Im after a CHEAP car...

Marsdinho

Just passed my driving test (at the ripe old age of 33) and I'm in need of a cheap run around.

If anyone hear's / see's anything, can you let me know.

Obviously, the insurance is going to be the main factor in deciding what car to have, so it will have to be a low group.

Looking to spend no more than £500.

Cheers

F*ck yeah.....

Although, it now means that I will be borrowing her car for the odd away match here and there. Not sure she is going to be happy with the blood of away fans smeared across the bumper....

Gave Mrs Mars and Ms Stephens a lift on Friday night, they were both too p1ssed to notice that I reversed into a bollard...

TBH mate, at that price you're literally taking a punt and hoping it pays off. Your best bet is to cast aside any preconceptions about particular marques and models and look for something that has a 'new' mot and 12 months tax etc. That way, you should *touch wood* stand the greatest chance of the thing lasting the 12 months. Service history is your friend as well, since you'll inevitably be dealing with old, high mieage cars and you'll want to make sure they've been looked after.

The best bet is to get on autotrader and see what's available for £500 or less in and around Southampton.

Finally, because the budget is really tight, I'd say avoid traders altogether and go private. You stand the best chance of getting something worth having. There's no profit left in a £500 transaction for a dealer unless they paid peanuts for the car, and if they paid peanuts for the car you know it's really crap.

All good advice, sotonjoe. The only thing I'd add is to ask around your family and friends if they know of any cars going cheap. Knowing something about the actual history of the car is even more valuable than it having a service history.

All good advice, sotonjoe. The only thing I'd add is to ask around your family and friends if they know of any cars going cheap. Knowing something about the actual history of the car is even more valuable than it having a service history.

yep and if anybody has looked at what's on autotrader recently for £500, you'll know that you might want to think about getting a vehicle below market value from a friend etc.

Nothing to do with me, found it after a quick scout on eBay. Usually reliable cars and ideal first car to bash up before getting a nice car. oh and insurance should be manageable. Only downside is the short MOT.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-PEUGEOT-106-GRADUATE-WHITE_W0QQitemZ290373124395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item439b96412b#ht_500wt_1182