Classic Games

Red Alert

I was with a mate the other day and we started playing Sim City on the SNES. Brought back many many fond memories and is clearly the best Sim City of the series. Also played Donkey Kong 3, another great old game.

What games do you wish they would bring back to life, or be able to play again?

I would LOVE to see a version of Goldeneye with online multiplayer, keep the graphics levels all the same. Just let me play License to Kill as Oddjob slapping people to death :D

I agree with what Ponty said to an extent. A lot of people say that Tekken 2 was a quality game, but you try playing it now and it makes you want to cry, the graphics are f*cking awful.

However there are some games which will just be playable for the rest of time IMO.

I spent so long playing that game, absolutely quality! Shame my disc split in two when I accidentally sat on it one day, I never got to finish the game :(

Can we have a remaster/rerelease for all consoles please Sega? :D

Mate if you still have the amazing console thats the dreamcast, get it again and get shenmue 2!

Shenmue II also came out on the original Xbox, I found it in Gamestation a few years ago (4 for £20) and completed it (then sold it for £68!).

3D games from the Playstation/Saturn era have aged terribly, but 2D games look as lush as they ever did.

• 3 weeks later...

Road Rash & Road Rash II (Megadrive)

Rambo (C64)

Sensible Soccer (Megadrive)

Wipeout & Wipeout 2097 (Playstation)

There are loads more if I can be bothered to think about them.

And to Ponty I would say that although graphical capabilities are so much better now than ever before, and will obviously continue to improve, graphics aren't everything. It is ultimately how playable a game is that defines how good it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Megadrive:

Kid Chameleon

Sonic (pretty much any version)

Loved Golden Axe 2, but played it again recently and it seems it's one of those that should have stayed in the past :(

Spectrum

Operation Wolf

Sam Fox strip poker :smt081

Rock Star ate My Hamster

Manic Miner

PC:

Original Championship Manager

Sim City 4

And so many others that I just can't remember now :(

• 1 month later...
Arcanum (best rpg ever)

Fallout 1 & 2

Sin

Duke Nukem 3d

Super Mario

Donkey Kong

Metal Gear Solid

Morrowind

All oldish games with incredible replay value

Morrowind :D I have no idea how many hours I spent on that game. And Oblivion too. I am convinced that I am going to get a PC good enough to play Oblivion and I am going to add every mod I can find and lose another 100+ hours into that game. :smt060

Why do people look back so fondly on old games? By modern standards they were terrible.

Many modern games (dont get me wrong there are some cracking games out there now) are prone to the same pitfalls as modern films.

Technology simply gets in the way. All too concerned with fancy effects and explosions and ultimately lack content.

Lack depth, storyline and characters.

Many older games have a sense of fun and character due to the lack of technology available to makers, forcing them to look for other more novel ways to entice gamers.

A personal favourite is Kid Chameleon on the Sega Megadrive. Though to be fair I have been playing this for a while with the Emulator I downloaded. Have also recently discovered it's on the Sega Classics on the Xbox along with some other gems like Golden Axe, The Streets of Rage series, Echo the Dolphin and ofcourse the Sonic games.

Also worth noting you can also get copies of emulators for most consoles online now...So many of you can be reunited with your old forgotten favourites.