London Gets a new airport

Hatch

A few years ago it reported on Radio 5live (and it wasnt rthe 1st April) that some travel agents in the USA were advertising Manchester Airport as London Manchester Airport.

Terminal 1 of Manchester Airport is 194 miles from Trafalgar Square according to the AA.

http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/

Why do they do this, just makes them look like complete idiots.

It makes perfect sense. Someone with sound commercial sense, probably the CCO of the airport has said; "Okay, we need to get more income. We get more income from more flights and more passing trade. We get more flights and passing trade by linking ourselves to one of the main finance capitals of the world. That's London. Hence, we shall now be known as London Oxford Airport so the dimwits abroad use us more"

It's that simple ;-)

I was reading an article titled "20 reasons not to fly Ryanair"

One of them was that their advertised flights to Frankfurt went to an airport 80 miles from the city.

Yep, Frankfurt Hahn airport. Dad got caught out on that one once. His secretary then got fired for her error.

One of them was that their advertised flights to Frankfurt went to an airport 80 miles from the city.

Yep, Frankfurt Hahn airport. Dad got caught out on that one once. His secretary then got fired for her error.

Used to be based there. Really out in the sticks and IIRC you could drive to Luxembourg City in the time it took to drive to Frankfurt. Still, nobody is forced to fly to these places so you can't blame Ryanair.

FWIW "Glasgow" Prestwick, "Stockholm" Skavsta and "Oslo" Torp are a fair distance from their city namesakes.

Oh, and "London" Oxford Airport is taking the p*ss. They're blantently just trying to steal buisness jet traffic from places like Biggin Hill.

Southampton (81 miles from London)......

London Southampton Airport anyone?

tbf it's not even in Southampton is it.

You can actually be in central London quicker from Eastleigh (MLT) Airport quicker than you can from Gatwick, Stanstead and even Heathrow (Paddington Xpress excluded) if you time it right and counter in the time saved in baggage reclaim, queing for customs and the shortest walk from terminal to platform anywhere in the World.

eastleigh is the way forward imho after Manston that is.

I noticed that just in time back in March, you'd spend as much money on buses and U-Bahns to the city and back (not to mention 3-4 hours of your holiday) as you would with a proper airline!

Went with Lufthansa, the stewardesses even gave me a sarnie and some orange juice which compared to my previous experiences of air travel was the lap of luxury :)

The one I went to (not with Ryanair) was about a 15-minute train ride from the city centre.

That's El Prat. Ryanair use Girona - which they call Girona (Barcelona) it's about 50 minutes away.

I noticed that just in time back in March, you'd spend as much money on buses and U-Bahns to the city and back (not to mention 3-4 hours of your holiday) as you would with a proper airline!

Went with Lufthansa, the stewardesses even gave me a sarnie and some orange juice which compared to my previous experiences of air travel was the lap of luxury :)

Well, that depends on where you are going. Ryanair go to a lot of places which are right on the edge of the city and used by any other airline.

And I can't think of a single airport which is 3 or 4 hours drive from the city centre. Hahn is 1:30 hours from Frankfurt. Prestwick is 50mins from Glasgow, Beauvais 1hr from Paris, etc.

That's El Prat. Ryanair use Girona - which they call Girona (Barcelona) it's about 50 minutes away.

Yes, and Girona isn't "Barcelona airport". All the proper airlines use El Prat which is 'Barcelona airport' and, as has already been said, a short train ride from the city centre.

Well, that depends on where you are going. Ryanair go to a lot of places which are right on the edge of the city and used by any other airline.

And I can't think of a single airport which is 3 or 4 hours drive from the city centre. Hahn is 1:30 hours from Frankfurt.

3 hours there and back then, which is I think what Mao Cap meant.

Can I just point out that threads about flying and airports is really stretching a motoring forum to its limits..?

Yes, but it is an interesting and amusing topic though isn't it. A pleasant diversion from all of those miserable posts about the football team! Carry on, I say.

Edited by Handyman

3 hours there and back then, which is I think what Mao Cap meant.

If your holiday destination happens to be right outside the terminal for Frankfurt Am Main or Barcelona, then you would probably save 3 hours flying there, tops. In reality you could still end up spending upwards of an hour traveling to your hotel even from those places. It all depends where you live and where you are going.

If your holiday destination happens to be right outside the terminal for Frankfurt Am Main or Barcelona, then you would probably save 3 hours flying there, tops. In reality you could still end up spending upwards of an hour traveling to your hotel even from those places. It all depends where you live and where you are going.

Exactly. Ryanair fly to Stockholm Vasteras which is over 100km from 'Stockholm', however, I travel to Fagersta which puts me 1 hour 30 mins closer to my destination that if I were flying to Arlanda (the main stockholm airport).

Can I just point out that threads about flying and airports is really stretching a motoring forum to its limits..?

Are you serious SL. This subjest is a massive issue for the motorist, for too long we have not been consulted on these decisions, we should be having a say for once. We pay enough money in to the boolin system, let's have a say for a change.

Manston AND Southampton, should be renamed London Manston ans London Eastleifg. Southampton needs to let go. Anyway, it is Eastleigh and the people of Hamshire's airport. Let Hamshire decide.

Are you serious SL. This subjest is a massive issue for the motorist, for too long we have not been consulted on these decisions, we should be having a say for once. We pay enough money in to the boolin system, let's have a say for a change.

Manston AND Southampton, should be renamed London Manston ans London Eastleifg. Southampton needs to let go. Anyway, it is Eastleigh and the people of Hamshire's airport. Let Hamshire decide.

Gosh..! Well ok..! I didn't know that the subjest was such a serious one. I just pointed out that aeroplanes are not cars, bikes, buses or trucks, etc.., hence not exactly motoring. ;)

BTW, where is this mythical Eastleifg, in the mythical Hamshire..? :D

Ryanair have a lot of destination airports which are miles away from the city,I'm presuming its a lot cheaper for them to do that.

Funnily enough whilst booking a holiday the other night searching to fly from any London Airport it was coming up with results from Exeter. My girlfriend laughably asked how close to London is that. Only about 200 miles away.