2010 British Grand Prix at Silverstone

Jimmy_D

Bernie Ecclestone is such a ruthless money grabbing little so and so I had feared he'd use Donnington's problems as an excuse to cancel the British GP and hold a extra (and very lucrative race) in the middle/far east - the news we've apparently been spared that fate is good news for Silverstone , the UK , and motorsport in general .

I still prefer Spa Francorchamps though from the spectator's point of view anyway .

Amen to that. Silverstone should be an automatic date on the F1 race diary, along with other classic circuits that are seen as 'under threat' from the poison dwarfs chopper!

Indeed, the FIA should step in and ring fence some of the classic European circuits as "must be included in the F1 GP Fixtures" races. Call them Gold Events or something.

Will be interesting to see if the redevolpment will still include the changes that Moto GP wanted when they left Donnington to go to Silverstone.I think some of the changes included different grandstand and viewing areas as well as Gravel traps being changed on certain corners.

I just have a feeling that although Silverstone couldn't wait to get hold of Moto GP when they lost F1 to Donnington,now they have what would of originally been their crown jewel event back any circuit changes will only be geared back towards F1.

I'm trying to think of other Far Eastern countries which would want to host a GP.

Saudi Arabia maybe. Can't think of many others though. I think a Russian or African Grand Prix would be the next additions to the Calendar. As long as we keep Silverstone, Spa and Monza, I'm happy. I think Imola is on the way back at some point in the next few years.

The bubble will burst on the Middle Eastern Grands Prix in the near future. Abu Dhabi's Yas Marinas circuit had to cancel the masters weekend planned for about now due to lack of sales. Also, despite the pronouncements at the time, they didn't sell out the 50,000 grandstand seats for the season finalé of the F1.

So, to date, they've had one weekend that failed to sell out and one they've had to cancel for poor interest. Combine that with the state of the economy in the region and I think we'll see fewer, not more, Grands Prix in the region.

1260216112.jpg

Believed to be the layout Silverstone wish to run F1 on next year. Same as the new Moto GP track.

Shame about losing Bridge, but otherwise looks a good idea, makes the complex a really good focal point.

Seen a few pics of that. Have to say other than losing Bridge I quite like it. Might add a couple more overtaking spots. I've read it was designed in Part by Damon and one of the Moto GP guys. Does look a little bit like Tilke's work though. Whilst his tracks are good on paper, they seem to lack any real soul. He could design a track with 10 overtaking spots, it still wouldn't excite me as much as Spa or Monza.

Sack that, Cadwell Park* FTW.

1007618_600.jpg

317451166_0f11eba42d_o.jpg

2817074975_46c97eb0be.jpg

*this post is not entirely serious....but a modern F1 around Cadwell? Wow... :)

Ah well, now you're talking. Cadwell Park is an absolutely cracking circuit. As is Oulton Park, Knockhill and various others. Isle Of Man anyone..? They're all wonderful cicuits, but they don't cut the mustard, safety or grandstand wise. But I entirely concur with your less than serious post. It would be excellent to see a Grand Prix at one of those old circuits.

Love the take-off in the first pic. He obviously tried too, and succeeded very well. In the second pic, the rider is trying NOT to take off. :)