SWF Trip to 2010 Belgian GP 27th-29th August

Arizona

Spoke to a couple of people on here about going to Spa for this years race, but unfortunately I left it a bit late and nobody could get time of work, etc.

Anyway, I'm planning to go to next years race and thought I'd see if anyone on here wants to tag along. Would be good to put a few names to faces and better than going on my tod again. Thought I'd get the message out early in case people need to request the days off work in advance.

I'd probably be driving over and getting the ferry from Dover. Naturally the cost of the ferry, fuel and hotel (depending on where we stay) would be cheaper the more people who go. Bronze tickets for the weekend are 160 euro.

Everyone is welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Rough idea of costs:

3 day bronze ticket - e160 (£140 ish)

Return ferry - £120

Fuel - £150 (I stayed in a hotel in Charleroi which was 1 hr 30 from Spa)

Hotel - e40 a night, 4 nights (£140 ish, £70 for 2 sharing. Basic but clean hotel)

So if we take

1 person - £550

2 people - £345

3 people - £300

4 people - £278

More than 4 and we'd need another car.

I'll bet, considering there wont be a race there next season. ;)

And yes your right, but I'm going to Spa!:axe:

There may not be a race at Spa either, fella. The circuit's currently legally shut down after a judge set a permanent closure injunction against it. I have no idea whether it will be resolved it time either.

http://sport.turbomagazine.be/index.php?pg=news&id=2681

Sorry, it's in French.

Edit: Here's something in English

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/09/23/spa-loses-right-to-host-f1-race/

A race suspension until 2026, apparently.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, according to the provisional calendar, Spa is still on there on the original dates, so a compromise would seem to have been reached.

Spa wasn't on the calendar in 2003 or 2006. The reasons were a dispute over tobacco advertising and modifications to the circuit respectively.

Why bother? Just ask Ponty who is going to win.

That is genius.

Lets all get down there and Ponty to tip us the wink. We could make a killing.

can you imagine if us saints fans through the medium of SWF take the bookies to the cleaners? We could all retire on 1 single car race? Ponty are you in?

Well, according to the provisional calendar, Spa is still on there on the original dates, so a compromise would seem to have been reached.

Spa wasn't on the calendar in 2003 or 2006. The reasons were a dispute over tobacco advertising and modifications to the circuit respectively.

'tobacco adverting' being the most important issue probably.

Wonder what that 'compromise' was actually. Who runs that sport really? Just a load of 200mph adverts. I do not get it?

I would see bettre and worse driving if I sat at the ASDA roundabout. yes you all know the one. What a scary roundabout. SLOW DOWN people, we all want to get home ffs.

And i still get the brainwashing from all the ASDA lorries passing by. Or should that be parking by. What the **** has happened to that roundabout? ****ing ASDA, 3 bottles of Red for a tenne though? You can't argue with that. BASTARDS

Is it no co-incidence that BASTARD is an anagram of ASDA TRB.

Should be a good trip. I may be washing my hair.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This sounds a very tempting: just a little tip use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to go thru the Tunnel. You have £10 of Clubcard vouchers they become £40 off the price of a ticket. We have a tunnel booking prime time return in the summer £158.

Just as an aside I quite fancy Le Mans one year

• 2 weeks later...

Can I come, can I ? Spoke to me mum this morning and she thinks it's a good idea. Charged the DS up for the journey and got some yummy cakes and pop packed. Will I need a passport, and what colours are we wearing? Can I have a window seat and what sort of figure are we looking at on the pocket money front.

Can't bloody wait for this one, Wooohoooo!

It seems we have four onboard for this trip. Still room for one more if anyone's interested.

Tickets - €150

Chalet - €350 between all of us. €70 each if we get 5 people.

Ferry - £30 each.

cheers mate, will start arranging childcare etc :-)

• 4 months later...

Had an awesome weekend in Spa with Baj, JustMike and Spudgun. Got to see all 3 days of actions in what has to be one of the most entertaining and wettest Grand Prix weekends for some time.

Arrived at the track Friday morning to a thunderstorm. I've never seen anywhere so dark at midday as that. It was like an eclipse. Tipped it down all day, but it at least made some of the practice sessions a bit interesting.

Saturday provided one of the best qualy sessions I've ever seen. Everyone desperate to get a lap in before the rain came in the first session, to the point where cars were overtaking and crashing into each other on their flying laps. It was a like a 2 lap race, with more action than the whole weekend at Bahrain or Barcelona.

The race was brilliant too. We all went nuts when Hamilton beat Webber off the line and came through to lead, past where we were sat on the first lap. Wanted Rubens to have a good 300th Grand Prix, but laughed my arse off at his colision with Alonso. Wasn't even close to getting the car slowed down for that corner. Then that muppet Vettel ruined a perfect weekend by taking out Button with a Formula Ford level mistake. Gave him a nice big boo, then a cheer when he went past with a puncture several laps later after another colision. Nearly shat myself when it rained and Hamilton went off and was gutted for Kubica losing out to Webber with a mistake in the pits. To cap off an excellent race, Rosberg stuck one past Schumacher at the end and Alonso went and spun off into the barrier. Went nuts again when Hamilton hung on for the win after the second safety car. After all that me and Baj stood playing along to the national anthem on vuvuzelas during the podium ceremony on the giant screen. Then we ducked under the fench and wandered halfway back round the track to Eau Rouge. I've even got a chunk of carbon fibre from Alonso's crashed Ferrari as a souvenir.

Epic weekend, if you ever get chance to go to the GP at Spa, I can't reccomend it enough. :D

Had an awesome weekend in Spa with Baj, JustMike and Spudgun. Got to see all 3 days of actions in what has to be one of the most entertaining and wettest Grand Prix weekends for some time.

Arrived at the track Friday morning to a thunderstorm. I've never seen anywhere so dark at midday as that. It was like an eclipse. Tipped it down all day, but it at least made some of the practice sessions a bit interesting.

Saturday provided one of the best qualy sessions I've ever seen. Everyone desperate to get a lap in before the rain came in the first session, to the point where cars were overtaking and crashing into each other on their flying laps. It was a like a 2 lap race, with more action than the whole weekend at Bahrain or Barcelona.

The race was brilliant too. We all went nuts when Hamilton beat Webber off the line and came through to lead, past where we were sat on the first lap. Wanted Rubens to have a good 300th Grand Prix, but laughed my arse off at his colision with Alonso. Wasn't even close to getting the car slowed down for that corner. Then that muppet Vettel ruined a perfect weekend by taking out Button with a Formula Ford level mistake. Gave him a nice big boo, then a cheer when he went past with a puncture several laps later after another colision. Nearly shat myself when it rained and Hamilton went off and was gutted for Kubica losing out to Webber with a mistake in the pits. To cap off an excellent race, Rosberg stuck one past Schumacher at the end and Alonso went and spun off into the barrier. Went nuts again when Hamilton hung on for the win after the second safety car. After all that me and Baj stood playing along to the national anthem on vuvuzelas during the podium ceremony on the giant screen. Then we ducked under the fench and wandered halfway back round the track to Eau Rouge. I've even got a chunk of carbon fibre from Alonso's crashed Ferrari as a souvenir.

Epic weekend, if you ever get chance to go to the GP at Spa, I can't reccomend it enough. :D

Sounds like you guys enjoyed it as much as I did!

The missus and I did the whole weekend too (including the pitwalk on the Thursday). Where were you sat?

On the Friday we were about halfway along the Kemmel Straight but spent Sat and Sun on the big grass verge at Pouhon.

We pre-booked to hire on the Kangaroo TV devices for the weekend too, definitely worth the 50 euros we paid.

Sounds like you guys enjoyed it as much as I did!

The missus and I did the whole weekend too (including the pitwalk on the Thursday). Where were you sat?

On the Friday we were about halfway along the Kemmel Straight but spent Sat and Sun on the big grass verge at Pouhon.

We pre-booked to hire on the Kangaroo TV devices for the weekend too, definitely worth the 50 euros we paid.

Pretty much the same actually.

Friday session one we were half way along Kemmel too. Friday afternoon and Saturday morning on the inside of Rivage. Qualy and Sunday on the banking at Pouhon. Did you see (or hear) a group of people with two vuvuzelas (one green one blue)? That was us.

Pretty much the same actually.

Friday session one we were half way along Kemmel too. Friday afternoon and Saturday morning on the inside of Rivage. Qualy and Sunday on the banking at Pouhon. Did you see (or hear) a group of people with two vuvuzelas (one green one blue)? That was us.

Heard the vuvuzelas, but didn't see them! I guess you were closer to the top of that grass bank? We were only about 2/3 of the way up it (despite getting there at 7am, the best spots at the top were gone already!). We were right next to a group of Swiss guys who had a massive green/blue old Sauber flag.

Did you go to the pitwalk on the Thursday? Great to meet some of the drivers, but completely unregulated in terms of crowd control, wouldn't be surprised if people got injured at it.

I did laugh when I saw what campsites in the local vicinity were charging, we camped 23rd-30th in Bastogne for cheaper than those only staying for the weekend locally and it was only about a 45 min drive to the circuit for us each day.

Heard the vuvuzelas, but didn't see them! I guess you were closer to the top of that grass bank? We were only about 2/3 of the way up it (despite getting there at 7am, the best spots at the top were gone already!). We were right next to a group of Swiss guys who had a massive green/blue old Sauber flag.

Did you go to the pitwalk on the Thursday? Great to meet some of the drivers, but completely unregulated in terms of crowd control, wouldn't be surprised if people got injured at it.

I did laugh when I saw what campsites in the local vicinity were charging, we camped 23rd-30th in Bastogne for cheaper than those only staying for the weekend locally and it was only about a 45 min drive to the circuit for us each day.

We were about a couple of 'rows' back from the top of the grass bank, pretty near the top. I think I remember seeing that Sauber flag on Saturday during qualy, can't remember it during the race. Can you see yourself on here at all?

raceday005.jpg

We didn't do the gridwalk on Thursday, can you get in with a bronze pass? We didn't arrive in Belgium until Thursday evening so Friday morning was our first day at the circuit. We stayed in a lovely hut in a small village in the Ardennes, about 45 minutes away too.

Haha, no, we weren't up the tree!

Can't see us on that pic but you must've been fairly close. We were on quite a marshy bit of ground, but it meant our fold-out chairs dug in well. I'll put a pic up of where we were once the missus gets round to uploading them from her camera (it's an SLR and I'm not allowed to touch it, lol)

Shame Hamilton ruined all his good work that day with his forgettable drive (if you can call it that?) today.