Driving to Turkey

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Rather than fly, I've decided I'd like to drive to Turkey this year. I don't want to use the Italy-Greece ferry but would rather drive overland as much as possible, including 'bargaining' with the border guards in Bulgaria.

Has anyone done this before? I'd like to take in as much scenery as possible as I can allow up to a week to make the journey.

Any suggestions?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Where in Turkey are you going to??

What about the train from Waterloo.

Fethiye. There are six of us going and train is not an option.

Rather than fly, I've decided I'd like to drive to Turkey this year. I don't want to use the Italy-Greece ferry but would rather drive overland as much as possible, including 'bargaining' with the border guards in Bulgaria.

Has anyone done this before? I'd like to take in as much scenery as possible as I can allow up to a week to make the journey.

Any suggestions?

Don't

You should definitely go via Slovenia - beautiful country. Either via Bled or Soca Valley and the Julian Alps. Seriously.

Croatia coast side is also very beautiful, but I'm not sure about the inland stuff. On the Mongolia Rally I'm interested in one of the war places on the border with Serbia, but I understand it isn't scenic in a traditional sense. Interesting nonetheless.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
You should definitely go via Slovenia - beautiful country. Either via Bled or Soca Valley and the Julian Alps. Seriously.

Croatia coast side is also very beautiful, but I'm not sure about the inland stuff. On the Mongolia Rally I'm interested in one of the war places on the border with Serbia, but I understand it isn't scenic in a traditional sense. Interesting nonetheless.

There seem to be two real options. One going via Germany and Hungary and down to Bulgaria; the other further west and going via Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia before ending up on the main highway to Turkey at Plovdiv.

Like you, I fancy going via the old Yugoslavia route which gives me the option of seeing the historical along with the beautiful. I still have the option of going back the other route if only to go somewhere different.