Hungarian GP

Sheaf Saint

Hope McLaren are further up the front. I have heard rumblings of their relationship souring with Mercedes, so it has to be good for them. (Having said that, when someone owns 40% of you, just how bad can a fall out be?)

Well a very active qualifying session, with Alonso on pole, Vettal and webber taking 2nd and 3rd. Hamilton got 4th.

All overshadowed by Massa getting hit with a spring which fell off of another car and knocked him out. He then hit a tyre wall at high speed. He's due in surgery tommorrow.

Sky News reporting that he is in a stable but serious condition.

What the medical officers are stating, looks like they thought he was concussed when he went to hospital, but later scans proved life threatening injuries......let's hope the lads okay.

What a bitter-sweet Saturday that was. Delighted with our first pole position in 3 years but that's completely overshadowed by Massa's injuries. Two skull fractures plus other minor facial injuries and an induced coma. Hopefully he'll heal quickly. Frankly it's quite bizarre coming so soon after Surtees' accident. The FIA will be bound to react quickly to this but I can't imagine what the answer is right now. I doubt we'll see closed canopies anytime soon.

What a bitter-sweet Saturday that was. Delighted with our first pole position in 3 years but that's completely overshadowed by Massa's injuries. Two skull fractures plus other minor facial injuries and an induced coma. Hopefully he'll heal quickly. Frankly it's quite bizarre coming so soon after Surtees' accident. The FIA will be bound to react quickly to this but I can't imagine what the answer is right now. I doubt we'll see closed canopies anytime soon.

I guess the difficulty with closed canopies is one of vision rather than weight?

can anyone give me the incident in a little more detail, i was getting the yorkshires out the oven!

Alonso went in to Pit...but he was released before the front right tyre was on properly...

the plate looking thing you soo on theside of the front wheels was not secure, it came off, then the tyre fell off...

Hamilton was all over him anyway

Good decision i think. As soon as the wheel came off I said he should have been black flagged. Can't believe he was allowed to crawl round on three wheels and give the pit crew a second try.

Trundling around on three wheels isn't unprecedented. Schumacher managed half a lap at Spa in 1998. Hakkinen lost a wheel at Silverstone in '99. Hill spun out at Silverston in '96 when a wheel came lose. In Oz this year Vettel did several laps with his front wheel and suspension missing.

IMO the FIA is just over-reacting to Massa's injury, although that wheel could have killed someone in the wrong circumstances.

Trundling around on three wheels isn't unprecedented. Schumacher managed half a lap at Spa in 1998. Hakkinen lost a wheel at Silverstone in '99. Hill spun out at Silverston in '96 when a wheel came lose. In Oz this year Vettel did several laps with his front wheel and suspension missing.

IMO the FIA is just over-reacting to Massa's injury, although that wheel could have killed someone in the wrong circumstances.

Gilles Villeneuve did three wheels famously about 30 years ago too.

Good decision i think. As soon as the wheel came off I said he should have been black flagged. Can't believe he was allowed to crawl round on three wheels and give the pit crew a second try.

Ah come on, that happens all the time, at least once a year. It's no more dangerous than running with a shredded tyre or Vettel doing a lap of Australia this season with one wheel only held by the tether.

What is dangerous, however, is not telling the driver that the wheel was loose and that's the accusation.

No mate, as Ponty said this has happened before and no doubt will happen again. They just had the bad fortune for it to happen to them after two freak debris related accidents.

No mate, as Ponty said this has happened before and no doubt will happen again. They just had the bad fortune for it to happen to them after two freak debris related accidents.

I'm sure they have mentioned in commentary a few times this year, that it is now illegal to continue to drive with only three wheels.

Sadly I have no sound pancake. I'm aware that it was from Barichello but I can't see Barichello infront of Massa so it seemed strange from the video how the spring is practically flying towards Massa.

Seems to be flying towards him due to relative velocities. If it's bouncing along the track at 10 mph and Felipe closed in on it at 160 mph then the closing speed to the spring is 150 mph......

Using basic kinetic energy equations.

Energy = 1/2 x Mass (1kg assumed) x Velocity (Approx 70 m/s) ^2

Energy = 2450 Joules

Considering the localised impact on felipe's head. God thats horrible.