Parking Fine

Baj

Got a tough one.

I pulled my car up at a 2 hour parking spot to take a phone call. Whilst taking the call I saw the traffic warden walk past with a mate and wonder off to the shops. Phone call went on for about 20 mins, I then left the car where it was, went off to the shops and returned 1h45mins later... to a parking fine.

Now, I know as sure as hell that the warden has no proof of the time I parked other that seeing me pull up. I contested this by asking the council to prove I was parked up at the time they said I was and they replied with "we took a valve reading, so we know the car didnt move"

Thoughts?

Doesn't a valve reading mean the position of the valve on the tyre? I think the position of the valve is checked by the warden when the car is first seen and is then compared at the second time. If the valve hasn't changed position then they take the view that the car hasn't moved.

Also, normally you can't return to the same space within 2 hours so you may have a problem contesting this one.

This site may help. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Got a tough one.

I pulled my car up at a 2 hour parking spot to take a phone call. Whilst taking the call I saw the traffic warden walk past with a mate and wonder off to the shops. Phone call went on for about 20 mins, I then left the car where it was, went off to the shops and returned 1h45mins later... to a parking fine.

Now, I know as sure as hell that the warden has no proof of the time I parked other that seeing me pull up. I contested this by asking the council to prove I was parked up at the time they said I was and they replied with "we took a valve reading, so we know the car didnt move"

Thoughts?

So your car was in the space for 2 hours 5 minutes. A bit harsh but you exceeded the 2 hour limit.

What proof do you expect them to provide? They would have noted your registration when they first walked past and then 2 hours later issued the ticket. The ticket you got should have something along the lines of 'First witnessed at' with a time and then 'second witnessed at' with a time, with both times being at least 2 hours apart.

Baj, neither; council, parking enforcement officer, police officer can 'fine' someone.

I am fairly confident in saying that a 'fine' can only legally be issued by a court of law. If your ticket says that it is a 'fine' then it is my understanding that you do not need to pay it.

Check that smallprint too Baj, if they have a surcharge for paying by credit card, that is also unlawful. And it matters not whether you intend to pay by that method as if any part of the wording and/or details is unlawful then the whole thing is unlawful.

I am sure some will think that you should pay up, but I disagree. These things may act as deterrent, but the charges are ridiculous and I one day hope that there is a ruling like the bank charges one that backs up the motorist on the matter.

Check out that pepipoo site too Baj.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Traffic wardens over here mark the tyre with chalk and now and then you see people rubbing very

hard to remove the chalk before the TW returns :D

Doesn't happen in the UK as far as I know as, due to our very strange criminal laws over here, that could be construed as criminal damage.

Never, ever try parking anywhere in Watford, you'll likely get clamped and a fine. I have never seen so many parking wardens in any town in my life, the council shouldn't have to charge Council Tax the amount they must gather in parking fines must be millions!

We have a problem with clampers in Windsor that has become so bad that the council are going to issue the clampers with ASBOs to stop them coming into the town.

In one particular car park they clamp within a minute of your ticket expiring and also if your wheels are even touching the white lines indicating the spaces.

Baj, neither; council, parking enforcement officer, police officer can 'fine' someone.

I am fairly confident in saying that a 'fine' can only legally be issued by a court of law. If your ticket says that it is a 'fine' then it is my understanding that you do not need to pay it.

Check that smallprint too Baj, if they have a surcharge for paying by credit card, that is also unlawful. And it matters not whether you intend to pay by that method as if any part of the wording and/or details is unlawful then the whole thing is unlawful.

I am sure some will think that you should pay up, but I disagree. These things may act as deterrent, but the charges are ridiculous and I one day hope that there is a ruling like the bank charges one that backs up the motorist on the matter.

Check out that pepipoo site too Baj.

If there is ever a 'refund' on parking fines, I would be owed thousands.

If there is ever a 'refund' on parking fines, I would be owed thousands.

Parking fines are a tax on the stupid.

Parking fines are illegal, have a quick read of this:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t36894.html

Although that is not a great example as the poster had parked in a blue badge bay, and we all know that that is the ultimate offence which should lead to public beatings. If caught of course :D