The Phenomenon of 'ladies' cars

Nineteen Canteen

Listening to Hamster talk about his car it got me thinking to what constitutes a Ladies car and are these cars born ladies car or do they evolve over time. For instance if VW sell a car with an optional plastic sunflower for the dasboard cupholder they I think they intended from the start to make the Beetle a 'girlie' car. However, when Suzuki started making 4x4's I think they genuinely wanted to appeal to the mass market but made them so effeminate in thier mud loving capabilities they appealed to women as accessible non-masculine machines.

Then we have the shopping trolleys of choice of the 'older biddies' who seem to require lots of head room and don't care about looks so any 1 litre highsided mongrel offspring born from the marriage a small hatchback and the popemobile and you have their vehicle of choice. For example the Vauxhall Agilia and Toyota Yaris Estate, yes estate - I am not making it up.

So off the top of my head and not thinking to much about current or past models here is my list of ladies cars.

All Minis (except the JCW)

All BMW 1 series

All Audi 3 series

Mercedes SLK

Mercedes CLK convertible

Mazda MX5

Vauxhall Agilia

All Suzuki 4x4 - especially those with the playboy symbol on the spare wheel cover

MGF

Toyota Yaris

Volvo XC90 - the staple of the school run

All Saab covertibles - especially in yellow ;)

VW Beetle

Ford Ka

Volvo C70

Vauxhall Tigra

All Fiat 500

Ford Focus CC

BMW 3 series convertible

All Peugeot 20x

Nissan Micra

Renault Clio

Honda Jazz

and finally the Bentley GTC simply because what Bentley allowed Stephen Ireland to do to one of their car to please his girlfriend will come back and haunt. Officially, the stereotypical WAGs mode of transport and proof that money can you but everything except love and good taste.

I'm surprised Bentley weren't asked to put ankle chains around the wheel arches it wouldn't have looked out of place.

Any macho men out there driving around in these cars or women to prove my theory. Would any of you be happy to own any of the above or more importantly have I missed any off as I'm worried about my own mode of transport. My Wife has a Mini convertible and I only drive it after dark with the heated seats on - just like real men.

I have conducted extensive research on this matter and this afternoon on a trip to Essex I tested my theory by recklessly peering into cars that I overtook in 70mph winds and driving rain to confirm the sex of the driver. It wasn't always easy to tell so assumed in these instances it was a woman in all cars that supported my theory otherwise I pretended I hadn't noticed them.

Agree about the Mini. I actually quite like the look of the Mini & was everso sliiiiiiightly tempted when considering which new car I wanted a few months back. However - I never ever see a Mini being driven by a bloke (other than an elderly Quentin Crisp type) so decided against it.

I opted for the new Ford Fiesta instead. And - being a bloke - I didn't want an ordinary Fiesta - so I opted for the full "masculine" body kit (large rear spoiler, front & rear lower skirts & sports side skirts) as well as larger sporty alloys.

I will admit to owning one dodgy car in the past however - a Vauxhall Tigra - the original MkI type when they first came out! Sssh - we'll keep that quiet!

Pretty exhaustive list there and you've clearly given this more thought than many other posts on the motoring forum.

I would add the following:

Mercedes ML

Audi Q7 (taking over from the XC90)

Audi A4 Cabriolet

Audi A5 Cabriolet

911 Cabriolet

In fact most Cabriolets and 4x4's used for the school run.

Pretty exhaustive list there and you've clearly given this more thought than many other posts on the motoring forum.

I would add the following:

Mercedes ML

Audi Q7 (taking over from the XC90)

Audi A4 Cabriolet

Audi A5 Cabriolet

911 Cabriolet

In fact most Cabriolets and 4x4's used for the school run.

I agree with all the above but the issue of top down driving is an issue for us blokes who enjoy it and so have to resort to doing it after dark and in disguise. So here is a list of cabriolets circumstances permitting I would be happy to own.

BMW 6 Series and Z4 - titter not

Honda S2000

Jaguar XK - do you notice women just don't drive Jaguars apart from the x-type and who would drive those? I would need to buy a trilby and a smoking jacket though.

Mercedes SL

Lotus Elise

Caterham

Any 'classic' convertible from the 50's, 60's and 70's although things started to go awry towards the end of that decade. There is only one thing I like seeing dressed in rubber and it's not an MGB.

I was going to include the Aston Martins but when you buy an SL350 for half the money or even the SL500 and get £20k change from a budget for an Aston and avoid the footballer and his WAG image I think the Aston is the reserve of another class of driver all together. It's not a ladies car but is one with an image problem IMO.

Ribbo's Mister Two is on very dodgy ground but probably once was a ladies car but with time passing the Max Power mod types have got hold of them and they are now the reserve of the young 20 somethings and their chrome tailpipes.

(BTW the one thing is Girls Aloud which I suppose is 5 but still the perfect orgy?)

Some cars are born as ladies' cars, like the aforementioned Beetle, some evolve that way, like any Peugeot CC, and some are given the tag despite being some of the best driver's cars in the world, such as the MX5. Also, in some cases, such as the Clio, it's not as simple as blanketing the whole range under the same label. The Renaultsport versions are not exclusively ladies' cars and indeed have entire racing series dedicated to them - not really the hallmark of a woman's vehicle.

I could have a world of discussion about what constitutes a woman's car, why some shouldn't be on your list and why some that aren't should be but I'm on my phone and I've got a hangover. Maybe later.

I agree with all the above but the issue of top down driving is an issue for us blokes who enjoy it and so have to resort to doing it after dark and in disguise.

Is that what Targa's were designed for? Why don't they make Targa top cars anymore?

BMW 6 Series - that surprises me. This car epitomises all you hate about BMWs

Z4 - Fair play

Honda S2000 - seriously good drive - probably one of the best roadsters

Jaguar XK - nice looking, but you need to be the wrong side of 50

Mercedes SL - Pam Ewing of Dallas fame, made the SL a women's car for me, however the newer offerings are more masculine

Lotus Elise - Great track day car

Caterham - see Lotus Elise

Any 'classic' convertible from the 50's, 60's and 70's although things started to go awry towards the end of that decade. TThere is only one thing I like seeing dressed in rubber and it's not an MGB.

These tend to be less of a masculine car and more of an enthusiast car in a train spotting kind of way.

I was going to include the Aston Martins but when you buy an SL350 for half the money or even the SL500 and get £20k change from a budget for an Aston and avoid the footballer and his WAG image I think the Aston is the reserve of another class of driver all together. It's not a ladies car but is one with an image problem IMO.

Aston is definately masculine, especially ones with partially blanked out number plates.

Ribbo's Mister Two is on very dodgy ground but probably once was a ladies car but with time passing the Max Power mod types have got hold of them and they are now the reserve of the young 20 somethings and their chrome tailpipes.

The MR2 is probably a rare car in that it has gone full circle. Masculine to Feminine back to Masculine. Something that the MX5 failed to do.

I do understand this male/female vehicle bias, being slightly choosy many years ago about these things. But I have to say that nowadays I don't give the slightest monkey's what car I drive as long as it gets me there and back ultra reliably.

And one day it may happen to you. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that every time I drive my sister's Toyota Yaris, I always think it's a stonking little car. I'd happily own one.

Edited by St Landrew

I do understand this male/female vehicle bias, being slightly choosy many years ago about these things. But I have to say that nowadays I don't give the slightest monkey's what car I drive as long as it gets me there and back ultra reliably.

And one day it may happen to you. ;)

A VW Beetle with a Sunflower form the options list? Come one St Landrew even you have a line not to cross.

Yes, to the 180bhp version, maybe to the 225bhp version but no to the 3.2 V6, 4WD version. Whether you think they're too "pretty" to be a man's car is another thing.

I agree Ponty and when I composed my list I was think the shopping trolley versions of a lot of these cars. I would happily own a clio sport for instance if it wasn't impractical for my needs but an entry level Clio?

Its like the Mini but even the Cooper S seems to be driven by women of the middle manager / estate agent type and that is a very quick and nimble car. However, the John Cooper Works with its stripped out interior and roll bars instead of back seats then again a great car for a blokey bloke to own.

Be interesting to discuss a car you would absolutely never own even if it was free and free of pereceived 'ladies car'.

Perouda Kenari has to be the top of the pile of which there is plenty underneath including the Ford Capri of the late nineties and noughties the BMW 3 series. I couldn't afford the hair gel and pink shirts to drive such a car not to mention the queue jumping mentality.

How about the Ford Fusion, anything called a SsangYong - personally I have a rule to avoid owning acrs I can't spell let alone pronounce.

A VW Beetle with a Sunflower form the options list? Come one St Landrew even you have a line not to cross.

Honestly NC, I really don't give a toss anymore. Cars are just A to B vehicles, as far as I'm concerned. They used to give me a thrill, as I did own a SAAB 900 Turbo back in 1990. But with so many cars on the road, one can barely go about without coming across a traffic jam, or a speed camera. It's all a bit sanitised and safe for my liking. my Fiat Tipo gets me about, and my bike gives me the thrills.

If that VW Beetle with Sunflower motif, was an old one, I'd quite fancy a drive of it. I still do like the rustle of the old air-cooled flat-4.

As long as it works, I don't care what I drive.

Is my Mazda 3 a 'girl's' car? It's probably the best value for money, reliable car I've ever had. As StL says above, if you're stuck in traffic most of your driving life (as I seem to be) what's the point of anything flash?

When I want a 'girl racer' rush, I drive Mr TF's Subaru ;)

As long as it works, I don't care what I drive.

Is my Mazda 3 a 'girl's' car? It's probably the best value for money, reliable car I've ever had. As StL says above, if you're stuck in traffic most of your driving life (as I seem to be) what's the point of anything flash?

When I want a 'girl racer' rush, I drive Mr TF's Subaru ;)

I do agree with you and St Landrew and I have to do a trip to Essex once or twice on a Friday evening via the M25 and I have vowed that my next car will definitely be an automatic. Sometimes I can be stuck on that road for 6 hours or a more on a round trip that should take no more than 4.

St Landrew I wasn't talking about the old VW Beetle unfortunately and it's not a motif but an actual plastic flower for the dashboard flower pot/cup holder.

Jaguar XK - do you notice women just don't drive Jaguars apart from the x-type and who would drive those? I would need to buy a trilby and a smoking jacket though.

Whilst passing a gorgeous red one last year in a queue on the M25, I was admiring the lovely paintwork and supple red leather when I realised that the woman driving it was looking right back at me. She looked the part, long wavy auburn hair, designer sunglasses and bright read lipstick, she had an air about her that reminded me of one of my favourite 'readers letters' from my formative years. All of a sudden I felt this searing pain in my ribs, accompanied by a 'keep your eyes on the road, you perv'.

That was the moment that I promised myself that one day I will own a red Jag XK (R or 8, the cheaper one) convertible. My dream car.

........I did own a SAAB 900 Turbo back in 1990.

A classic StL and another that I would have in my Lotto winners garage, but it would have to have the weight saving feature as per the one below. Hey Mr C, looky looky a Man's car, a SAAB and a ragtop to boot!

1.jpg

I defy anyone to not like that! If only they did them in a less manly colour though....

;)

I challenge anyone to find a more girly car than one of these?

car_photo_210458_7.jpg

What's that thing Andrew Marr drives on the introduction to his Sunday show? I saw one of those a while back in pink with a white roof. Unfortunately, it was parked up but I think we can assume the driver would not be wearing a sensible pair of brogues.

I always thought a pink Suzuki SJ40 with a white soft top and Playboy wheel cover was the ultmiate accessory for any blonde bimbo. Perhaps SOB this is the modern day version. Truly hideous.

A classic StL and another that I would have in my Lotto winners garage, but it would have to have the weight saving feature as per the one below. Hey Mr C, looky looky a Man's car, a SAAB and a ragtop to boot!

1.jpg

I defy anyone to not like that! If only they did them in a less manly colour though....

;)

Must admit it's got Beyonce like proportions at the back. I enjoyed the Jaguar story, Hamster and you clearly enjoy some leather upholstery. I even felt the dig in the ribs and blurted out a defensive and none to convincing - 'what'. If you get caught again simply say that no matter how hard you look you cannot find anyone who matches her although the woman in the Jag was great, you could tell by her well manicured hands she was no great shakes in the kitchen and you need an all rounder. Usually works for me and is often followed on average by about 36 hours of silence.

I challenge anyone to find a more girly car than one of these?

car_photo_210458_7.jpg

pink_figaro_1.jpg

Next.

And very concerningly, 'we' were considering a Figaro when the Saab came to my rescue. I even test drove a powder blue one with those wobbly balls on chrome sticks to aid parking.