My bike accident christening...

Baj

Well, not exactly, but just got hit by a car who pulled out without looking. Managed to swerve at the last minute and all that happened was a few scratches on my exhaust.

Aside from the "that's how bikers die" speech, I said there was obvious damage to my exhaust and it would need replacing (to be honest, its a couple of scratches and some paint, but she hit me so **** it, right?)

What have other bikers done in this situation? Should I get my can replaced?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Depends on the appearance of it and the cost TBH. Give the woman the opportunity to pay for it without involving the insurance company. She doesn't lose her NCB or have to pay the excess and you don't have even a no fault accident on your file.

Yeah she offered that, so I said I'd get a quote and let her know. Nothing against me keeping the money and rubbing the paint off I assume?

Apart from the fact that you would have received the money by deception.

If there is nothing wrong with the 'can' - how f*cking American : roll : - then you should have been honest with the lady, and said you could simply rub the paint off!

But I suppose you belong to the 'where there's blame there's a claim' group of people.

Yeah, take the money. She's probably learned her lesson. Besides, if you go through insurance companies, somewhere along the line, someone will suggest she doesn't admit liability and it'll end up knock-for-knock.

Only the other week, a car pulled out on me in Shirley Park Road, but I could see from the car's body language that the driver was going to do it. So I got right over to the far side, stood up on the pegs and waved my arms about while looking directly at the driver. It think it frightened him, which was the idea. Actually, it was a bloody stupid thing to do, but the carelessness of the driver really p!ssed me off.

EDIT: BTW, how did it feel..?

Apart from the fact that you would have received the money by deception.

If there is nothing wrong with the 'can' - how f*cking American : roll : - then you should have been honest with the lady, and said you could simply rub the paint off!

But I suppose you belong to the 'where there's blame there's a claim' group of people.

Firstly, I said there was paint and some scratches, scratches dont rub off a chrome can with a bit of meths.

Secondly, if someone damages my property then I expect them to pay for it to be returned to the condition it was in before they damaged it, that's not a blame culture, it's justice.

Lastly, I have already said I will be replacing the exhaust when I sell the bike, at which point the money will come out of my own pocket, and no doubt the fee to install it will go up.

But thanks for trying to add something to the thread.

When it comes to replacing your exhaust, why not try it yourself..? If memory serves, a Fazer has four downpipes which collect into one or two silencers..? It doesn't really matter how the configuration goes, as long as you buy original and not 3rd party exhausts, which would lower the value of your bike anyway. And if they are stock, they'll fit like a jigsaw piece, so it will be a matter of removal [the slightly harder bit IMO], and replacement, and practically that simply too. Half an hour's job, tops.

When it comes to replacing your exhaust, why not try it yourself..? If memory serves, a Fazer has four downpipes which collect into one or two silencers..? It doesn't really matter how the configuration goes, as long as you buy original and not 3rd party exhausts, which would lower the value of your bike anyway. And if they are stock, they'll fit like a jigsaw piece, so it will be a matter of removal [the slightly harder bit IMO], and replacement, and practically that simply too. Half an hour's job, tops.

Excellent news.

Perhaps Boj will be passing this information on to the lady concerned so she only pays for the parts and not the expensive fitting fee :)

Anything to save her a few quid hey Boj?

Hmmmm, thought not.

Excellent news.

Perhaps Boj will be passing this information on to the lady concerned so she only pays for the parts and not the expensive fitting fee :)

Anything to save her a few quid hey Boj?

Hmmmm, thought not.

Why should I? Why should I take an hour or more (and it will take me an hour or more) to change an exhaust on my bike that she damaged? Don't be such an argumentative arse, if you've got nothing of value to add to the thread then **** off elsewhere.

Why should I? Why should I take an hour or more (and it will take me an hour or more) to change an exhaust on my bike that she damaged? Don't be such an argumentative arse, if you've got nothing of value to add to the thread then **** off elsewhere.

Because it's the right and proper thing to do and it was an accident which she obviously apologised for by offering to pay? She never did it on purpose and accidents DO happen. No one was hurt and it wasn't major.

I thought you'd be better than that in all honesty.

This country is full of dishonesty, it's very frustrating. Only last Friday night, I was in a pub where I got £50 cash back. They gave me the cash and the receipt, only I realised the receipt totalled £10.20, which was just the drinks bill. I could have walked away, £50 up. But no, I immediately highlighted that they'd forgotten to put the cash back through on the card reader.

Do the right thing and do it as cheaply as possible, but obviously to a condition whereby you are satisfied.

Something else I have no respect for is the lovely person who keyed my new car. I dispair of lack of social morals - but they are both new stories.

Because it's the right and proper thing to do and it was an accident which she obviously apologised for by offering to pay? She never did it on purpose and accidents DO happen. No one was hurt and it wasn't major.

I thought you'd be better than that in all honesty.

This country is full of dishonesty, it's very frustrating. Only last Friday night, I was in a pub where I got £50 cash back. They gave me the cash and the receipt, only I realised the receipt totalled £10.20, which was just the drinks bill. I could have walked away, £50 up. But no, I immediately highlighted that they'd forgotten to put the cash back through on the card reader.

Do the right thing and do it as cheaply as possible, but obviously to a condition whereby you are satisfied.

Something else I have no respect for is the lovely person who keyed my new car. I dispair of lack of social morals - but they are both new stories.

No, the right thing for her to do is for her to pay the cost of a new exhaust and fitting so my bike is in the same condition it was prior to her hitting me. If I put a football through someones window, I would expect to pay for the window to be repaired including glass and fitting (as I have done in the past!). I wouldn't expect the bloke to say "oh its alright mate, dont worry, I'll do it myself and ill use cheaper glass, as long as it work, eh?"

No, the right thing for her to do is for her to pay the cost of a new exhaust and fitting so my bike is in the same condition it was prior to her hitting me. If I put a football through someones window, I would expect to pay for the window to be repaired including glass and fitting (as I have done in the past!). I wouldn't expect the bloke to say "oh its alright mate, dont worry, I'll do it myself and ill use cheaper glass, as long as it work, eh?"

I said there was obvious damage to my exhaust and it would need replacing (to be honest, its a couple of scratches and some paint, but she hit me so **** it, right?)

So it doesn't need replacing?

The example you have used is completley different. A broken window, would be, compleltly broken. It would have to be fixed.

Your exhaust is not broken. It will not be affected other then the mentioned scratches and paint. As you say it was her fault for pulling out however getting her to pay for a new exhaust is harsh, when it will work fine.

Correct, so I'd be perfectly happy to entertain methods by which the paint can be removed (meths didnt work, just tried) and get rid of the scratches on the chrome if anyone knows a way. She'd obviously have to pay for this service

Correct, so I'd be perfectly happy to entertain methods by which the paint can be removed (meths didnt work, just tried) and get rid of the scratches on the chrome if anyone knows a way. She'd obviously have to pay for this service

Try cellulose thinners for the paint.

Lol.

Earlier on today, Boj was adamant that only a new exhaust was good enough!

Not it appears he's happy to entertain other 'methods' of getting his 'can' back to it's original state!!

Lol.

Earlier on today, Boj was adamant that only a new exhaust was good enough!

Not it appears he's happy to entertain other 'methods' of getting his 'can' back to it's original state!!

Yes, it's called being humble and admitting there are other solutions once considering other peoples opinions... maybe you should try that sometime.

Actually if you banned both the total amount of lives and NHS money saved would be a tremendous amount.

The Govt could then use it to equip the troops so that they have superior equipment which again

would save more lives.

Actually it would be better if we banned alcohol, then us bikers and the idiot smokers could injure ourselves willy and indeed nilly.

Actually if you banned both the total amount of lives and NHS money saved would be a tremendous amount.

The Govt could then use it to equip the troops so that they have superior equipment which again

would save more lives.

funniest post of the year award contender!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Baj = humble ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I'll have you know our Baj is very humble; and he has many reasons to be so...:D

The exhaust has been damaged. It might only be scratches but it has affected the appearance and if the only way of resolving is by replacement then it is fair to accept the money and wait to replace when it is convenient to you.

Remember though that she only has to pay for a replacement taking into account wear and tear on the item, not it's new price. To get a replacement as new you will need to go through your own insurance.

As a retired Claims Manager with Norwich Union I hope this helps and puts an end to some of the previous comments.

Yes, it's called being humble and admitting there are other solutions once considering other peoples opinions... maybe you should try that sometime.

Awwww bless :)

I have absolutely no need whatsoever for being humble or having humility. Largely, this is because my opinion is always right :D

It's nice of you to offer though all the same.

would save more lives.

There would be no money to spend on troops, or equipment, or anything else for that matter, as all the money saved would need to go on pensions for all those people living longer.

Baj = humble ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:D

Yeah she offered that, so I said I'd get a quote and let her know. Nothing against me keeping the money and rubbing the paint off I assume?

So the right thing for you to do is to replace it if she does pay up, and not pocket the cash like you first said - is that about right?

I crashed into the back of someone for the third time this year on Friday in Devon. I can't believe how lovely all the people are down there. I crashed into a brand new 2009 Vauxhall Astra and she rolled forward into a 2008 Audi A8. The guy at the front leapt out and looked at the back of his car and said don't worry mate, you're young. I did the same when I was your age (didn't know this was my third time.) There's only a bit of a mark so don't worry about it. He got back in his car and was gone in 10 seconds! The woman pulled over to the side of the road and we had a chat. She said because she was disabled it was a lease car so she would have to report it, but she said that she certainly wasn't going to push to have anything done. I cracked the top of her numberplate a bit. I was so lucky! I'll definitely try and leave bigger gaps. I guess it pays to be gorgeous and probably the nicest, most diplomatic and talented person in the world.

When I say how lovely everyone is, I don't base that on that single experience. People in the shops were really nice and helpful. Exeter was really nice and well kept. People in the pubs just started talking to you and were really interested about life back home and were just really nice. I stayed in bed and breakfast and was treated like royalty for £30. I shall definitely be moving there when I retire!

Have to say that I've always called what Keithd and Baj refer to as The Can as a Silencer. Mainly because that's what they're actually called even if they don't silence the exhaust completely.

In motorcycling, probably more so than in cars, due to the nut & bolty nature of bikes, there has always been a certain tension in what people call the various parts.

For example, in GB one calls it the Silencer, but it's called the Muffler or Can in the USA. There are Footrests [GB] and Footpegs [uSA] and all manner of other differences like Throttle [GB] and Gas [uSA]. You can, kind of, tell from which era a motorbike rider comes by the way he/she refers to the parts. Of course, people blur the differences using the GB for one part and the USA for another.

One notable person, who has a huge collection of bikes [and cars], and is extremely knowledgable is Jay Leno, the comedian/chat show host. He often names motorcycle parts the GB way, I think because of his deep love of old British bikes like Vincents, BSAs and Triumphs. It's quite a laugh to hear him reel off a story of a particular British bike from the past and know that the little ancient anecdote he's telling is 100% correct.