Car crash- What would you do??

scott_saints

From S13:

"About 2 months ago driving down the one way system in Winchester a car pulled out of the car park and crashed into the side of mine, There was no-one around and was to dark to take pictures, He did admit liability at the time to me and we exchanged details. I had to pay the excess at first due to being a young driver but we are in the process of claiming this back from his insurance, His insurance company and him are now saying they cant comment on liability. Any ideas what I can do now to get the excess back so I don't lose my no claims?"

But there were no witnesses. Surely he could just say it wasn't his fault and it's his word against mine.

If he agrees on the location of the accident, (ie you were driving down the road he was joining) it doesn't matter. Also, the damage to the vehicles should corroborate the positions of the vehicles (assuming you have pictures of the damage the accident caused to your car, even though you don't have phots from the scene).

His insurance will try and wriggle out of it. If you don't hear anything for a while consider taking him to the small claims court - that'll jolt him/the insurance company into action.

But there were no witnesses. Surely he could just say it wasn't his fault and it's his word against mine.

Threaten with Legal action.

I had some stupid ***** who drove into me on a mini roundabout as i was turning right - Wrote my car off and denied being at fault! Soliciters got in contact with her insurance company and funnily enough she accepted responisblity.

Thanks

What is a small claims court and how does it work?

Small claims court is a civil court for claiming relatively small amounts of money (up to a few grand, I think).

You pay about £50 to start proceedings against someone/a company andof you win you are awarded that back, plus whatever it is they owe you - in this case the excess.

I hate this about the insurance system. You can be sure, that at some point in the proceedings, he has described to his insurance company how the accident happened. You can also be sure that the insurance company has told him to deny all liability, basically to see whether they can get away with paying out as much as they should. Insurance companies, first and formost, seem to cover themselves. If they happen to cover their clients, then that's a bonus.

I hate this about the insurance system. You can be sure, that at some point in the proceedings, he has described to his insurance company how the accident happened. You can also be sure that the insurance company has told him to deny all liability, basically to see whether they can get away with paying out as much as they should. Insurance companies, first and formost, seem to cover themselves. If they happen to cover their clients, then that's a bonus.

They may well 'cover' their client in a fortuitous way but as sure as 'eggs is eggs' they will still up his premium at renewal!

• 4 weeks later...