Best option for £1500

Barfy

The Mrs' car has just been written off by a very thoughtful lorry driver, and the insurance company have settled on a payment of £1500 after excess. There is the possibility of an injury claim, but as the lorry driver was Polish we've been advised that it could take up to 6 months to verify liabilty (even though two policemen witnessed the accident, and considered chatging him for driving without due care and attention).

So basically we've got £1500 plus a little bit more if needed to get her a new car. She wanted another Skoda to replace the one she lost, but there's nothing much in that price bracket.

What would the assembled motoring experts of this forum suggest in this price range? I suggested a Peugot 206...

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately it seems she has set her heart on a 51-plate grey Laguna.

I never, ever thought I would hear or read that sentence! :(

No No No No No!

Seriously NO!

Both myself and my mate have had a 51 plate and an 02 plate Laguna and they are TERRIBLE!

Nice cars to look at and nice to drive but absolute money pits. The electrics are flaky as hell snd VERY expensive to sort out. I thought xenon lights, keyless ignition, tyre pressure sensors, electric windows and electric mirrors were all great... until they started to go wrong, one by one. You are talking hundreds of pounds a time to sort out these issues and they are common.

Then there's the gear box. Both of us had to replace the gear boxes in our cars when they mysteriously starting losing gears, agin, very costly. Unless you're a mechanic you're looking at 4 figures, even with a reconditioned box.

If you know what's good for you, DON'T DO IT!

If you're looking at this size of car go for one of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-Vauxhall-Vectra-SRi-Silver_W0QQitemZ390072040871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item5ad21afda7

They receive a bad press but we're on our 4th one now and we have never had to spend a penny on any of them other than normal running costs on consumables. It's nice to drive, quick (we've got an SRi 150 at the mo'), nice to look at (in my opinion) and parts are cheap as well.

Our latest one is a 2002, 51 plate SRi 150 with full history and low mileage and cost us £1250.

Yeah, avoid the early 2000's Lagunas. Really bad. Also avoid the Megane II before the facelift version in 05'. Same reason.

or more straight forward, avoid renaults full stop! :smt082

Thankfully we've got away from the Laguna :) though it is probably going to cost me more than the initial insurance settlement, though there should be a personal injury payout when they can find a lawyer who speaks Polish!.

We're now onto, amongst other things, Vectras. I'm sure I'm happy about that yet, but it's not a Renault Laguna!

• 3 weeks later...

It always pays to invest in quality , if you want something that will last any decent typical Japanese designed Nissan/Honda/Toyota ... etc are unlikly to let you down and a much better bet than a chronically unreliable Renault Laguna or some rubbish Vauxhall . Another route is to do what I have and get yourself a old Volvo 850 or V70 wagon - 7 seat versatility and 150,000 miles counts as nicely run in .

Thankfully we've got away from the Laguna :) though it is probably going to cost me more than the initial insurance settlement, though there should be a personal injury payout when they can find a lawyer who speaks Polish!.

We're now onto, amongst other things, Vectras. I'm sure I'm happy about that yet, but it's not a Renault Laguna!

Don't knock the Vectra. Like I said earlier we've had 4 (from a 96 'N' to a 2002 '51') and all have been totally 100% reliable. You'll get an immaculate 2001/02 SRi with low miles and full service history for well within your budget.