MAG

Smirking_Saint

Has the potential to be amazing or has the potential to be really ****.

If they follow what EA did with the Battlefield series (especially number 2) and what Infinity Ward did with Call of Duty 4 then it could be the best online shooter ever made.

But if the go the Socom or Warhawk route then it will be just another shooter.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in the beta

Was not impressed at all. Seemed very last gen, graphics were not great, the reactions i.e shoot registery seemed way out. The lag seemed pretty bad at times. obviously a beta is supposed to be like that.

IGN have their review up

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1063592p1.html

Personally i think i will be giving this one a miss, already have a lot of average shooters to get through.

Played it last night at mates house, total garbage.

It is a weird game, 256 players but only really playing against 64 at a time. The tactical side of it seems non existent. The whole wait until the re-spawn timer is about to run out then press bleed out means next to no wait time in re-spawning. Which is great if you want to just keep playing. But makes the objectives a bit pointless if you have no spawn time ala CS,BF,DOD etc..

The orders system is stupid as nobody follows them. The leaders seem most of the time to not have a clue what they are doing. The graphics have not changed at all since the beta and are really really ****. The grass,trees,scenary might as well have been last gen.

And the worst thing of all...Everyone is snipers.

So having played counterstrike since the start, the battlefield series and of course call of duties this game is terrible in comparison to them.

It just seems like a poor version of Battlefield 2.

If you want a tactical shooter then play Red Orchestra.

I am glad some of you are liking it though.

I am glad you like it mate. I can see it being one of those games that when the idiots have got bored and left the people remaining will be a decent community who want to play it in the right way.

But i think the poor reviews it has got (around 70% on metacritic) are justified. This is the 21st century and while numbers are good they do not mean anything if used in the wrong way. This in my view is what MAG does. Talks about numbers and makes you think i either need xyz amount of numbers for xyz, etc. Which is very much a sort of RPG formula. In shooters it has been done before and to some degree has been good i.e Battlefield.

If you find MAG more fun then that then that is good. But me personally i don't think it comes anywhere close to it or any of the games it is trying to compete against.

Zipper Interactive have basically just done Socom but bigger and worse.

I've been playing for a couple of days and I really like it.

I'm more of a Warhawk fan than a COD fan, and I feel Marco's point about people dropping out to leave a core of fanatics is a valid one.

That is what happened with Warhawk and it is one of the many reasons why it is the best online game ever.

I feel MAG will go the same way.

It is still early days and I feel very few people have got to grips with the giving/acting upon orders element of the game.

I have been playing with some Americans who seem to have a better idea of how to play.

This game has real potential. And that potential lies in teamwork. Intelligent players who organise themselves and communicate effectively will succeed; lone wolves, who pay no heed to their other team mates will soon lose interest and gravitate back to COD.

I do like the fact that you are rewarded for being a team player......for example, medics earn extra XP for helping wounded teammates.

Marco, I agree that the graphics are not of the same calibre as COD, but as a first generation arcade gamer I know that graphics are of little importance.

I'm also impressed by the lack of lag and the crystal clear comms.

There are rather a lot of snipers but that is normal. Warhawk was the same.

It took me quite a while to gain enough confidence to venture out of the missile turrets and sniper spots and fully appreciate the close combat.

MAG........ damn....... it's hard!