Indianapolis-MotoGP

St Landrew

First the first time in 99 years, motorbikes race again at Indianapolis. Rossi is on pole. Has he got the measure of Stoner..?

Indianapolis MotoGP qualifying result:

1 V Rossi (Ita) Fiat Yamaha 1:40.776

2 C Stoner (Aus) Ducati 1:40.860

3 J Lorenzo (Spn) Fiat Yamaha 1:41.177

4 N Hayden (US) Repsol Honda 1:41.271

5 B Spies (US) Rizla Suzuki 1:41.464

6 R de Puniet (Fra) LCR Honda 1:41.492

7 A Dovizioso (Ita) JiR Team Scot 1:41.744

8 D Pedrosa (Spn) Repsol Honda 1:41.754

9 T Elias (Spn) Alice Ducati 1:41.886

10 J Toseland (GB) Tech 3 Yamaha 1:41.897

I know the race has been run, but I've decided not to watch it yet. I thought I'd go to bed early with some nibbles and a glass of red and watch the show from there.

I read that just down the road was a hurricane, and that the race had to be shortened as a consequence, under teeming rain. Bit of bugger really. That's several headline races in one week where the weather has been a factor.

For those wanting to watch, it's being shown as live: 10:25pm BBC2 [after MOTD].

Blimey, what conditions. I'm not sure the F1 cars would have stayed out in them, at the end, as a little bit of a Rossi masterclass was seen. Just as the race was about to go begin, Charlie Cox muttered something about Rossi being a fast starter, which confused me, because sure enough, as usual, he was swallowed by several riders at the end of the first straight. Stoner and Dovizioso tore off into the distance while Rossi was studying the amount of grip he was getting everywhere. Nicky Hayden showed he is still a much better rider than Honda give him credit for and chased the leading pair down, with Rossi in loose tow. Hayden went into the lead followed by Rossi, and there were a few laps of Valentino showing why he always seems to have an edge over everybody as he inevitably reeled Hayden in, and then passed him. The conditions had been drying, but now the hurricane, that had earlier nearly cancelled the race, had changed direction, bringing huge winds back to the circuit. The rain once again came pouring down and the race was red flagged with 7 laps to go. There was some talk about there being a 6-8 lap sprint if the conditions improved, but that seemed to be shouted down by the riders, and the poor spectators looked as though they'd been battered enough. Although when interviewed by Suzi, James Toseland said he would go out again. He'd had nothing to lose as he came in 18th after a very poor rear tyre choice. Rossi's 8th World Championship looks almost inevitable, but he still has to remain on the bike. Oh, and he now has passed Giacomo Agostini's record of 68 premier class wins, apparently to Agostini's annoyance..! Although he still has the most outright wins with 122.

Indianapolis MotoGP result:

1 V Rossi (Ita) Yamaha 37mins 20.095secs

2 N Hayden (US) Honda 37:26.067

3 J Lorenzo (Spn) Yamaha 37:27.953

4 C Stoner (Aus) Ducati 37:48.257

5 A Dovizioso (Ita) Honda 37:48.919

6 B Spies (US) Suzuki 37:49.740

7 S Guintoli (Fra) Ducati 37:56.318

8 D Pedrosa (Spn) Honda 37:57.353

9 C Vermeulen (Aus) Suzuki 37:58.537

10 A de Angelis (SM) Honda 38:02.532

11 A West (Aus) Kawasaki 38:07.274