Whats the best console?

saint lard

Had my first go on a Xbox 360 yesterday,i was bloody impressed.

Had a go at Halo,Call of duty and Batman Arkum Asylum or something.

I think i want a games console again,not had one since the original Playstation,but i really don't know which is best.

If i'm honest i also took a peak at a wii and i was not as impressed as i was with the Xbox.

I have not had a bash on a playstation 3 however.

Probably best to wait for the January sales but if anyone know of any good deals that would be great.

So which console should i get in your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

I am an average gamer..dont play it all the time buthave a dabble now and then..

to me, the games on a PS3 and the XBOX 360 are the same...sure a few games are only available on one console..but not many as nearly all you can get on both systems

I went for a PS3 as it has a blu-ray player, the controls get charged rather than need batteries and the PS Network is free..

Sure someone will say that I could buy a battery pack for an XBOX controller and the cost of XBOX Live is offset due to the fact the console is cheaper...

but like I said, I am an average gamer and the convenience of it all (with the blu-ray) made me pay that little but more when I got mine..

Edited by Thedelldays

Xbox 360 is the way to go. Well under £200 will get you set up with games and everything plus there are still more titles being released on the Xbox than the PS3 and the back catalogue is far larger. Unless you're going to gather the family together every time you fire it up, ignore the Wii.

Xbox 360 is the way to go. Well under £200 will get you set up with games and everything plus there are still more titles being released on the Xbox than the PS3 and the back catalogue is far larger. Unless you're going to gather the family together every time you fire it up, ignore the Wii.

That's the impression i get, it is much more family orientated imo.

Think it depends on how much your wanting to spend really. I own all three and love them all in their own ways.

If you want cheap HD gaming then obviously a 360 is the way to go. You get one for about £99 in places. Which is £150 cheaper then the cheapest PS3.

The thing with the 360 is if you use the extras then they are there for you to choose. For example Wi Fi. The PS3 has this built in. That is great if your computer is miles away from your router. It saves having to put a **** load of wires all over the house. But most people have their router near their tv, so just a £2 ethernet cable would give you a better connection then the wireless one. There are lots of examples of this and it just boils down to what you intend to use it for, how much you plan to use it.

Blu-Ray is only on PS3, if you have an HD tv then watching these films can be a great experience. If you don't watch many films then again is a bit pointless. The same can be said for browsing the net. If you have a PC then your most likely use that for your browsing. But if you have a family who hog the pc then the PS3 gives you another way of doing it while avoiding arguments! Although if your a Facebook type person then you can use that on your 360. If you have Sky tv you can watch that on your 360 too.

So for me personally i use my PS3 for watching films and playing games. I use my 360 for playing games and playing online sometimes. Xbox live is a far more stable online experience then PSN. The downside to that is you have to pay a monthly subscription for it.....You still get all the demos and things without it just means you got to wait like a week extra to get them. Where as on PSN those things are instant.

The Wii is more of the **** about with friends console. It hardly ever get's used. Getting the new Super Mario game was the first one in a longtime.

All of the consoles have great games on them. Whatever your into your bound to find something your like.

So as i said i think it depends on how much you intend to use it and what you use it for that defines what is the best console. If you buy something for hundreds of pounds and only use 1 or 2 of the features then is a bit pointless. They are all fun and in my opinion are all worth the money now. They also have some amazing games coming next year.

Tbh,i will use it for playing games and that is about it.

I have a blue ray player,i use my laptop for surfing the net and stuff.

So i just want to park my backside down and play some games and and heve some escapism.

I suspect i will use it quite a bit,well i did my megadrive and my original playstation!

Thankyou so very much for all input and advice thus far given.

Think it depends on how much your wanting to spend really. I own all three and love them all in their own ways.

If you want cheap HD gaming then obviously a 360 is the way to go. You get one for about £99 in places. Which is £150 cheaper then the cheapest PS3.

The thing with the 360 is if you use the extras then they are there for you to choose. For example Wi Fi. The PS3 has this built in. That is great if your computer is miles away from your router. It saves having to put a **** load of wires all over the house. But most people have their router near their tv, so just a £2 ethernet cable would give you a better connection then the wireless one. There are lots of examples of this and it just boils down to what you intend to use it for, how much you plan to use it.

Blu-Ray is only on PS3, if you have an HD tv then watching these films can be a great experience. If you don't watch many films then again is a bit pointless. The same can be said for browsing the net. If you have a PC then your most likely use that for your browsing. But if you have a family who hog the pc then the PS3 gives you another way of doing it while avoiding arguments! Although if your a Facebook type person then you can use that on your 360. If you have Sky tv you can watch that on your 360 too.

So for me personally i use my PS3 for watching films and playing games. I use my 360 for playing games and playing online sometimes. Xbox live is a far more stable online experience then PSN. The downside to that is you have to pay a monthly subscription for it.....You still get all the demos and things without it just means you got to wait like a week extra to get them. Where as on PSN those things are instant.

The Wii is more of the **** about with friends console. It hardly ever get's used. Getting the new Super Mario game was the first one in a longtime.

All of the consoles have great games on them. Whatever your into your bound to find something your like.

So as i said i think it depends on how much you intend to use it and what you use it for that defines what is the best console. If you buy something for hundreds of pounds and only use 1 or 2 of the features then is a bit pointless. They are all fun and in my opinion are all worth the money now. They also have some amazing games coming next year.

I think thats the most fair and balanced opinion on 360 vs PS3 vs Wii I've read in a long time.

Best advice I can offer is, find out what games you want to play, then use that to pick a console. Most games I wanted to play were 360 exclusive (Forza, Race Pro, GTA 4 exclusive content at the time), so I went that route.

Edited by gaz

I have never ever seen a difference between PSN and Xbox live, so if this is the arguement to having to pay for the online service it is a sh*t one.

Also the Xbox is cheaper arguement is pretty much dead in the water, as to match the PS3 spec you need the Xbox elite and so there is about 40 quid in it, plus the fact that the Ps3 has Blu-Ray.

That being said has anyone actually released any true native 1080p games ??

I personally think Ps3 is the way to go, you pay one amount and that is all you need, plus i can name many of my mates that have made the switch over to Ps3.

That being said, i think it is really a question of which console the majority of your mates have, as mine have Ps3's, for online play i bought a sony, if they all had the xbox it would probably have been different.

I heart my Xbox 360. But the PS3 is just as much fun.

They share similar games, there are very few exclusives now, you can't go wrong with either. As for Blu ray, I had a player bundled in with my new Tele.

Edited by Colinjb

Think i must have cursed my PS3 by saying good things about it as it died yesterday :(

Was watching Transformers 2 on Blu Ray and about 20mins in the fan started to go mental, like a vacum cleaner being turned on. Then literally 2 seconds later a high pitch squealling noise coming from the disc drive, and then poof, dead PS3.

Ring up Sony and basically have to proove the PS3 is mine by giving out **** loads of details like receipt number (lucky i kept that) etc..

Firstly the guy tries to tell me it is my tv that is broken even though it is working fine with the other gadgets. Then say's it is the av cable even though i try to explain it is using hdmi output. Then say's i must have a warped blu ray disc even though it would not turn on...Was then told it was a busted hdmi cable, even though again i tried to explain was not turning on...Was then told it was the power cable. So ran to my brothers house, plugged his ps3 cables into my ps3 and again no joy. Re-rang Sony to explain it was not the cables. The guy then said i must of had something on top of it and it was not the ps3's fault, even though it has nothing on top of it, and never has. Basically was getting the impression i must have broken it, it could not have been just the ps3 dying.

I mentioned to him i had paid for an extended warrenty and wanted it fixed. Eventually they agreed to sending out someone to come pick it up and run for tests.

Now maybe i just had a 1 off experience but it was a total joke trying to get them to agree there could be a fault. Firstly they tried the "is it a legit bought ps3" angle. After producing the receipts,warrenty numbers they then talked about the ps3 itself. The whole conversation seemed they were told to try and not take the ps3 back at all costs. I have no doubt when it goes back they will just send it back saying it is my fault or not covered by warrenty etc..

I have had 2 360's break and that process was as simple as fook. I even got a free game and a controller out of it. The people on the phone did a few tests to try and see if it was not the 360, and then just ordered it to be send in. No need for receipts or stuff like that.

So maybe i just had an arsehole of a phone support guy and was a one off but getting them to even think about fixing it was a complete nightmare.

Think i must have cursed my PS3 by saying good things about it as it died yesterday :(

Was watching Transformers 2 on Blu Ray and about 20mins in the fan started to go mental, like a vacum cleaner being turned on. Then literally 2 seconds later a high pitch squealling noise coming from the disc drive, and then poof, dead PS3.

Ring up Sony and basically have to proove the PS3 is mine by giving out **** loads of details like receipt number (lucky i kept that) etc..

Firstly the guy tries to tell me it is my tv that is broken even though it is working fine with the other gadgets. Then say's it is the av cable even though i try to explain it is using hdmi output. Then say's i must have a warped blu ray disc even though it would not turn on...Was then told it was a busted hdmi cable, even though again i tried to explain was not turning on...Was then told it was the power cable. So ran to my brothers house, plugged his ps3 cables into my ps3 and again no joy. Re-rang Sony to explain it was not the cables. The guy then said i must of had something on top of it and it was not the ps3's fault, even though it has nothing on top of it, and never has. Basically was getting the impression i must have broken it, it could not have been just the ps3 dying.

I mentioned to him i had paid for an extended warrenty and wanted it fixed. Eventually they agreed to sending out someone to come pick it up and run for tests.

Now maybe i just had a 1 off experience but it was a total joke trying to get them to agree there could be a fault. Firstly they tried the "is it a legit bought ps3" angle. After producing the receipts,warrenty numbers they then talked about the ps3 itself. The whole conversation seemed they were told to try and not take the ps3 back at all costs. I have no doubt when it goes back they will just send it back saying it is my fault or not covered by warrenty etc..

I have had 2 360's break and that process was as simple as fook. I even got a free game and a controller out of it. The people on the phone did a few tests to try and see if it was not the 360, and then just ordered it to be send in. No need for receipts or stuff like that.

So maybe i just had an arsehole of a phone support guy and was a one off but getting them to even think about fixing it was a complete nightmare.

Could well of just been an arsehole phone support guy. After a year of owning my first PS3 one day it decided to just stop reading discs,searched on google and the like and found it'd happened to a few other people. Phoned up Sony and the guy said it was quite a common problem and they'd have it collected. A guy turned up the next day,took it away in a plastic box and it was returned within a week,been fine since.

yep, my xbox 360 died once out of warranty and I'm unsure whether it was the red ring fault covered under the extended warranty (I wasn't getting three red lights anyway). I just filled out an online form, received prepaid packaging and sent it in. It was back within a couple of weeks with no charge and no comment on what the nature of the fault was. Microsoft judge your right to free service by the serial number of the console so as long as you register at the time of purchase, you don't have any explaining to do later on.

Well,after purchasing my first couple of games i have to say i cannot put Assassins Creed down.

Bloody brilliant,ok im only a novice at this game playing mullarky and i'm sure there is better out there but i'm impressesd thus far.

I also purchased Gears of war which i'm just getting into.

What should i get next,i do want a racing a game such as formula1 and a footie game like Fifa 2010 perhaps.

Are they the best of those genres?

Also want a damn good golf game.

Well,after purchasing my first couple of games i have to say i cannot put Assassins Creed down.

Bloody brilliant,ok im only a novice at this game playing mullarky and i'm sure there is better out there but i'm impressesd thus far.

What should i get next,i do want a racing a game such as formula1 and a footie game like Fifa 2010 perhaps.

AC2 is amazing, and yes you should get FIFA. Bad call on the console though, you should have got a PS3 ;)

Remember to get Mass Effect, outstanding game.