Best Looking F1 Cars

Arizona

Nice sentiment StL, but I kinda like the stat that shows no driver fatalities in the last decade. The only decade since the World Championship began in 1950. Most of that is down to proper ****pits, safety cells and ridiculous balloon tyre technology.

They do look good on those crossplies though ;)

Yes, that's a real testament to modern safety. They did kill a couple of marshalls (Frenzen's rear wheel hitting a fire marshall at Monza '00 and a tyre from the Villeneurve/Ralf collision at Albert Park '01) came pretty close with Burti at Spa '01 aswell, not to mention Massa this year.

On another note Ponty, what do F1 teams do with all their old parts at the end of the season? Is there some place you can buy them? I've always fancied a rear wing or something in my living room. There's a guy selling an RB3 in it's component parts on eBay, but that's all I've seen.

Yes, that's a real testament to modern safety. They did kill a couple of marshalls (Frenzen's rear wheel hitting a fire marshall at Monza '00 and a tyre from the Villeneurve/Ralf collision at Albert Park '01) came pretty close with Burti at Spa '01 aswell, not to mention Massa this year.

On another note Ponty, what do F1 teams do with all their old parts at the end of the season? Is there some place you can buy them? I've always fancied a rear wing or something in my living room. There's a guy selling an RB3 in it's component parts on eBay, but that's all I've seen.

Toyota were selling shedloads of stuff on their website (even before they pulled the plug) and dirt cheap too. We tend to keep a lot as spares (we run showcars at the World Series by Renault and at the Renault Roadshows) plus we sell parts to collectors who've previously bought mocked-up or running F1 cars.

Here's some Toyota stuff... http://www.toyota-f1-shop.com/home/b2c_tmg/b2c/display/(isQuery=no&layout=6_1_60_49_5_2&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000026)/.do

Nice sentiment StL, but I kinda like the stat that shows no driver fatalities in the last decade. The only decade since the World Championship began in 1950. Most of that is down to proper ****pits, safety cells and ridiculous balloon tyre technology.

They do look good on those crossplies though ;)

Oh crikey, of course. I'm just going on looks alone though, as the thread title suggests.

One minor alteration Colin.

Lotus_97T.jpg

The JPS livery was always a bit special, but it just looked better to me on the 79. My second favourite Lotus Livery:

jhsilv92.jpg

And Tragic though it no doubt was, the 1994 Simtek did look a very well presented machine.

Poor Roland.

A classic one now, the Eagle Weslake

67mex11.jpg

And it may have looked a bit busy, but something about the 1995 Jordan just looked right to me.

1995_jordan_peugeot.jpg

And finally, I believe this to be the most perfectly proportioned F1 car of all time, the livery is a bit dull and used on many other cars, but close up, there isn't one angle that this car doesn't look good from. (Well, until they stuck barge boards onto it later in the season)

2902629120_b5e2b17cf9.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand finally. This car was a dog that nearly wrote off a massive name in motorsport. But the problem was also the only thing that gave the car any merit, the mastercard sponsorship that fast-tracked the team into oblivion also gave them a pretty sweet bold (if again, busy) livery.

lola-ford_t97-30_2003.jpg

Edited by Colinjb

Whilst looking for the previous one, I found this achingly pretty little 1.5ltr Auto Union [Audi, to you and me] from 1940, which for obvious reasons, never raced properly. Notice the Ferrari from the similar era. The wind tunnel tested German cars were so advanced it was incredible:

11w9dv6.jpg

This one is in Donington Park racing museum.

Edited by St Landrew

Odd spelling error on the iPod, sorry!

Audi were part of the 4 original manufacturer that formed Auto Union (Audi being the Latin version of the owners name, Horch I think - I might be wrong as it's been a few years since I read up on it). VW got the Audi when they purchased Daimler-Benz iirc and proceded to bring the marque back to life.

Odd spelling error on the iPod, sorry!

Audi were part of the 4 original manufacturer that formed Auto Union (Audi being the Latin version of the owners name, Horch I think - I might be wrong as it's been a few years since I read up on it). VW got the Audi when they purchased Daimler-Benz iirc and proceded to bring the marque back to life.

Well I nearly mentioned the 4 manufacturers, hence the 4 circles and the name, but I couldn't be bothered, mate. Of course, you're correct [for others reading this bit].

BTW, isn't about time we made a stink about being just plain and simple moderators..? What happened to us being a bit super, eh..? :)

Well I nearly mentioned the 4 manufacturers, hence the 4 circles and the name, but I couldn't be bothered, mate. Of course, you're correct [for others reading this bit].

BTW, isn't about time we made a stink about being just plain and simple moderators..? What happened to us being a bit super, eh..? :)

Sorry I thought you were labouring under the terrible Auto Union Deutsche International backronym that I've heard so many times over the years!

Notice how Im "simples" now too... Baj trying to be funny ;)

Sorry I thought you were labouring under the terrible Auto Union Deutsche International backronym that I've heard so many times over the years!

Notice how Im "simples" now too... Baj trying to be funny ;)

Must admit, I did think that when I first got my Audi, and looked into the history. Was surprised that it was all that Horch, Audi, Wanderer, DKW thing.

Yes, I have noticed, for a long while, the added s on your title. I think we should be s for super again.

What say you, strike action..? Everybody OUT..! :)