A genuine F1 question

Thedelldays

Bad drivers don't win races. Jenson won in Hungary '06, albeit because one of Alonso's wheels fell off, but you have to be at the front to win.

I wasn't at Renault at the same time as JB but plenty of my colleagues were. I don't get the impression he was particularly popular.

I think Button is an extremely good driver who has not had it all go his own way. The Honda is a poor car, it appears, and over the last couple of years, I think Buton has become a bit jaded, having to drive something that is never quite competitive. When you see other people have the fortune fall their way, yet despite your more than equal efforts, they succeed and you don't, it can be very dispiriting. I think Button falls into that category. He gets no fans for failing either, even though the playing field is certainly not level. I think he needs to bide his time, work with Ross Brawn, lose the facial hair, and re-focus his eforts to be the best driver he can.

Sebastian Vettel's excellent drive at Monza should show him things are possible.