Japanish Grand Prix

Arizona

Great to be back at Suzuka. Second only to Spa on the F1 calendar IMO. A wet race for a change would be different, as long as Button doesn't crash and Rubens doesn't win. :)

Force India were the team to beat in Friday's canoeing session.

Button's lucky to be there tbh. He set the fastest sector 2 of the session in Q2 under waved yellows. That's a massive no-no. It's dangerous and against the rules which require you to lift off the throttle under waved yellow flags. If there are no protests I'll be amazed.

Trying to figure out how the grid is going to work out. I mean, Button Qualied in 7th, if you move him back 5 places that's 12th, but Alonso and Kovi we're 12th and 9th. If they both drop 5 places, does that mean Button gets promoted 2 places and the net loss is only 3 places? Or do they just move the guys who were behind even further up and he starts 12th?

This reminds me of Villeneurve in 1997. Ignored double yellers in a practice session and was eventually DQd from 5th in the race.

I think people were falling off for two reasons -

1. FP1 and FP2 wiped out 3 hours of decent dry running, so the guys are a bit off the scale in terms of where the grip is and its been a couple of years since F1 were last at Suzuka, so new ground for Lewis, Jamie, Buemi etc on quite a unique track.

2. the contracts for next year still aren't finalised for some (Hekki for example), so drivers are pushing a bit closer to the limits than normal.

It's over !

01 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:28:20.443

02 J. Trulli Toyota + 4.877

03 L. Hamilton McLaren + 6.472

04 K. Räikkönen Ferrari + 7.940

05 N. Rosberg Williams + 8.793

06 N. Heidfeld BMW + 9.509

07 R. Barrichello Brawn GP + 10.641

08 J. Button Brawn GP + 11.474

So Button is 14 ahead of Barichello and 16 ahead of Vettel

Mention of a possible penalty for Rosberg over going to fast under safety car? 25 second penalty if it is, hands more points to Button and Barrichello and gives the constrictors championship to Brawn... More to follow!

They only need half a point anyway!

Glad I didn't get out of bed to watch that, because I almost fell asleep watching it.

Good result for Jenson overall I guess. Rubens would need at least 2 2nd places to overhaul him now, Vettel a win and a 2nd. All without reply from Button.

I didn't get up for it either, finished watching about half an hour ago. That safety car could've played into Kimi's hands big time with Lewis' KERS not working, thank goodness he managed to hold him off. Jens did well holding Kubica off too, got VERY close at one point - those last 5 laps were the most exciting part of the whole race!

Any news on the Rosberg situation yet? Just checked F1.com and they don't even have the full driver interviews up yet...

No one deserves the WDC this year, certainly not 'cruise and collect' Button. Honda did a great job on the car though. Fair play.

He will deserve it if he gets the most points. He made the most of having the best car at the start of the season and won 6 of the first 7. Since then Brawn haven't had the fastest car, but Button has picked up points in every race except Spa, when he was taken out.

I could call Fernando "cruise and collect" for his 2005 Championship. After a decent start he just sat back picking up points whilst Raikkonen and Montoya took most of the wins.

No one deserves the WDC this year, certainly not 'cruise and collect' Button. Honda did a great job on the car though. Fair play.

If the results this year were reversed and Button was winning the LAST 6 out of 7 races to win the title, everyone would be hailing him as one of the greatest ever champions.

Rather that approach than the Schumacher approach that if I can't beat you then I'll just take you out. Button had the best car early season and made the most of it and will certainly deserve the Championship which is surely his now.

He "deserves" it more than anyone, I agree, but I said no one deserves it. I like a champion to take a season by the scruff of the neck and look like they want to win every race - even if they don't manage to.

I'm sure Buemi would like to win every race. However when you don't have the equipment to do it, you're always going to be p*ssing into the wind.

I think he could have done better, as Rubens has shown, but that Brawn hasn't been the best car since Silverstone. The results since Button won in Turkey are only 5-3 in Rubens favour, so it's not as if Button has lost the plot.

If anything Qualifying mistakes have let Button down. He had scrappy laps in Silverstone, Spa, Singapore and again this weekend.

He has, except Spa when he was wiped out, made the most of a bad situation and got points in every race. Taking the short-cut to pass Webber in Valencia is the only race mistake I've seen him make all season (so far). These are the hallmarks of a worthy champ IMO.

He will deserve it if he gets the most points. He made the most of having the best car at the start of the season and won 6 of the first 7. Since then Brawn haven't had the fastest car, but Button has picked up points in every race except Spa, when he was taken out.

I could call Fernando "cruise and collect" for his 2005 Championship. After a decent start he just sat back picking up points whilst Raikkonen and Montoya took most of the wins.

I'll retract it if he wins the last GP (or even Brazil) to take the title, despite not having the best car on the grid.