Schumacher to race in European GP

Jimmy_D

Good news, although I hope he doesn't make Kimi, and by association, Felipe look slow.

What's the betting he does encouragingly well enough to do the next race, and the next, and the next... and so on, until does indeed make Kimi Raikkonen look the unmotivated and rather par F1 driver he is turning out to be..? And I'll bet Hamilton [and perhaps an already forgotten Button] smiled broadly at the prospect too.

What's the betting he does encouragingly well enough to do the next race, and the next, and the next... and so on, until does indeed make Kimi Raikkonen look the unmotivated and rather par F1 driver he is turning out to be..? And I'll bet Hamilton [and perhaps an already forgotten Button] smiled broadly at the prospect too.

Kimi is a WDC remember. I don't think it's fair to consider him only a "par" F1 driver, mate.

Kimi is a WDC remember. I don't think it's fair to consider him only a "par" F1 driver, mate.

Perhaps I should qualify my opinion then, even though I thought I'd made the point many times. Raikkonen is a World Champion from when the cars had so many driver aids that they the peculiarities in them were more evened out. They were simply relatively easier to drive. Ever since the driver aids were removed, he has been found wanting. I think he lacks the finest edge of driver skill, and I also think Michael Schmacher will show his deficiencies up quite quickly. Next season, I expect Massa [if he is fit and injury free enough to drive competitively again] to take one of the Ferrari seats, and Alonso to take the other. Just my opinion, of course.

be interesting to see what extra he gets out of that ferrari, may just shock a few people. Wonder what odds are that he will win the first gp

I wouldn't bet against this!

He is signed up,I understand to drive until Massa is fit again.How many wins/poles will he get?? :D

I don't think it's nailed on that he will win the next GP. He has been out for nearly 3 years now and will not get to even drive the car prior to Valencia. His fitness will not be up to what it was either. He will also be at a disadvantage in that he has never raced on this circuit before and won't get the chance until friday practice.

Still gonna be interesting though.

He will also be at a disadvantage in that he has never raced on this circuit before and won't get the chance until friday practice.

I know that teams are not allowed to test the 09 season cars during the season any more; but is there anything to stop Ferrari renting the Valencia track for 3 days and giving MS the Fxx or last years car to blat about in as much as he wants?

EDIT: No, ive seen the obvious mistake there. No need to point and laugh you lots, Ive only got a small brain.

I know that teams are not allowed to test the 09 season cars during the season any more; but is there anything to stop Ferrari renting the Valencia track for 3 days and giving MS the Fxx or last years car to blat about in as much as he wants?

EDIT: No, ive seen the obvious mistake there. No need to point and laugh you lots, Ive only got a small brain.

How can you rent a track that is partially based on public roads? - Ah, you have understood your mistake. :D

I don't think it's nailed on that he will win the next GP. He has been out for nearly 3 years now and will not get to even drive the car prior to Valencia. His fitness will not be up to what it was either. He will also be at a disadvantage in that he has never raced on this circuit before and won't get the chance until friday practice.

Still gonna be interesting though.

He has tested there tho... (took a bit of googling!)

https://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4581&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Yu guys are talking as though he's now favourite for the race. Remember he's in a Ferrari which, although much improved, is certainly not the fastest car on the grid. He's up against the fittest era of F1 drivers ever and although he's not in bad shape for a 40yr old, he's far below their standards and even his own. He's not fully recovered from a motorcycle accident he had in February and he still favours a slightly injured neck. He also lost his last two World Championship campaigns, so he didn't even go out as the all-conquering hero.

He's arguably the best driver alive today but his best days are definitely behind him.

He's also yet to pass the medical to be declared fit to drive. Getting out of an F1 car in sub 5 seconds has to be a big ask at 40yrs old ;)

Yu guys are talking as though he's now favourite for the race. Remember he's in a Ferrari which, although much improved, is certainly not the fastest car on the grid. He's up against the fittest era of F1 drivers ever and although he's not in bad shape for a 40yr old, he's far below their standards and even his own. He's not fully recovered from a motorcycle accident he had in February and he still favours a slightly injured neck. He also lost his last two World Championship campaigns, so he didn't even go out as the all-conquering hero.

He's arguably the best driver alive today but his best days are definitely behind him.

He's also yet to pass the medical to be declared fit to drive. Getting out of an F1 car in sub 5 seconds has to be a big ask at 40yrs old ;)

I sincerely doubt he will be up to speed straight away, but once he readjusts to the rigours of racing he should be ok and up the sharp end in a few races.

He may not be up to full fitness and he may be 40, but he was one of the first drivers to be a pro athlete as part of his remit, that will put him in excellent stead.

As an aside, how old was Mansell when he won in Adelaide 1994? I know a refew drivers won races in their 50's during the 50's, but if he could win on his return where would that but him in the all time list of 'oldest' winners?

As an aside, how old was Mansell when he won in Adelaide 1994? I know a refew drivers won races in their 50's during the 50's, but if he could win on his return where would that but him in the all time list of 'oldest' winners?

Nige was 41 (born 8th Aug 53, race was November 94)