Championship manager dirt cheap

Thedelldays

so do you get the disk version of the game for this price or just an online version which can only be accessed on one computer? (i have laptop and comp so would want it on both potentially?)

you have to register and when the time for thea deal is up Eidos will send you a link to download the game online....for £2.51...will do for me

It's only worth the £2.51 if you think the CM10 demo is better than a fully patched FM09.

If you do think the CM10 demo it is better than a fully patched FM09 then it is worth £2.51 and a bargain at that price.

If you don't think CM10 demo is better than a fully patched FM09 then it is not worth anything as you may aswell continue playing FM09 until the FM10 demo comes out in roughly 5 weeks and save the £2.51 for something else.

Edited by Matthew Le God

didn't think they were doing patches? Guess whoever started that rumour was talking some ********.

Interesting rumour today around the business world regarding Sega. They posted their results which show a loss of $230m and game sales down 60.5%. Rumour has it they will be shutting down one of their western studios "IF" their 2 big hitters for the holidays fail (Sonic and Mario at the Olympics and Bayonetta). Does not take a genius to work out that they have 3 western studios. Creative Assembly who create the gigantic seller Total War series. Seeing as they are working on Total War Napolean and Stormrise you can bet your ass it won't be them. The other is Secret Level which is now just Sega Studios and well has already had most of the staff fired. However they are supposedly working alongside Gearbox on Colonia Marines and have signed a new deal with Fox to create an as yet un-announced additional Aliens game. This will probably be the new game based on the upcoming new Alien prequel by Ridley Scott. So again likely won't be them.

Which leaves Sports Interactive. A company which spends a shead load of money on using the licenses. Was bought for £30m in 2006. And figures show that for the 06/07 and 08 games total sales were 1.5m. Obviously 09 results will come in Q4 figures. Add to that they have invested a huge fortune on getting FM Live up and running and in almost a year seems to have vanished from the media glaze. The market as always going to be limited.

And this could be the nail in the coffin. The Football Management Genre is very niche market. Aimed at Europeans were football is popular but sales are dominantly from United Kingdom. This could prove to be a bad sign for the company because it does not have mass market appeal instead only being desired by hardcore football fans who are gamers. To put this into some kind of context Fifa 09 was/is considerd the biggest selling football game of all time, one that was heavily marketed across the globe. Had high profile events to launch it and paid a lot of £££ in prize money at various tournaments. EA supposedly spent £200m retaining the rights for the next 4 years. After all that it sold 2m copies. Now on paper that looks low, especially when you compare it to say Halo 3 which sold 10m copies. But in terms of a sport game that is massive sales and 10 will obviously go on to match that. Which puts the sales of the FM series into the spotlight.

So if the rumour is true that following the loss of 60.5% from the games division Sega are shutting shop on 1 of their western studios it would obviously be SI. They lose money on the franchise and when you lose $230m in just 3 months you know your in the ****.

Naturally all companies have had to cut costs and lots of games companies have gone under or been moved into other companies over the past year. So if it is true then i would not be surprised one bit to see FM10 being the last FM as we know it.

Again that is IF it is true. What we know for fact is Sega are losing a lot of money and have pinned their years hopes on a casual game and a potential hardcore game.

So maybe the whole CM being cheap thing is more down to sales. If CM beat FM in sales this year then that would look bad. Even though the game could be far worse if it has more sales it will be considerd number one. So with FM being number two that could push Sega into acting to protect their investment. That would be ironic retribution by Eidos.

didn't think they were doing patches? Guess whoever started that rumour was talking some ********.

Interesting rumour today around the business world regarding Sega. They posted their results which show a loss of $230m and game sales down 60.5%. Rumour has it they will be shutting down one of their western studios "IF" their 2 big hitters for the holidays fail (Sonic and Mario at the Olympics and Bayonetta). Does not take a genius to work out that they have 3 western studios. Creative Assembly who create the gigantic seller Total War series. Seeing as they are working on Total War Napolean and Stormrise you can bet your ass it won't be them. The other is Secret Level which is now just Sega Studios and well has already had most of the staff fired. However they are supposedly working alongside Gearbox on Colonia Marines and have signed a new deal with Fox to create an as yet un-announced additional Aliens game. This will probably be the new game based on the upcoming new Alien prequel by Ridley Scott. So again likely won't be them.

Which leaves Sports Interactive. A company which spends a shead load of money on using the licenses. Was bought for £30m in 2006. And figures show that for the 06/07 and 08 games total sales were 1.5m. Obviously 09 results will come in Q4 figures. Add to that they have invested a huge fortune on getting FM Live up and running and in almost a year seems to have vanished from the media glaze. The market as always going to be limited.

And this could be the nail in the coffin. The Football Management Genre is very niche market. Aimed at Europeans were football is popular but sales are dominantly from United Kingdom. This could prove to be a bad sign for the company because it does not have mass market appeal instead only being desired by hardcore football fans who are gamers. To put this into some kind of context Fifa 09 was/is considerd the biggest selling football game of all time, one that was heavily marketed across the globe. Had high profile events to launch it and paid a lot of £££ in prize money at various tournaments. EA supposedly spent £200m retaining the rights for the next 4 years. After all that it sold 2m copies. Now on paper that looks low, especially when you compare it to say Halo 3 which sold 10m copies. But in terms of a sport game that is massive sales and 10 will obviously go on to match that. Which puts the sales of the FM series into the spotlight.

So if the rumour is true that following the loss of 60.5% from the games division Sega are shutting shop on 1 of their western studios it would obviously be SI. They lose money on the franchise and when you lose $230m in just 3 months you know your in the ****.

Naturally all companies have had to cut costs and lots of games companies have gone under or been moved into other companies over the past year. So if it is true then i would not be surprised one bit to see FM10 being the last FM as we know it.

Again that is IF it is true. What we know for fact is Sega are losing a lot of money and have pinned their years hopes on a casual game and a potential hardcore game.

So maybe the whole CM being cheap thing is more down to sales. If CM beat FM in sales this year then that would look bad. Even though the game could be far worse if it has more sales it will be considerd number one. So with FM being number two that could push Sega into acting to protect their investment. That would be ironic retribution by Eidos.

Never read such rubbish before :D Can't even be bothered about rebutting it in detail.

FM09 sold approx 1 million units at £30. Why on earth would SEGA shut that down? Even if they did another publisher would jump at the chance to snap up SI.

CM sell a fraction of that and this year is selling for 1p

10,000 copies of CM10 at 1p (£2.50 is admin fee) equals less than 4 copies of FM10 at £30

Edited by Matthew Le God

Never read such rubbish before :D Can't even be bothered about rebutting it in detail.

FM09 sold approx 1 million units at £30. Why on earth would SEGA shut that down? Even if they did another publisher would jump at the chance to snap up SI.

CM sell a fraction of that and this year is selling for 1p

10,000 copies of CM10 at 1p (£2.50 is admin fee) equals less than 4 copies of FM10 at £30

Please do a rebuttle Matt as im interested to know how you believe that with facts please.

Here are the Sega numbers http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/index.php/2009/07/31/sega-sammy-holdings-financial-results-quarter-ended-063009/ proving what i just said.

And if you look at http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sega-acquires-sports-interactive your see that it says 1.5m copies.

FM 09 has yet to have it's numbers released which will come as i said in Q4 such is how business works.

However just to make it a bit clear for you

Championship Manager 4 is the biggest selling Football management game of all time. It at that time actually was the fastest selling PC game of all time having a massive 124k copies sold in just 7 days. 6 years on and obviously that record was broken by Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft.

So for FM09 to have sold a million such as you claim would mean it would of beaten that record which it hasen't or would of sold on average 20k a week for 52 weeks.

If it had done that it would of been inside the top 10 games for the whole year across all formats. To put that into further context it would of sold more copies then Mario Kart on the wii in the same time. Obviously thus proving it is ********.

But on further inspection at the media prep for 2010 i notice it says 1m meaning across all formats. So thats windows,mac and the portables. It will be interesting to see how those numbers turn out in the official release to shareholders. I'm assuming they have naturally added a few hundred k due to digital purchases.

So let's be having your re-buttle Matt with facts please as to why it is rubbish. If they shut down UK Racing Studio which made Sega Rally which was a huge hit then why would they not shut SI. Even if 09 did indeed sell 1m copies (which was 17.99 at Game/Play/Amazon the main game places not 29.99) that is still small fish.

Also this is the tracking for game sales

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_pg_4?ie=UTF8&pg=4

Notice FM09 does not even make it onto the top 100. But yet CM is there....

Edited by St Marco

good points St Marco

but at £2.51 for CM10 after just playing it, I will happily pay £30 for FM10..

CM10 looks awful IMO and no a scratch on FM...

I remember you saying CM10 will be strong competition for FM...this will only be the case due to the sales at such a low price..

I did indeed say CM10 would be good competition this year for FM10, but i also said it was a load of **** :)

And as you say the only reason it will be compeating is because of how cheap it is. If they were both say £20 to begin with it would be a landslide win for FM10.

But companies don't care about reviews or even gamers opinions. They care about £££ and sales figures. IF CM10 sell's more copies then FM10 does then Eidos will print that everywhere it can. Even though it is a crap game and FM the far superior game it won't matter because the stats will show that CM10 sold more copies. Thus pushing FM into 2nd place. If you are a company that is taking huge hits then naturally you only have so long until you either get to a zero bank balance or until you get into masive debt. This is when companies try to get rid of toxic assets. Ones which simply don't make that much money or have the potential to make much money.

Sega have started to go in a different way with their publishing now by doing deals with third parties such as Lucas Arts or Obsidian etc. Which again lowers costs.

If you look across all electronics companies especially games companies you see that in the last 12 months they hace cut back a lot. Both Microsoft and Sony have closed studios and sacked a lot of people. Sega has only really done that once over the past year with the closing of UK Racing. Which was then picked up by Codemasters. So as i said is just a rumour but as i said before if you run at a loss you can only do that for so long before you get in the ****. Sega themselves know this all to well from their console days. Who would of thought back when the Megadrive was out that Sonic and Mario would star in the same game?!

I'd wager some serious money that the "demo" of CM2010 has less bugs than the launch release of FM2010.

How will you quantify this bet in terms of numbers of bugs?

Have you actually played the CM10 demo? It is riddled! Even more so if you include data factual errors.

FM10 will be alot more polished than normal this year as the testing process has changed dramatically i.e. it has been in beta testing with alot more people for much longer than in previous years.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised Steve ;)

Edited by Matthew Le God

How will you quantify this bet in terms of numbers of bugs?

Have you actually played the CM10 demo? It is riddled! Even more so if you include data factual errors.

FM10 will be alot more polished than normal this year as the testing process has changed dramatically i.e. it has been in beta testing with alot more people for much longer than in previous years.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised Steve ;)

PLaying CM10 at the moment. Seems okay to me. Besides, I don't think FM is always factually accurate anyway (ignoring the opinions side of the debate) - who was it who had Saints down as rivals with Reading and Derby, after all? ;)