Breakdown Cover

thesaint sfc

As I'm now driving to Devon once every week/couple of weeks I need some breakdown cover. Does anyone know the best way of getting this on the cheap? I went on the Money Supermarket one and found a few between £26-31. However one of them I struggled to see what it actually did cover, and another had a £40 excess!

I'm about to phone up swiftcover and see what they can offer me as they provide me with car insurance.

Before I get called a goon because I should be able to fix any problems myself, I struggle to fill up at the petrol station so that really isn't an option.

I've used both 'pay and claim' services and 'automatic' ones over the years, and believe me I have had some really crap cars and most definitely had my money's worth. I couldn't believe it when the AA went private and they sent me a cheque for about a hundred quid as they were effectively buying my 'share' .

Anyway, I have used AutoAid (a subsidiary of Boncaster Insurance) for the past 3 years and have not had any reason to regret it. at less than £40 a year for FULL cover, it is an absolute steal. Just remember to put in your claims. The response times have so far been within the hour too and the policy is for the DRIVER not the vehicle, so applies even if you are a passenger in a mates car.

here's the details which explain it batter than I can:

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/works01.htm

When driving down to the West Country, be careful if you do break down as to whether you need to get to your destination and have no option other than pay a garage to fix it or would it be better to get home and fix it yourself.

No disrespect to breakdown drivers, but with a few rare exceptions I have found that they have quite basic knowledge or are unwilling or unable to properly diagnose a problem. I did once have an AA man actually go off buy a new alternator and fit it at the roadside for me, he got a tip. And another on the M4 had a box of spares that he carried that had a replacement coil for my Range Rover in it. He wouldn't even let me buy him a coffe from the service station. He said that he was doing his dream job and just loved getting cars foing again.