Laptop

saintrich

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5525.aspx

The Acer Aspire 7520 17" laptop offers the new, innovative Gemstone design for intensive multimedia using Acer empowering tools for digital photos and music. This laptop is an ideal desktop replacement with an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor, 080GB hard drive and 1Gb memory. The Aspire 7520 comes packed with the latest advances in technology without compromising anything on performance. This model comes complete with a DVD rewriter and Windows Vista™ Home Premium operating system and weighs 3.36kg.

this acer is quite nice. I looked at one today in Tesco in Bursledon

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5525.aspx

The Acer Aspire 7520 17" laptop offers the new, innovative Gemstone design for intensive multimedia using Acer empowering tools for digital photos and music. This laptop is an ideal desktop replacement with an AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor, 080GB hard drive and 1Gb memory. The Aspire 7520 comes packed with the latest advances in technology without compromising anything on performance. This model comes complete with a DVD rewriter and Windows Vista™ Home Premium operating system and weighs 3.36kg.

this acer is quite nice. I looked at one today in Tesco in Bursledon

This is the one i'm on.

To be honest didn't know much about Acer so really just took a punt on it due to some good reviews,i am very impressed.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1841379627.1220450193@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadeemmkifehcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&sku=705895

What do people make of this laptop?

Looks like a reasonable price to me, it says it's wireless, so does that mean that i'd be able to connect to my home broadband on it?

Yes you would, although the website says it's currently out of stock...

Looks quite decent, particularly for the price.

Cool, I might go ahead and buy it when I get paid next Thursday, providing I don't see any better deals.

Ah didn't see that, but it says I can collect in store anyway.

Cool, I might go ahead and buy it when I get paid next Thursday, providing I don't see any better deals.

Ah didn't see that, but it says I can collect in store anyway.

Did you see this bit on the web site?

Stay connected wherever you are; requires a Wi-Fi hotspot or broadband USB dongle.

Not sure if that applies to only when out and about?

Also, our friend's daughter has just bought a similar type of machine from Toys R Us. It's mainly for her first year at college. She has just tried to print some homework off and she does not have enough system memory to connect her printer to the machine! I fear she is going to be one disappointed young lady!

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1841379627.1220450193@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadeemmkifehcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&sku=705895

What do people make of this laptop?

Looks like a reasonable price to me, it says it's wireless, so does that mean that i'd be able to connect to my home broadband on it?

It has linux (not windows) only an 8gb hard drive (my phone has one that big) so wont be any good if you want to store much data. Also its a small laptop 8" screen.

Think you need to decide what you want to use the laptop for then it give us a better shout for a recommendation!

It has linux (not windows) only an 8gb hard drive (my phone has one that big) so wont be any good if you want to store much data. Also its a small laptop 8" screen.

Think you need to decide what you want to use the laptop for then it give us a better shout for a recommendation!

Are there any major differences between Linux and Windows?

All I want is to be able to type up my Saints away match reports on the way home from games, rather than waiting until I get home. And also to be able to browse the internet from time to time using my home broadband when someone else is on the PC. Thats it really..

Found this one, comes with 12GB memory rather than 8GB and Windows instead of linux, an extra £50 odd quid though at £247.95 - which I can just about stretch to.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1472299391.1220562814@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadefdhdkfgecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=126565&category_oid=

Will 12GB be enough to run normal programs such as: Windows Messenger, Microsoft Office and Windows Media Player? And have enough memory to store a few songs etc?

Found this one, comes with 12GB memory rather than 8GB and Windows instead of linux, an extra £50 odd quid though at £247.95 - which I can just about stretch to.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1472299391.1220562814@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadefdhdkfgecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=126565&category_oid=

Will 12GB be enough to run normal programs such as: Windows Messenger, Microsoft Office and Windows Media Player? And have enough memory to store a few songs etc?

If thats all you doing that should be fine, guy at work (we're an IT company) has just bought the 904 version of this. They delivered the 1000 verison buy mistake but he's keeping stchum ;-) If your not buying for a few days I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

If thats all you doing that should be fine, guy at work (we're an IT company) has just bought the 904 version of this. They delivered the 1000 verison buy mistake but he's keeping stchum ;-) If your not buying for a few days I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

Yeah not buying until Thursday when I get paid. Nice one.