360 graphics failiure

gaz

OK, OK, I know it wasn't totally unexpected given the track record of the 360 hardware failiure rates, but I came today to play on my 360 Premium, and I'm having a slight....issue.

Stick in game (COD 4), boot it all up, dashboard is fine, loading screens fine, get into a match fine online (team deathmatch). All is OK for the first minute of play, rack up a few kills quickly (I'm pretty handy)....then all of a sudden the screen starts displaying what I can best describe as ''Matrix-style'' tiny black squares on any texture that's dark. Walls, players, shadows etc. It was nearly impossible to see inside the buildings on Pipeline.

I've wiggled every connection on the telly in a vain attempt to fix it, but its still there, and the issue gets worse and worse over the course of the match, like I'm playing in a hazy snowstorm.

I thought it might have been a problem with COD4, but nope, Battlefield Bad Company produces a green version of the problem.

If I sit down and think about it, its only when the 360 is displaying 3D graphics (loading screens, menu/dashboard is OK), and gets worse the longer the 3D graphics are displayed, so would you say its that problem of the graphics chip heating up and flexing, breaking the solder joints?

At this point, I haven't got any red rings lit, so I'm a little confused (all mentions of graphics hardware failiure online mentions red rings). If it helps, its a Falcon model, manufactured last September.

OK, OK, I know it wasn't totally unexpected given the track record of the 360 hardware failiure rates, but I came today to play on my 360 Premium, and I'm having a slight....issue.

Stick in game (COD 4), boot it all up, dashboard is fine, loading screens fine, get into a match fine online (team deathmatch). All is OK for the first minute of play, rack up a few kills quickly (I'm pretty handy)....then all of a sudden the screen starts displaying what I can best describe as ''Matrix-style'' tiny black squares on any texture that's dark. Walls, players, shadows etc. It was nearly impossible to see inside the buildings on Pipeline.

I've wiggled every connection on the telly in a vain attempt to fix it, but its still there, and the issue gets worse and worse over the course of the match, like I'm playing in a hazy snowstorm.

I thought it might have been a problem with COD4, but nope, Battlefield Bad Company produces a green version of the problem.

If I sit down and think about it, its only when the 360 is displaying 3D graphics (loading screens, menu/dashboard is OK), and gets worse the longer the 3D graphics are displayed, so would you say its that problem of the graphics chip heating up and flexing, breaking the solder joints?

At this point, I haven't got any red rings lit, so I'm a little confused (all mentions of graphics hardware failiure online mentions red rings). If it helps, its a Falcon model, manufactured last September.

It will still be under warranty. Give Microsoft a call.

Just dug out the reciept, I got it in August 2007, so its outside the one year warranty (and doesn't have any red lights lit, so no 3 year warranty against that...).

Good job the Arcade is dropped today to £130!

Edited by gaz

Just dug out the reciept and the original box, I got it on September 3rd 2007, so its outside the one year warranty (and doesn't have any red lights lit, so no 3 year warranty against that...).

Good job the Arcade is dropped today to £130!

I'd send it back to them saying it is displaying the 3 red lights.

My friend had a similar problem to you - sent it back saying it had the 3 red lights and they sorted it.

Your problem could be intermittent.

this is what my friend did. His disc drive was broken, and he was out of the initial one year warrenty so he would have to pay to have fixed. so he wrapped the xbox in towels blocking all the vents and left it for a few hours, eventually it got the RROD and as the RROD error has a 3 year warranty on it he got a new (refurbished) one sent.