MK Dons - JPT area final

Well, we might aswell get this thread under way then hadn't we!! :D

Just been looking at the trains, doable for £30 return each via London if travelling as group of 4 + 1 with rail card. Thats Southampton Central > Waterloo > Euston > MK Central.

The nearest train station to the ground is Bletchley which is £1.60 return from MK Central.

If anybody has any other ideas for the train from Southampton & its cheaper than the above please put it here!

£30 for fairly short notice isn't bad at all. What times the last train back?

Guess it's likely to be on the Tuesday but I'll hold off getting train tickets until it's confirmed.

Bletchley station is a 20 minutes walk from the ground according to the footballgroundguide.co.uk so guessing the game finishes at about 20 to 10 I've got the train times back something like this:

22.15 from Bletchley to MK Central arrives 22.21

22.41 from MK Central to London Euston 23.38

Then there is a train at either 00.05 or 01.05 back to Southampton. The tube from Euston takes approx 7 mins to Waterloo so the 00.05 is doable.

Btw I believe Euston also serves Bletchley so it may be possible to get a train direct from Bletchley to London. Obviously for drinking purposes it will be better to arrive at MK Central as I've read there are next to no pubs near the ground.

Edit - Just checked out the above & there is a train from Bletchley at 22.27 which goes directly to Euston without having to change at MK central, arrives in Euston at 23.25 so allows a bit more time to get the tube across to Waterloo for the 00.05 train. By buying a direct return from Euston to Bletchley though it works out at £54 each.

Edited by saints_is_the_south

Bletchley station is a 20 minutes walk from the ground according to the footballgroundguide.co.uk so guessing the game finishes at about 20 to 10 I've got the train times back something like this:

Then there is a train at either 00.05 or 01.05 back to Southampton. The tube from Euston takes approx 7 mins to Waterloo so the 00.05 is doable.

Btw I believe Euston also serves Bletchley so it may be possible to get a train direct from Bletchley to London. Obviously for drinking purposes it will be better to arrive at MK Central as I've read there are next to no pubs near the ground.

Edit - Just checked out the above & there is a train from Bletchley at 22.27 which goes directly to Euston without having to change at MK central, arrives in Euston at 23.25 so allows a bit more time to get the tube across to Waterloo for the 00.05 train. By buying a direct return from Euston to Bletchley though it works out at £54 each.

Also a train back from Bletchley to London at 22.09. Much better for a drink around Bletchley Station than MK Central in my opinion. Looking forward to this one.

Much better for a drink around Bletchley Station than MK Central in my opinion. Looking forward to this one.

Cheers - Never been to MK before so will probably give both a go, lunch time arrival to MK & then onto Bletchley about 5ish.

Anybody know if the away allocation rules are the same that apply for FA & League cup games ie 15% of the total capacity of the stadium. If so we'd be entitled to 3,300 tickets but i also read on the main board that Leeds took 4k there?

That train goes to Clapham junction, where you can get the Southampton train from and so avoiding using the underground, also the 12pm service from southamton stops there allowing you to catch the 13:38 to Bletchley arriving at 14:55. £39.70 return according to the trainline.com

That train goes to Clapham junction, where you can get the Southampton train from and so avoiding using the underground, also the 12pm service from southamton stops there allowing you to catch the 13:38 to Bletchley arriving at 14:55. £39.70 return according to the trainline.com

Clapham to Bletchley return on nationalrail is £8.90 each return for the times you mentioned above + £14.25 Soton to Clapham return = £23.15 each again based on 4 travelling with 1 rail card.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there are any local pubs to the ground?

From Football Ground Guide:

The nearest pub to the ground is the Beacon which is around a 10 minute walk away, in the nearby Mount Farm area. With the stadium entrance in front of you and Asda over to the right, then the pub is located on an industrial estate behind the stadium. From the back of the the stadium cross over the road and go down Dawson Road which is in front of you. At the bottom of Dawson Road turn right into Bond Street and the pub is down on the right, situated next to a small lake. Alan Burgess a visiting Sheffield Wednesday fan adds; 'Miss it' would definitely be my recommendation for The Beacon - the staff were very friendly and its modern, but totally devoid of character, beer in plastic glasses and a limited selection of plain food. If I ever drive to Milton Keynes I'll take my chances somewhere else.'

About a 15 minute walk away towards Bletchley is the Enigma Tavern on Saxon Street. This pub also offers food, has a large beer garden and is child friendly. To find this pub, just follow the signs for Bletchley by Asda and you will reach the pub on your left.

Guy Plumb adds; 'There is also Fenny Stratford which is located a mile south of the stadium along Watling Street. Fenny has seven pubs within a five minute walk of each other plus a fish and chip shop'. Caroline Charlesworth a visiting Leicester fan tells me; 'Many Leicester fans headed to Fenny Startford, as it is about a 20 minute walk from the ground and seems to be the better bet of all the areas round the ground after speaking to others who went elsewhere. We actually caught the train and got off at Fenny Stratford. There are a number of pubs but there are two in particular worth an extra mention. ‘The Swan Hotel’ is on the junction of Watling Street, Aylesbury Road and Simpson Road. It has a basic range of beers but they serve good value food on a match day. The menu is the usual Pub stuff of sandwiches and main meals and they also serve a fantastic Breakfast until 1.30pm. I also recommend ‘The Red Lion’ which is on Simpson Road. This is a lovely setting right on the Lock – be nice for those early and end of season days out as they have a decent size garden and plenty of room to stand around outside. To get to both pubs from Fenny Stratford station you need to turn left as you step off the train. Walk down to the level crossing and turn right for The Swan Hotel and left for The Red Lion. Both pubs are just a couple of minutes from the level crossing'.

Alternatively, it may be an idea instead to drink on the way or in Milton Keynes itself. There are a number of bars located adjacent to the main shopping centre, or in walking distance of Milton Keynes Central station. If coming out of the station you go straight up Midsummer Boulevard in front of you, then after around five minutes walk you will find a Wetherspoons outlet located on the left. Further up Midsummer Boulevard on the right is another Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Secklow Hundred', plus a 'Bar Med' and 'All Bar One'. These latter three pubs are about a ten minute walk away. Wayne Bowen a visiting Southend United fans adds; 'Alcohol was available to away fans, but a bit pricey at £3.20 for a bottle of Carlsberg and £3.20 for a can of Tetley. However, there were long queues at half time.'

Been checking out the trains again today & devised the following route.

Depart Southampton Central 12.00 arrive Clapham Junction 13.12

Depart Clapham Junction 13.38 arrive Bletchley 14.55

Coming back...

Depart Bletchley 21.17 arrive Clapham Junction 22.34

Depart Clapham Junction 22.46 arrive Southampton Central 00.15

Soton to Clapham leg is £14.25 return + Clapham to Bletchley £8.90 = £23.15 return each total based on 4 travelling (1 person with a rail card).

Asda is next to the stadium but I think they may have staff taking close interest on how long you are parked there without shopping. There are some industrial estates close by which apparently you can park in, I may have more info on this tomorrow.

Sorry if this is a silly question.

I was planning on driving straight up the A34 past Oxford and cut across through Buckingham. Just confirming my route with Google and it came up with the M3, M25, M1 route as being the shorter and quicker route.

I am guessing that the M3 and M25 are going to be chocka making it the worst route by miles?

Thoughts appreciated?

I was planning on driving straight up the A34 past Oxford and cut across through Buckingham. Just confirming my route with Google and it came up with the M3, M25, M1 route as being the shorter and quicker route.

I am guessing that the M3 and M25 are going to be chocka making it the worst route by miles?

Thoughts appreciated?

HTH ..... http://www.metacafe.com/watch/773285/harry_enfield_television_programme_you_didnt_wanna/

You didn't wanna!!

Edited by ericofarabia

Thoughts appreciated?

I was offered the M25 route from Taunton! I suppose they take the line that it's all motorway. I've studied the maps and will now come off the M4 at Swindon, head to Oxford and then, as you suggest, the most direct route is the A41/A421 via Buckingham to Bletchley/MK.

I was offered the M25 route from Taunton! I suppose they take the line that it's all motorway. I've studied the maps and will now come off the M4 at Swindon, head to Oxford and then, as you suggest, the most direct route is the A41/A421 via Buckingham to Bletchley/MK.

Have you used that road (Swindon - Oxford) before?

I am getting a lift on Wednesday and was going to go M4 to the A34, but spotted that road and wondered if it was any good? Seeing as you are planning to use it you must feel that it is the superior route. What time are you leaving Taunton?