Phillip Island - The Australian MotoGP

St Landrew

Casey Stoner came back with a bang, last time out at Estoril, by coming second after 3 races out with his mystery illness. Doctors apparently still don't really know what was wrong with him. Whatever it was, it wasn't there in Portugal, as he was almost fast enough to catch the super fast Lorenzo. But coming out of a corner, where he overtook Pedrosa, to take second, he broke his right footrest, and thereafter it kept waggling around, not to be trusted anymore.

Rossi really struggled with his setup, and it was testament to his skill that he managed to bring it in a reasonable 4th. What it means though is that we go into the last 3 races with Lorenzo only a very catch-up-able 18 points behind, when before the last race, he was 30 points behind. There are real points incentives to winning in MotoGP, something that other racing sports could well adopt IMO.

But onto Phillip Island, and one of the favourites of all the riders. I expect JT to do pretty well here, despite losing his seat to Ben Spies next season, and it should give him some evidence to suggest that Yamaha should have stuck with him for one more season. Of course, now I've said that, he'll go and fluff it.

But the real race is between the factory Yamahas, and will Casey Stoner get amongst them or beat them. Either way, if he can, and I honestly expect him to be able to, as it's his home race, and he's won here the last two times, it'll mean the Championship will go to the next race at Sepang, probably closer than ever. And we mustn't leave out Pedrosa to get in there, although I expect him to come 4th. For me it'll be 1. Stoner, 2. Rossi, 3. Lorenzo. The nightmare scenario is if anyone falls off.

In the 250s, Simoncelli has given himself a whisker of a chance to defend his title, but Aoyama can close his fingers on the trophy. In the 125s, Simon just needs to finish ahead of Bradley Smith, and the title will be his. I expect the experienced leader to do so, but Bradley has given a brilliant account of himself, and I expect him to be on the big bikes, and a potential World Champion MotoGP rider in just a few seasons time.

How's that for a pretty track:

phillip-island-gp-circuit.jpg

Being Australia, free practice was earlier, so qualifying should be in the early hours of tomorrow morning [sat] with the event racing coverage starting around 3am on Sunday, with the 125s. IMO, an excuse for a very late Saturday night, and to get a few extra beers in, if ever there was one.

Edited by St Landrew

Qualifying was eventful. But things almost went to plan. Just Pedrosa got on the front row instead of 4th, and second row. No doubt, he'll go off like a scalded cat, and be caught by the two in front of him, then eventually passed by Lorenzo. Oops, I've just summed up tomorrow's race before it happens. We'll see. The weather is iffy, to say the least.

1. Stoner

2. Rossi

3. Pedrosa

4. Lorenzo

5. Edwards

6. De Angelis

7. Hayden

8. De Puniet

9. Kallio

10. Dovizioso

11. Elias

12. Toseland

13. Capirossi

14. Melandri

15. Vermeulen

16, Talmacsi

Stoner won, Rossi 2nd and Lorenzo didn't even finish in points.

Yeah, I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, having watched the 125s LIVE, so I've just watched my recording. Not a snore-fest, but perhaps one for the purist, as Stoner and Rossi were getting their bikes sideways out of Siberia corner.

Highlights for me, were Lorenzo binning it on the very first corner, taking Hayden with him, although Nicky recovered; but it means Vale's hold on the Championship becomes that bit tighter now. Typically at Phillip Island, the big bikes do get strung out, so apart from the duel between Rossi and Stoner, the next bit of action going on way behind was for 4th place with something like 7 riders all in the space of about 5 bike lengths. JT was at the back of that lot, and then got signalled for a ride-through. Something about which he was extremely peeved about. De Angelis nearly ran himself and the man with the chequered flag off the track with his 4th place celebrations, but thankfully, no seagulls were hit, like Melandri did in practice. That was nasty.

That was about it. The 125cc race was brilliant, and I've yet to watch the 250s, but I hear that was superb too, so looking forward to that. If you're utterly bored waiting for F1, they are both on the Red Button until race starts. Should get you into the right mood.