HELP - just put unleaded in my diesel

Johnny Bognor

I have been a dozy **** and put £7 worth of unleaded into my 2006 BMW 525 Diesel.

I then immediately put £50 worth of diesel in to dilute it.

I then drove 4 miles home.

Looking at the Internet there seems to be two schools of thought:

1. Keep adding diesel to dilute it

2. The fuel is contaminated and the damage is done - will need to replace the entire fuelling system which would seem to run into £££££££££'s

What should I do???

Keep driving and dilluting with diesel?

Get the tank drained and refil with diesel?

Get the car back to the dealer?

Stop worrying?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Wellllll... There are 2 schools of thought as you say. For piece of mind I'd get the fuel system completely drained before it fewks it - if I could afford to. Realistically, I'd run it, topping up with Diesel every day until it was no more than trace. The good news is that if the engine didn't sieze on the way home that's a good start (petrol won't compress like Diesel so it locks the pistons solid in the cylinders). The bad news is that the petrol and Diesel will separate in the tank overnight and the petrol will lie on top of the Diesel, so running the tank low will increase your chances of failure.

I honestly don't know what I'd do, but I'd be shi**ing bricks too. At least for awhile.

Wellllll... There are 2 schools of thought as you say. For piece of mind I'd get the fuel system completely drained before it fewks it - if I could afford to. Realistically, I'd run it, topping up with Diesel every day until it was no more than trace. The good news is that if the engine didn't sieze on the way home that's a good start (petrol won't compress like Diesel so it locks the pistons solid in the cylinders). The bad news is that the petrol and Diesel will separate in the tank overnight and the petrol will lie on top of the Diesel, so running the tank low will increase your chances of failure.

I honestly don't know what I'd do, but I'd be shi**ing bricks too. At least for awhile.

So perhaps a fuel evacuation call-out might do the trick which might cost me £150-£200, but it beats replacing the entire fuel system which would be £££££££££££££££££££'s

You could always just drive the Ferrari.

:cool:

Nice thought, but I've got the girls this weekend and you can't get 2x child seats in my F-car.

Anyway, I have gone for fuel evacuation which costs £130 plus writing off £57 worth of fuel.

The guy said that there could be up to 4 litres of diesel in the system and hence I would probably have got home without any petrol going anywhere near the fuel pump (which is where the damage is done). Even if it had, a dilution ratio of 10-1 would limit the damage. Obviously removing the 'contaminated' fuel reduces the risk still further.

Maybe bull, but surely if you physically remove the petrol then this reduces the risk?

When they evacuate the tank, they:

Drain the wrong fuel from your vechicles tank

Flush the fuel system

Supply 10 litres of the correct fuel

Add a cleaning agent

OK it has cost the best part of £200, but I would have to be really unfortunate to have done much damage and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Lesson for the day: pay bloody attention when grabbing that nozzle

They actually used to put petrol into diesel during the winter months to stop it freezing, personally i would have carries on as normal and just remember to put derv in next time.

I know where you are coming from especially with older diesel cars, but on modern diesels, they have very high pressure fuel pumps (16,000 PSI) and apparently the petrol screws the seals. A new diesel fuel pump on a BM is in the region of £2,500 +VAT!!!!!

It could be just scaremongering as it is a nice little earer for the automotive industry, but with the downside costs being so high, I feel strangely OK about losing £200.

They actually used to put petrol into diesel during the winter months to stop it freezing, personally i would have carries on as normal and just remember to put derv in next time.

If he drove a 1970-1990 Peugeot I'd agree with you....

I know where you are coming from especially with older diesel cars, but on modern diesels, they have very high pressure fuel pumps (16,000 PSI) and apparently the petrol screws the seals. A new diesel fuel pump on a BM is in the region of £2,500 +VAT!!!!!

It could be just scaremongering as it is a nice little earer for the automotive industry, but with the downside costs being so high, I feel strangely OK about losing £200.

With the miniscule amount of petrol(1- 1/4 gallon) you put in, i would'nt worry about at all. Just drive around abit to use up the fuel, then top-up (with diesel) as normal. ;)

I have been a dozy **** and put £7 worth of unleaded into my 2006 BMW 525 Diesel.

I then immediately put £50 worth of diesel in to dilute it.

I then drove 4 miles home.

Looking at the Internet there seems to be two schools of thought:

1. Keep adding diesel to dilute it

2. The fuel is contaminated and the damage is done - will need to replace the entire fuelling system which would seem to run into £££££££££'s

What should I do???

Keep driving and dilluting with diesel?

Get the tank drained and refil with diesel?

Get the car back to the dealer?

Stop worrying?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Hope this has been resolved. Surprised by your elementary mistake and compounding it when all you needed after this first 6 litres was a bucket and a length of hose and preferably a wife or a girlfriend or god forbid your Mum as a last resort.

What doesn't surprise me is that you drive a BMW. You'll be telling us you are trading it in for an Audi next. Great cars for inconsiderate, arrogant and dangerous drivers who think they have made it in the world. Don't worry JB we have all been there and you'll get over it, just ask Clarkson.

We had a woman fill her diesel car up with 5 star petrol at one of our filling stations and I just drained the tank, refilled with diesel, bled the fuel filter until sure it was pure diesel fuel coming through, started and ran the engine until it sounded smooth and normal. As far as I know the grateful customer had no further trouble.

Hope this has been resolved. Surprised by your elementary mistake and compounding it when all you needed after this first 6 litres was a bucket and a length of hose and preferably a wife or a girlfriend or god forbid your Mum as a last resort.

What doesn't surprise me is that you drive a BMW. You'll be telling us you are trading it in for an Audi next. Great cars for inconsiderate, arrogant and dangerous drivers who think they have made it in the world. Don't worry JB we have all been there and you'll get over it, just ask Clarkson.

*thesaint sfc likes this*

I don't know what car you drive, but most modern cars have a mesh to prevent the syphoning of petrol.

What doesn't surprise me is that you drive a BMW. You'll be telling us you are trading it in for an Audi next. Great cars for inconsiderate, arrogant and dangerous drivers who think they have made it in the world.

Audi's aren't quite there yet (look nice, but still a bit tinny); I'm too young to drive a Merc; Bentley's and Rollers are too austentacious, I don't do French (OK, I did when I was a teen), I don't do Jap (no style or class), I don't do Swedish (poor German imitations), I don't do Spanish (who would), Ford & Vauxhall (too run of the mill).

I do Italian, but not in the wet, so for me the BMW works as a daily hack, work horse, my white collar van if you like. The 5 series is pretty much a standard Exec saloon - the one that all the others try to beat - the Ford Transit of the boardroom. Nothing special, understated, drives well (I like driving), just does the job and I don't need it for a penis extension (I've got far better cars in my collection to do that).

So come on then NC, what do you drive? A Yaris????

Don't worry JB we have all been there and you'll get over it, just ask Clarkson.

I might well do that. I cetainly wouldn't ask your bum chum James May as he can't even take one of his own jokes.

Anyway, what's your problem? Are you a bit ****ed that I helped fly a plane over St Mary's which added to the demise of your Lord and Master? Now that the dust has settled, isn't it great to be owned by a really successful businessman who has a bit of cash, unlike the failure of a bean counter that buried our club?

Edited by Johnny Bognor

I don't know what car you drive, but most modern cars have a mesh to prevent the syphoning of petrol.

Audi's aren't quite there yet (look nice, but still a bit tinny); I'm too young to drive a Merc; Bentley's and Rollers are too austentacious, I don't do French (OK, I did when I was a teen), I don't do Jap (no style or class), I don't do Swedish (poor German imitations), I don't do Spanish (who would), Ford & Vauxhall (too run of the mill).

I do Italian, but not in the wet, so for me the BMW works as a daily hack, work horse, my white collar van if you like. The 5 series is pretty much a standard Exec saloon - the one that all the others try to beat - the Ford Transit of the boardroom. Nothing special, understated, drives well (I like driving), just does the job and I don't need it for a penis extension (I've got far better cars in my collection to do that).

So come on then NC, what do you drive? A Yaris????

I might well do that. I cetainly wouldn't ask your bum chum James May as he can't even take one of his own jokes.

Anyway, what's your problem? Are you a bit ****ed that I helped fly a plane over St Mary's which added to the demise of your Lord and Master? Now that the dust has settled, isn't it great to be owned by a really successful businessman who has a bit of cash, unlike the failure of a bean counter that buried our club?

'I helped fly a plane' ....will the BMW driver please stand up. 'My daily hack'.....will the BMW driver please stand up. 'I don't need it for a penis extension' Correct as most BMW drivers are tarty estate agents or big knobs.

Thanks for the insight into mesh covered petrol tanks, yawn, yawn.

You're right though about BMW nothing special just like their dealer network and service pricing. What is it these days £150ph to stick a Usb lead into a slot and change the oil and tick an observation sheet. You're being screwed old boy - time to widen you narrow minded and boring horizon. Go buy an Audi the new boy racer for the middle class 40 something.

'I helped fly a plane' ....will the BMW driver please stand up. 'My daily hack'.....will the BMW driver please stand up. 'I don't need it for a penis extension' Correct as most BMW drivers are tarty estate agents or big knobs.

You really have a jealousy problem, don't you?

Is that why you backed the loser Lowe?

Did you not feel threatened by his clear lack of business success and insufficient wealth?

Thanks for the insight into mesh covered petrol tanks, yawn, yawn. .

...but I am right though, Rupert-Jockey

Go buy an Audi the new boy racer for the middle class 40 something.

.... except I am a little way off 40 yet....middle 30's rather than middle class.

Anyway, I mentioned the age, make and model as it may have been relevant to the responses received. As it happens, it does make a hell of a difference - certainly with age. The make and model is also relevant.

When did you last phone any dealer / garage and book a service / ask for advice without them asking make, model and age.?

You really should get off the motoring forum as you have very little to add.

In fact, why stop at the motoring forum?

NC: Why the anger, if you can't contribute to the conversation please avoid insulting people.

Sorry Baj, didn't think I was being anymore sarcastic than some people's demi-god Clarkson. Have you read his articles in the Sunday Times but we do share the same opinion, generalisation or not, of BMW and Audi Drivers. Look in your mirror the next time you are on the road and if you can't see the number plate of the car behind you it will usually be a BMW or Audi, why?

Makes Clarkson angry and me to.

It's a port, not a slot.

Whatever, but probably still about £150 to plug it in and run a print out. 5l of 'premium' oil, bit of air in the tyres, show the inside a vacuum, quick jet wash and hey presto! Mr Bognor your car is ready, sorry to keep you waiting. with the VAT thats £500, we noticed a wiper blade needed changing.

You really have a jealousy problem, don't you?

Is that why you backed the loser Lowe?

Did you not feel threatened by his clear lack of business success and insufficient wealth?

...but I am right though, Rupert-Jockey

.... except I am a little way off 40 yet....middle 30's rather than middle class.

Anyway, I mentioned the age, make and model as it may have been relevant to the responses received. As it happens, it does make a hell of a difference - certainly with age. The make and model is also relevant.

When did you last phone any dealer / garage and book a service / ask for advice without them asking make, model and age.?

You really should get off the motoring forum as you have very little to add.

In fact, why stop at the motoring forum?

Because I find you amusing and that it's reassurung to know in the 21st Century stereotypes are alive and well. Can you tell us some more about how successful you are in your mid 30's and your hairy chested 1980's Ferrari. Have you considered the scrappage scheme for the latter? £2k - worth having.

You 'helped' fly a plane, excellent deep down though, do you wish you had a lady to help drive your slightly sad Ferrari? ;)

Because I find you amusing and that it's reassurung to know in the 21st Century stereotypes are alive and well. Can you tell us some more about how successful you are in your mid 30's and your hairy chested 1980's Ferrari. Have you considered the scrappage scheme for the latter? £2k - worth having.

You 'helped' fly a plane, excellent deep down though, do you wish you had a lady to help drive your slightly sad Ferrari? ;)

Sunday Times?

Don't lie, you read the Daily Mail. Take the headlines and form an opinion without deciding for yourself and looking at the facts.

As it happens, Clarkson has bought a Z1 and Z4 for his wife and he owned an M3 CSL for some time. He was also filmed drinking at the wheel of a car (during the Polar episode) with your bum chum James May - hardly responsible journalism.

Anyway, if you buy a car purely and simply on the basis of what other people will think of you, then you are sad in the extreme and will always be chasing a dream that you will never get. I posted details of my car as I ****ed up and wanted advice from those out there that know more about cars than I do or have had a simlar experience - FWIW I repsect Ponty's opinion and he made the call for Fuel evacuation.

So, to set the record straight, here is my history of BMW ownership which I am more than happy to share, and it has nothing to do with your stereotyping.

My first BM was a bog standard 520 with 130k miles on the clock. At the time I was commuting to London and couldn't afford a new car. I covered 54k miles in two years and I never serviced it and it just kept going. I bought it for £3500 and sold it for £2800. 54k miles on an old car with no bills for a total cost of £700. Total cost of ownership was 1.2 pence per mile. Having owned Fiats, Peugeots, Citroens and Vauxhalls previously, I was seriously impressed as all the aforementioned cars cost me far far more. It did the job.

As a high mileage driver, my next car was naturally a 5 series, as from my own personal experience, it could take the punishment. It was a 3 year old 528 which had 20k miles on it. That was in 2001 and I kept that car until January this year. It finally gave up the ghost with 190k miles on it, so I managed to get 170k miles out of that car over 8 years. Again, before it died, it did the job. The trade in value was £500 due to mileage and condition, so I was driving around in what you could call an old banger. Hardly your typical BMW driver. Up to this point, I only used BMW dealer servicing between 2001 and 2005 to keep the warranty and yes it is excessive and a rip off. That is why I took it out of dealer servicing up to 2009.

In January, having had 11+ years of good value motoring, guess what my next car was? Yep, you guessed it - another 5 series. At the time I did consider other cars, but if you had such a good experience with something, why change it? If you're interested, this 2 year old 5 series cost £16500 for a car that retailed at £38,000 in 2006 - to me that represented incredible value for money. This car will be run for 8-10 years in order to get the best value out of it (assuming I dont keep putting petrol in it).

So there you have it. I would describe myself as a fan of the 5 series rather than a fan of BMW per se. So for me, it is nothing to do with aspiring to certain brand values or thinking I am this, that or the other. It is purely based on my personal experiences which have been excellent. I have covered 234k miles in various 5 series over the last 11 years in comfort and at a cost which is probably a lot lower than many other marques. Looking for good value motoring, hardly a stereotypical BMW driver.

You should try one - buy it second hand (as I always do) and keep it for a few years. You really would be surprised.

There you go, I've contributed to the motoring forum with my driving experiences, some may be interested, agree or disagree. You should try contributing some time and you might get a modicum of respect. How about we debate the merits of your drive? It is the motoring section after all.

As for your scrappage comments, scapping any classic car is sacrelidge in my opinion and goes to prove you really don't give a flying **** about cars or motoring, which does beg the question, what the **** are you doing on here?

As for the plane, you started with the personal attacks and I know Rupert going grates you so much inside. It was nothing to do with bragging (as it was Offix paid for it), I just wanted you to know that I did what I could (however small in the scheme of things) to contribute to your masters downfall - I even changed my avatar for your benefit. As self proclaimed leader of the luvvies, that really ****es you off. Looking at you and your lot on the main board chomping on sour grapes almost gives me as much pleasure as knowing that Saints now have a successful billionaire owner.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Sunday Times?

Don't lie, you read the Daily Mail. Take the headlines and form an opinion without deciding for yourself and looking at the facts.

As it happens, Clarkson has bought a Z1 and Z4 for his wife and he owned an M3 CSL for some time. He was also filmed drinking at the wheel of a car (during the Polar episode) with your bum chum James May - hardly responsible journalism.

Anyway, if you buy a car purely and simply on the basis of what other people will think of you, then you are sad in the extreme and will always be chasing a dream that you will never get. I posted details of my car as I ****ed up and wanted advice from those out there that know more about cars than I do or have had a simlar experience - FWIW I repsect Ponty's opinion and he made the call for Fuel evacuation.

So, to set the record straight, here is my history of BMW ownership which I am more than happy to share, and it has nothing to do with your stereotyping.

My first BM was a bog standard 520 with 130k miles on the clock. At the time I was commuting to London and couldn't afford a new car. I covered 54k miles in two years and I never serviced it and it just kept going. I bought it for £3500 and sold it for £2800. 54k miles on an old car with no bills for a total cost of £700. Total cost of ownership was 1.2 pence per mile. Having owned Fiats, Peugeots, Citroens and Vauxhalls previously, I was seriously impressed as all the aforementioned cars cost me far far more. It did the job.

As a high mileage driver, my next car was naturally a 5 series, as from my own personal experience, it could take the punishment. It was a 3 year old 528 which had 20k miles on it. That was in 2001 and I kept that car until January this year. It finally gave up the ghost with 190k miles on it, so I managed to get 170k miles out of that car over 8 years. Again, before it died, it did the job. The trade in value was £500 due to mileage and condition, so I was driving around in what you could call an old banger. Hardly your typical BMW driver. Up to this point, I only used BMW dealer servicing between 2001 and 2005 to keep the warranty and yes it is excessive and a rip off. That is why I took it out of dealer servicing up to 2009.

In January, having had 11+ years of good value motoring, guess what my next car was? Yep, you guessed it - another 5 series. At the time I did consider other cars, but if you had such a good experience with something, why change it? If you're interested, this 2 year old 5 series cost £16500 for a car that retailed at £38,000 in 2006 - to me that represented incredible value for money. This car will be run for 8-10 years in order to get the best value out of it (assuming I dont keep putting petrol in it).

So there you have it. I would describe myself as a fan of the 5 series rather than a fan of BMW per se. So for me, it is nothing to do with aspiring to certain brand values or thinking I am this, that or the other. It is purely based on my personal experiences which have been excellent. I have covered 234k miles in various 5 series over the last 11 years in comfort and at a cost which is probably a lot lower than many other marques. Looking for good value motoring, hardly a stereotypical BMW driver.

You should try one - buy it second hand (as I always do) and keep it for a few years. You really would be surprised.

There you go, I've contributed to the motoring forum with my driving experiences, some may be interested, agree or disagree. You should try contributing some time and you might get a modicum of respect. How about we debate the merits of your drive? It is the motoring section after all.

As for your scrappage comments, scapping any classic car is sacrelidge in my opinion and goes to prove you really don't give a flying **** about cars or motoring, which does beg the question, what the **** are you doing on here?

As for the plane, you started with the personal attacks and I know Rupert going grates you so much inside. It was nothing to do with bragging (as it was Offix paid for it), I just wanted you to know that I did what I could (however small in the scheme of things) to contribute to your masters downfall - I even changed my avatar for your benefit. As self proclaimed leader of the luvvies, that really ****es you off. Looking at you and your lot on the main board chomping on sour grapes almost gives me as much pleasure as knowing that Saints now have a successful billionaire owner.

No more questions, the prosecution rest's it's case. (Can I suggest you hook up with John Smith on the main forum. I have an inkling you may get on rather well)

:smt015

No more questions, the prosecution rest's it's case. (Can I suggest you hook up with John Smith on the main forum. I have an inkling you may get on rather well)

:smt015

Another informed automotive opinion from Ninetenvy Cantbeseen on the motoring forum. Your input and contribution to this part of the forum is nearly as valuable as your contribution to the main board. Do you actually drive a car or do you have one of them James Mayesque foldaway shopping bikes? ....it would certainly explain a thing or two. To bring this back on topic, at least you can't put the wrong type of fuel into a shopping bike.

Dear oh dear peeps, these 4-wheeled metal thingies are only a means of getting from A to B, after all. Is it possible we might keep the bric-bats down please. Some of us are busy enough moderating the main forum. We usually come here for some light relief.

PM each other if you want to tear chunks out.

Pot, kettle, black.

You just haven't a constructive comment in your mind.

Have you been psychologically assessed to try and find the root cause of your nastiness?

If you think you are humorous then you are way off mark!