, but lets save this for msn :p

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to browse this site on your mobile, I have the perfect solution for you.

On your phone's browser, go to http://mini.opera.com, and download Opera Mini 4. It's a fantastic free application, and makes browsing forums on your mobile easy.

It's uses data compression as well, so even in 2g areas pages will load quickly. Opera Mini truly is the canine's gonads when it comes to browsing on your mobile.

Gonzo - thanks for that!! Have done it and, indeed, it does load a h3ll of a lot faster than IE on the phone. (not worried about the data transfer as I've got an 'unlimited' plan).

An excellent workaround though as the archive site didn't allow posts which was a PITA when you're on the road on the way back from a match and want to post! Cheers again

One thing to bear in mind when you are posting with it. If you are using the quick reply box to post, if you have posted with it, check the thread before you leave it, as sometimes it doesn't post the first time (it is 'posting' but can take time). All you have to do if your post doesn't appear is reload the page (through the 'tools' menu) and your post will appear.

Hope that makes sense!

• 4 weeks later...