Nissan 300ZX - Chav or not..?

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Ok, here goes. I've got 3k to spend on a car as mine decided to give up the ghost, and so I'm looking around for something quite nice to drive, relatively fast etc, and I cam across the 300ZX. Certainly quick enough, but, is it chavvy? I am not chavvy at all but don't want to buy a car that is. I would only get the standard car without mods.

Other than that, any ideas?

Very expensive when that twin-turbo delight goes wrong, that's all I'd say. The same goes for the similarly-priced and specced Mitsubishi 3000 GT, or GTO (depending on country of origin).

£3k should see you a good, low-mileage (possibly imported) turbo Impreza. Brilliantly bomb-proof, in unmolested standard spec, quicker than the 300ZX, more practical and similar to insure. The Turbo 2000 is the UK variant of the imported WRX.

Good alternatives for the money, which are also more reliable, include the MR2 GT Turbo (only imports and only 2 seats) and the Nissan 200SX. The Nissan is lower on power than the 300ZX but is a better looking (IMO) more grown-up car which still manages 0-60mph in 6 seconds (ignore official figures as they undersold it's ability to keep the insurance prices down).

Oh, and no cars are "Chav" when they leave the factory. Only their owners can make them that way.

Sadly they can be given a certain stigma if the model type lends itself. Poor old Citroen Saxo, Subaru (Scooby) Impreza, Vauxhall Chavalier and Toyota Chavensis.

Sadly they can be given a certain stigma if the model type lends itself. Poor old Citroen Saxo, Subaru (Scooby) Impreza, Vauxhall Chavalier and Toyota Chavensis.

Those are four completely different types of car - small hatch, saloon, 80s family hatch and repmobile - and you've managed to claim that their "model type" lends itself to chavness. We can't all drive MPVs and 4x4s... about the only ones you didn't pick out.

Odd choice of cars! I have to say I have never, at any stage of my life, considered the Toyota Avensis to be Chavvy? It's just a boring rep-mobile. I don't think I've even seen one modified before!

By the way, Ponty's right about the 200SX. Very underated and very fast. Favoured by a lot of 'drifters'.