FM 2010 hints, tips, cheats & gems of players / tactics

SO16_Saint

Not sure if there is normally a thread like this, or whether it's ethical / the done thing - but how about having a list of players that you've picked up on a free / cheap that have turned out to be good value or if you've found any tactics that have worked a treat etc etc.

I remmeber back in Champy 2 Cherno Samba was absolutely fantastic.

Lets have one for FM2010 from Friday....

Samba, Palermo, Kennedy Bakircioglu, Kim Kallstrom, Peter Madsen, Mark Kerr, Leon Knight and Zlatan Muslimovic were absolute gods.

Was really funny seeing Bakircioglu playing for Ajax against Saints for real in the pre-season friendly.

Can't wait to play it now, not sure whether to go 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with Saints though?

i went 4-3-3 and have been storming the league so far. 5 matches in and im on -1 point.

Beat Millwall 5-0 on opening day :D, but lost to Cheltenham in cup :confused:

I'll probably go for something similar, have you had much success with that formation? Did you sell Lallana?

No, kept Lallana, but he's only a bit player. Schneiderlin and Hammond are keeping him out of the team! He's worth £2m at the moment though, so might flog him in January or at the end of the season if I can get a decent amount for him.

I think the formation's been successful, we'd be top of the league if it weren't for the points deduction, currently sitting 7th, looking peachy. Got a game in hand over Bristol Rovers as well!

As you can see, goals certainly aren't a problem, Tyson and Lambert work really well with each other, with Tyson getting 19 in 27 so far, and Lambert with 17 in 28. Play Lambert as a Deep Lying Forward or Target Man and get him to support, and then play Tyson as an Advanced Forward and you're going to score plenty of goals. Has anyone found the best way to play Saga yet? He seems to have little impact for me goalwise, but he usually pops up with a late assist when he comes off the bench for me.

116kuib.jpg

No, kept Lallana, but he's only a bit player. Schneiderlin and Hammond are keeping him out of the team! He's worth £2m at the moment though, so might flog him in January or at the end of the season if I can get a decent amount for him.

I think the formation's been successful, we'd be top of the league if it weren't for the points deduction, currently sitting 7th, looking peachy. Got a game in hand over Bristol Rovers as well!

As you can see, goals certainly aren't a problem, Tyson and Lambert work really well with each other, with Tyson getting 19 in 27 so far, and Lambert with 17 in 28. Play Lambert as a Deep Lying Forward or Target Man and get him to support, and then play Tyson as an Advanced Forward and you're going to score plenty of goals. Has anyone found the best way to play Saga yet? He seems to have little impact for me goalwise, but he usually pops up with a late assist when he comes off the bench for me.

116kuib.jpg

I took your advice on the formation, its been pretty successful so far, played 10, won 7, drew 2, lost 1. Got Neil Mellor for 95k, good buy so far.

I took your advice on the formation, its been pretty successful so far, played 10, won 7, drew 2, lost 1. Got Neil Mellor for 95k, good buy so far.

Glad to hear that, Neil Mellor is a good player, and certainly a good buy for 95k on the game. He's quite a similar player to Rickie Lambert though, and Rickie is a lot better I feel, so I didn't get Mellor in the end!

I've suffered a dip in form recently, losing on penalties to Southend in the League Cup and then getting beaten 3-1 by Dirty Leeds in the League has meant that we've now lost 2 of our last 3, and the board is on my back!

I signed Connolly on a free and he is absolutely amazing, but it is unbeleivable how many 1 on 1 chances we have had and him and rickie have missed them!! Also, can't score a penalty for s***!!

Another problem is that can't keep a clean sheet drew 4-4 with Walsall after leading 4 times and won the next two 4-3 v Brighton and someone else!! Really starting to annoy me but other than that very very good game

I'm using a combination of 433 and a really rigid defensive 442. Saganowski is the top scorer with 29 in 38 appearances! Followed by Lambert on 25 in 36. It's currently 2nd April and Saints are top of L1 on 78 points - scored 83 conceded 40. All going well.

Only brought in Gradel, Leandro, Darren Ward, with Tyson and LuaLua on loan.

Within the first day of joining I made some immediate tweaks putting Dave Puckett in charge of the Under 18's and putting all squads on a serve pre-season fitness and ball control regime. Decided I would stick with Pardews current 4-4-1-1 changing to a 4-4-2 to keep them guessing. Sent Ollie Lancashire out on loan to Bournemouth, Wotton followed him to Notts County with Jamie White going to Aldershot for the season.

Quickly snapped up Bobo Balde as a back up on terms of £500p/w for a year. Maxi Gradel then joined from Pearson's Leicester for a season loan with a future fee of £230k agreed.

Kelvin Davis was confirmed Saints captain with the vice-captaincy being rewarded to Dean Hammond.

Sold Marek Saganowski for £100k to Murica and then sealed the quadruple deals of Neil Mellor(Preston) £95k,Nathan Tyson(Nottingham Forrest) £300k, Michael Raynes(Stockport) £250k and Anthony Grant(Southend) £75k which all had the Saints fans in dreamland.

Sailed through pre-season winning all 5 away games at Eastleigh, Cheltenham, Totton, FC United and Bournemouth with confident performances.

Saints then hosted Scotland giants Rangers for the 'Ted Bates Trophy' which ended in a 1-1 draw resulting in the teams 'sharing' the trophy.

Feeling confident with the squad, Murty lost his place to Grant for the opening day due to carrying a knock while £million pound man Rickie Lambert spearheading the team.

Southampton 1-0 Millwall

Schneiderlin 34

League cup drew us at home to Cheltenham who Saints had beaten 4-0 pre-season.

Southampton 3-0 Cheltenham

Lambert 28

Hammond 49

Mellor 85

Huddersfield 2-2 Southampton

Lambert 29

Schneiderlin 75

found them very frustrating and very good.

Swindon 1-3 Southampton

Hammond 19

Scheniderlin 45

Lallana 81

Southampton 3-1 Brentford

Lambert 33

Hammond 34

Gradel 87

Finding things are going well on the footballing front Saints easily change to a fluid 4-4-2 with the Jaidi,Raynes,Trottman constantly giving me a selection headache. Hammond and Morgan are finding the net but tend to drift off in the last 20 and Lambert missing many one on ones resulting in a re direction in training. The win against Cheltenham resulted in Saints being drawn at St.Mary's against Premier League strugglers Bolton, a game we had a chance to shine in.

Bolton went to ten men after 6 minutes when ex Pompey player Matt Taylor was giving his marching orders for a tackle on Papa Waigo, Saints dominated but couldn't break the dead lock. It looked to be heading to extra time when an un marked Elmander scored from a Basham corner.

Southampton 0 - 1 Bolton

Matthew Taylor s/o 6

Stockport 1-1 Southampton

Lambert (pen) 58

MK Dons 1 - 4 Southampton

Decided a few changes was needed with Simon Gillet, Callum McNeish and Matt Paterson making starts.

Paterson 49 88

Gradel 54

Trottman 69

After impressing in the win over a strong MK Dons Patterson would start in the difficult trip up to the Valley where league leaders Charlton entertained Southampton.

Charlton 2 - 2 Southampton

Lambert 9

Patterson 75

With two games now at St Marys, I was looking to take full advantage and charge up the league, two keys players where lost to injury.

Southampton 4 - 4 Colchester

Lambert 9,21,56,84

Southampton 3 - 0 Yeovil

Lambert 44 48

Tyson 59

Dissapointed with conceding a late equaliser to Colchester but becomming very impressed with Gradel and especially Lambert who is now league top goalscorer with 10 goals in 8 matches.

Would be sitting top of the league on goal difference, now drawn at home to Aldershot in the JPT Trophy.

Things have taken a turn for the worse at SMS. Our form has been very sketchy of late, very inconsistent, and we're losing games we should be winning. Also, we got thrashed 8-1 by West Ham in the FA Cup 5th Round. Eek.

Job Security: Insecure. Doubt i'll last much longer, which is a shame because i've got Amr Zaki coming in June on a free and 2 Irish regens with premiership potential coming in from St Pat's Athletic too!

Don't sell Saganowski, he's fantastic! He scored 35 in 43 appearances for me in the first season. Top scorer in the league and voted fans player of the year. In season 2 he's doing OK having scored 4 in 7.

I'm surprised how good Saints are this time around, usually MLG is a little too honest about our players.

Don't sell Saganowski, he's fantastic! He scored 35 in 43 appearances for me in the first season. Top scorer in the league and voted fans player of the year. In season 2 he's doing OK having scored 4 in 7.

I'm surprised how good Saints are this time around, usually MLG is a little too honest about our players.

Kelvin's kicking is 7, I'd say that was brutally honest!

Whats the deal with transfer budgets with Markus in this then? Matt Le God might want to give us a little insight into what Markus might be doing for us in season 2 and onwards...

So far for me, I've signed Simeon Jackson and Kiki Muzino and i'm mid table in december. I have 2 games in hand though and if I win i'll be in or around the play offs.

Doing pretty well. Jackson is superb with Lambert and Papa in a 433. Not too sure where/if anywhere I need to stregthen in January.

A couple of good cheap players i have picked up for saints so far include:

Jonatan Cristaldo (from a south american club - Velez i think) about 20yo, got him on loan for 500k upfront, 1M in future and has scored plenty of goals

Wael Gomaa - Egyptian CB - get for around 100k at start of game - is 33yo but with him and Jaidi we completely dominate in the air almost every game

As on of the ss above, Omozusi is a good RB (Better than murty) and i also got a young(ish) LB from Tel Aviv (Name bypasses me atm but there are only a few available players from there anyway) - a very good, cheap singing who will go onto bigger things.

Been ok - currently sitting 9th, but would be 4th or so w/out -10. However, keep being described as under-achieving and have also seen a report saying i " only have 2 games to save job" or something very similar, which is a little frustrating (although out of all cups so maybe something to do with this - oh well

hth

Anyone know how to get the best out of Lambert? I'm at the end of December and he still hasn't scored from open play! He was injured for a month, but I've given him plenty of starts as a target man once he came back. Just two penalties from Lambert so far, good thing Saga and Mellor (95k bargain) are scoring.

Anyone know how to get the best out of Lambert? I'm at the end of December and he still hasn't scored from open play! He was injured for a month, but I've given him plenty of starts as a target man once he came back. Just two penalties from Lambert so far, good thing Saga and Mellor (95k bargain) are scoring.

I play him up front, as a Target Man (support), with a nippy striker (Nathan Tyson in my case) and that seems to do the trick. 29 goals in 50 games this season, can't argue with that! Especially considering Tyson has got 32 in 49, just a shame about the defence!

I'm confused :S.

I thought Liebherr was a 'sugar daddy'.

Yet although we are not in debt, are top of the league and scoring goals for fun...he sold Fish to Boro for 1.5 million behind my back!!!

Yep there are now 3 types of sugar daddy where as in FM09 there was only one kind. Only Chelsea, Man City and Notts County have the splash the cash sugar daddy. Saints have a "background sugar daddy".

I will try and get this changed for the next data update however SI are likely to want to see us spend more cash in January to show as evidence that Saints warrant this kind of chairman long term.

Yep there are now 3 types of sugar daddy where as in FM09 there was only one kind. Only Chelsea, Man City and Notts County have the splash the cash sugar daddy. Saints have a "background sugar daddy".

I will try and get this changed for the next data update however SI are likely to want to see us spend more cash in January to show as evidence that Saints warrant this kind of chairman long term.

Fair enough atm imo.