Donington Park - The British MotoGP

St Landrew

In case anybody missed it, I saw a trailer on the BBC about their coverage of the British Grand Prix [as they like to call it] this Sunday. I have to say, most MotoGP fans are beginning to get thoroughly p!ssed off with Auntie's coverage, of late, because this season is bloody exciting, and although the BBC recognise that their audience feedback for MotoGP is the best for all the sports they cover, they are beginning to contract their overall coverage, it seems. They get a third of the size of the F1 audience, and they don't promote it one jot; whereas F1, for example only, is hyped wall-to-wall.

Are they taking the hint..? Not yet it seems, because there have been noticable pre and post race cutbacks, despite the excitement during the races. So it appears that MotoGP has to float its popularity by itself, which is a shame, because of all channels, the Beeb have the ability to force a change through if they so desire. They outbid other companies to transmit MotoGP LIVE in GB, and I think it is about time they broadcast with the same committment as others were going to, should they have have won the bidding game.

Anyway, rant over. The last Donington Park Motorcycle Grand Prix runs this Sunday afternoon, and interest in James Toseland's personal account will be acute. There's no doubt Messers Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and probably Pedrosa will start as 1st to 4th favourites. But James is on home territory, and I expect a geat result from him, or a crash, it's that simple. Here are the broadcast times. They have been constantly pushed around this season, so apologies if you are looking at something else, when this guide says MotoGP:

DONINGTON - GREAT BRITAIN

Saturday 25 July

Qualifying

1250-1600, BBC Red Button/online

Sunday 26 July

125 and 250cc race

1220-1435, BBC Red Button/online

Race

1500-1630, BBC One/online

MotoGP Extra

1630-1700, BBC Red Button/online

Would have been nice to get tomorrow's [Friday's] free practice, just like F1 gets, but we're not bitter. :mad: ;)

In qualifying and the race proper on Sunday, also look out for the 3 Brits, Bradley Smith, Scott Redding and Danny Webb, in the 125cc class, at 12.20pm. 125cc races are incredibly competitive, and nobody is ever safe of a result. Also look out for Lee Saint's wild carder - Paul Jordan in this class too.

Paul was 31st this morning, got some good coverage on Eurosport.....he's not the best of riders in the wet but did alright. He set his best time tucking in behind Folger so I expect that will be his tactic for the weekend, tuck in behind a faster rider and try and keep up.

Don't know whether it was expected, but Vale just wings on that Yamaha M1, and came in with a stunning Pole position. Dani Pedrosa did well, but Jorge wasn't happy. Neither was Casey Stoner, but that's nothing unusual. He still looks a bit unwell. So, 1. Rossi, 2. Pedrosa, 3. Lorenzo, 4. Stoner. JT came in 9th, and the 3rd row, which isn't anywhere near as bad as it reads. A good start tomorrow into Redgate and he'll be dicing with the leaders. Do I need to put up a Google Earth photo..? No, but here's one anyway.

250ccs up next, but I've got the itch to get the Viffer out. Cheers.

Donington Park.jpg

Qualification being repeated on Freeview 301 [Red Button] at the moment. For those starting to nod off during the Hungary GP, the 125s and 250s get going properly at 12.20pm until 2.35pm. The main event is 3.00pm. Anyway, you can see the timings at the top.

Paul finished 16th in the 125's, was in 14th and getting a point before missing a gear and dropping down two places.....bit unlucky but enjoyed it.

Yeah well done Paul Jordan. He finished just behind young Marc Marquez, who is almost certainly going to be a future World Champion. And you could say he did beat Bradley Smith, and that's a heck of a scalp.

Got the Viffer out just before the 250ccs came out, but recorded all the races. Only just finished watching the main event. Typical Donington to be atypical of a MotoGP race. Variable weather. Elias led, then fell over spectacularly after touching a white line. Lorenzo fell over doing the same. Rossi fell over, but in true style kept it going to pass other riders who hadn't taken a tumble. Dovizioso got his first senior win. De Puniet oh so nearly made up the distance between him and Andrea, and made me squirm in my seat half a dozen times with his cavalier attitude to white paint. And Colin missed out yet again. I think he's destined never to win a MotoGP because that's pretty much the closest he'll ever get after Assen in 2006. JT equalled his best ever 6th yet again, as Rossi passed him two corners out from the flag. AND WHAT WERE DUCATI THINKING OF STARTING ON WETS when everyone else were on slicks..? Taking a gamble with Nicky Hayden starting in 15th spot may have been something, but to do it with Casey Stoner too..? Mad. As they always say, start with the tyres that fit the conditions in front of you; not what might be around the corner in 10 minutes time. As it happened, it did rain later in the race, but by then the Ducati wets were shot, and possibly worse than slicks. Some people changed to wets, but it was hardly worth it.

BTW, I thought Charlie, Steve, Matt and Suzi were on good form today. And Charlie made me giggle at least once with a smart remark I hadn't heard him use before. Finally, the moral of today's races were:

KEEP OFF THE WHITE LINES..! :)

British Grand Prix result:

1 A Dovizioso (It) Honda 48'26.267

2 C Edwards (US) Yamaha 48'27.627

3 R de Puniet (Fr) Honda 48'27.867

4 A de Angelis (RSM) Honda 48'35.225

5 V Rossi (It) Fiat Yamaha 48'47.889

6 J Toseland (GB) Yamaha 49'01.551

7 M Melandri (It) Kawasaski 49'01.551

8 N Canepa (Ita) Pramac Racing Ducati 49'05.036

9 D Pedrosa (Sp) Honda 49'08.379

10 M Kallio (Fin) Ducati 49'12.112