50MPH National Speed Limit

St Landrew

I understand it has been announced that the Govt is planning to reduce the national speed limit to 50mph. If you want to make your voice heard against this plan then one option is to sign this petition.

Sign

Apologies if it has been posted before.

The deadline is the 9th of September.

I beleive this is for single carriageway roads only. The national speed limit for these is currently 60.

Dual carraigeaway and motorways would remain 70.

I think its a good idea, I don't know of many sinlg carraigeway national speed limit roads that I can safely get much above 50 anyway.

I beleive this is for single carriageway roads only. The national speed limit for these is currently 60.

I think its a good idea, I don't know of many sinlg carraigeway national speed limit roads that I can safely get much above 50 anyway.

Not safely but what if you wanna have a laugh :p

I know absolutely 100's but then as I drive 45000 miles a year I would, a blanket 50 National speed limit would be a pain in the backside. The joke is that the majority of accidents happen on roads where the limit is 30mph, the safest roads in the country are Motorways where the limit is 70mph. I am sick and tired of a useless government insisting on treating me like a child.

On my ride out along the south-west Hampshire and Dorset roads tonight, I would have been restricted to 50mph for much of the way. 60mph may only be 10mph faster, but it feels as if one is still eating up the miles. 50mph on a bike, on an open road, is absolutely dawdling. In fact, I'd probably end up being more dangerous because I know I find it hard to be bothered to concentrate 100% of the time at too slow a speed.

Journalists never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

The consultation paper proposes 20mph limits near schools and 50 mph on rural roads with a high accident record.

Emotive language like "the law will be steamrollered through" really means that it will be voted on democratically like any other law.

Derbyshire Council have already rolled this out throughout the county and for the life of me I can't see why. Yeah there are a few fairly dangerous roads in the peak district but it's down to individual drivers/riders to exercise common sense, not to be treated like children by a nannying committee. Most accidents on these roads (usually bikers) are caused by people going dangerously over the limit in the first place, so whether the limit is 50 or 60 won't make a shred of difference to people who willingly ignore the limit anyway.

I drove to a wedding near Leek a few weeks back and on the main road through you cross the county line into Staffordshire, where the limit just suddenly changes back to the normal 60 again even though the road conditions are identical. It's ridiculous.

There are a lot of muppet drivers out there who fail to use the appropriate speed for the conditions, i.e. not slowing down sufficiently for bends or other obstructions. In theory, reducing the speed limit is a good idea. However, there's a rather naive assumption there that the muppets would all instantly take notice and actually reduce the speed, which probably isn't going to happen. The real solution would be to shoot them all.

Derbyshire Council have already rolled this out throughout the county and for the life of me I can't see why. Yeah there are a few fairly dangerous roads in the peak district but it's down to individual drivers/riders to exercise common sense, not to be treated like children by a nannying committee. Most accidents on these roads (usually bikers) are caused by people going dangerously over the limit in the first place, so whether the limit is 50 or 60 won't make a shred of difference to people who willingly ignore the limit anyway.

I drove to a wedding near Leek a few weeks back and on the main road through you cross the county line into Staffordshire, where the limit just suddenly changes back to the normal 60 again even though the road conditions are identical. It's ridiculous.

The road from Ashbourne to Buxton is now frustrating, that is a great road with no bugger on most of the time, once past Tissington you can see for miles down it most of the time, what stuns me is when you turn off it to some of the smaller villages you are going onto roads 1/3 narrower but the limit is raised to 60mph. Stunning!!

On my ride out along the south-west Hampshire and Dorset roads tonight, I would have been restricted to 50mph for much of the way. 60mph may only be 10mph faster, but it feels as if one is still eating up the miles. 50mph on a bike, on an open road, is absolutely dawdling. In fact, I'd probably end up being more dangerous because I know I find it hard to be bothered to concentrate 100% of the time at too slow a speed.

So is 60 and 70:rolleyes:

A little bit of common sense wouldn't go astray. It seems obvious to me, as a driver, that the speed limits on some roads is too fast, and on others (albeit in fewer numbers) it is too slow. For example the road outside my house is a 40. It is too fast, and I'm not just saying that because I live there, It narrows and is very dangerous, and IMO should be a 30. (Not to mention there is a police station at the end of the road!) On the flip side, there is a 30 mph speed limit on the A30 towards Ashford, a road I use to go to work, and it is too slow, cars brake dangerously quickly and if anything it has a potential to cause more accidents than it prevents.

A little common sense is all.

As for the 50mph thing, I bloody hope it doesn't get brought in on Duel Carriageways and Motorways. It's far too slow. Even the 70 limit currently on motorways is too slow IMO, I think 80 would be better, but this one in particular is my own opinion and doesn't take into account accident facts etc. The 50mph thing seems like the Government just trying to once again squeeze money out of us by making us speed. And we will speed. Even people that say they won't speed will speed, because it's too slow. A two hour car journey will take nearly an hour longer. Not good.

A little bit of common sense wouldn't go astray. It seems obvious to me, as a driver, that the speed limits on some roads is too fast, and on others (albeit in fewer numbers) it is too slow. For example the road outside my house is a 40. It is too fast, and I'm not just saying that because I live there, It narrows and is very dangerous, and IMO should be a 30. (Not to mention there is a police station at the end of the road!) On the flip side, there is a 30 mph speed limit on the A30 towards Ashford, a road I use to go to work, and it is too slow, cars brake dangerously quickly and if anything it has a potential to cause more accidents than it prevents.

A little common sense is all.

As for the 50mph thing, I bloody hope it doesn't get brought in on Duel Carriageways and Motorways. It's far too slow. Even the 70 limit currently on motorways is too slow IMO, I think 80 would be better, but this one in particular is my own opinion and doesn't take into account accident facts etc. The 50mph thing seems like the Government just trying to once again squeeze money out of us by making us speed. And we will speed. Even people that say they won't speed will speed, because it's too slow. A two hour car journey will take nearly an hour longer. Not good.

If they keep bringing it down, it gets into the realms of making the invention of the car pointless!

Journalists never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

The consultation paper proposes 20mph limits near schools and 50 mph on rural roads with a high accident record.

Emotive language like "the law will be steamrollered through" really means that it will be voted on democratically like any other law.

Except MPs are told how to vote by their Whips. That's what makes these things become law, despite any public opposition.

It's 80kmh here, which is 50mph.

There are some motorways where it's more, but not many. I agree that speed isn't necessarily the problem in non-built up areas, a bigger problem is people driving too fast too close to other vehicles, which they never seem to police properly.

People break them all the time anyway. If the government wants to cut down on injuries and deaths, bring in some legislation that forces car manufacturers to utilise technology and make them safe to crash in at 100mph. OK, this would screw us over in the car market, it would put up the cost of cars - but hey.

Alternatively, just everyone stop driving like a c*nt. Driving speed is about common sense. Any billy big boll*cks who charges around thinking they are 'a good driver' should **** off, we all think we're handy behind a wheel. Just drive normally in built up areas, that'd save at least 50% of accidents.

It's 80kmh here, which is 50mph.

There are some motorways where it's more, but not many. I agree that speed isn't necessarily the problem in non-built up areas, a bigger problem is people driving too fast too close to other vehicles, which they never seem to police properly.

I suppose I resent the Govt putting me into a package marked lowest common denominator. The fact is, we're all legislated for the least capable drivers, and the careless, and the accident prone. The good drivers, who wouldn't have an accident whatever speed is set on the roads just have to take it. But it is bloody boring and positively annoying when a few percent of the brain is taken up with driving, and there in front is a white knuckle driver who you know is driving too close to their limit. I want to quickly get past these people. They are dangerous, and I don't want to be near them. Lower the speed limit still further and it'll eventually mean I can't overtake for fear of breaking what tiny speed limit there is.

I enjoy my freedom on a bike. At present I can leave the cars, desperate to form themselves into a traffic jam, way behind. I know what it's like in a car because I drive too. And it is far better with your wits alive and concentrating, on 2 wheels, and to be able to get past the tin cans.

So what are you trying to say..?

Taking up your point then, if I read it correctly, 50mph is more dawdling than 60 or 70.

Do we want that condition..? No. :smt120 [best eye-rolly thingy we have, I'm afraid]

My point was a light hearted jibe that on the open road on a motorbike, 60 and 70 can also be considered 'dawdling' not that I'm condoning speeding or anything :rolleyes:

My point was a light hearted jibe that on the open road on a motorbike, 60 and 70 can also be considered 'dawdling' not that I'm condoning speeding or anything :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry for being overly serious then. Agreed, 60 or 70 is dawdling on a bike. Rather interesting on a back road though. :D

That's ok, just jealous that you have a bike to hit the open road with *sniff* one day I'll be back in the saddle:p

What's the problem then matey..?

As it happens, every time I give up biking, many years end up going by. I once went 14 years between bikes. Only got this last one because it was such an excellent deal. Wasn't planned at all - just happened.

What's the problem then matey..?

As it happens, every time I give up biking, many years end up going by. I once went 14 years between bikes. Only got this last one because it was such an excellent deal. Wasn't planned at all - just happened.

Spondoolies the problem, as always, there's always something more pressing to spend the cash on. Look forward to the day when I can start dusting of my bike gear, my AGV is still sat in the cupboard gathering dust but can't bring myself to sell it.

Maybe I should check out if I can hire one for a day..................

Spondoolies the problem, as always, there's always something more pressing to spend the cash on. Look forward to the day when I can start dusting of my bike gear, my AGV is still sat in the cupboard gathering dust but can't bring myself to sell it.

Maybe I should check out if I can hire one for a day..................

If you're local you might like to try:

Bournemouth_Motorcycle_Hire

The bikes are in pretty good condition, and well worth a go for a day or two to get the jaded car driver mentality out of yourself. Go on, see if your basher still fits. :)

Totally agree.

• 2 years later...

I've held my licence since 1993 and thought I knew the speed limits inside out, but I've only found out today that some speed limits have subsequently changed. Significantly, it's the category of goods vehicles between 2 and 7.5 tonnes laden weight which affects me as I drive a Citroen Dispatch for work.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Roadsafetyadvice/DG_178867?CID=TAT&PLA=url_mon&CRE=speed_limits

So if you drive a van much bigger than an Astra van, the national speed limit on a single or dual carriage-way is 10mph lower than in a car.

I had to go one one of them speed awareness courses recently cos I got caught doing 34 in a 30mph zone and literally half the class thought the national speed limit on a dual carriageway was 60mph. Coincidently these was the same people who cited their number one driving annoyance as "tailgaters".