scooters

sotonjoe

I'm thinking about getting a 125cc scooter, anyone here ride a scooter of some sort (16yr old 50cc riders need not apply)?

If so, how do you find it for the daily city run around? Having not read a bike before, am I going to be terrified / freezing, or is it a sensible way to go in terms of getting a cheap 2nd motor vehicle to run alongside a car?

I rode a scooter for a couple of years back in the mid 1970's. Even then, my Lambretta was a reliable and cheap form of transport, easily more than able to get through the traffic.

With the scooters of today, the experience has changed little except that it has probably got better. The modern scooter is an entirely sensible means of two wheeled transport, probably more so than a motorbike. As for being terrified, I've no doubt you were terrified the first time you got behind the wheel of a car. Have you ridden a pushbike before..?

Just to give you some encouragement. My niece, who never before took any risks, suddenly decided to pass her motorbike test, earlier this year. Now she rides her Honda 250 around nearly all the time, and the other day passed me down the dual carriageway doing a very naughty 100+ mph. She said she just wanted to get the, never done the ton, out of the way. Thing is, you get used to it. Within a few weeks you'll wonder why you left riding a scooter/motorbike for so long.

PS, get some decent clothing. You'll wonder at the cost of roadtax. The price is laughable [£15].

Edited by St Landrew

cheers.

Well the pirce is certainly something that keeps me coming back to it. I want something simple to get from a to b around town when the missus has taken the car out of town to visit family /friends and to get the 2miles or so to work.

Being into cars in a childish sort of way I'd want something really special if I were to buy a car, but I'm too tight to spend the £300 a month that would cost me on a finance deal. Spending £2k-£3k on a car is a pretty poor option in my opinion as that will possibly buy me a banger and a headache.

So the scooter comes into play. Aside from paying the Vespa premium, are there any other particular brands worth considering?

Cheers.

Can't comment on Scooter, as such, but I decided out of the blue to learn and get a motorbike, almost 2 years ago to the day actually. Best thing I ever did. I use my bike to and from work each day (would take me about 35 mins in rush hour, I do it in under 5) and its cheap as chips to run. I back up what St Landrew says on gear, make sure you're safe, and make sure you get some winter gloves!!!

Have you tried typing 125 Scooter into Google and seeing what kind of price you can pay for a new bike..? You'll be surprised.

Aside from that, Vespa aren't the only manufacturer. Now quite a few companies make scooters, as it is most definitely, a growing market.

See what I mean..? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scooter_manufacturers

For build quality, I doubt you'll do better than a Honda or maybe Yamaha, although the Italian Piaggio group, which includes Vespa, do make some sweet ones. Check out the Gilera range. They are pointing the way scooters could be going.

thanks guys ... i think i'll have a go at my cbt as a taster and then take it from there! Until I've done that I haven't really a clue what I'm looking for.

Am I right in saying that I'd be better avoiding the 2nd hand market seeing as I'm in no way capable of judging the condition of a bike for myself? With new prices being reasonable and depreciation being low compared to a car, surely it's a safe and easy bet to stick to buying new from a reputable dealer right?

How about NOT making your mind up about motorbikes until you've done your CBT..?

yeh maybe. But a colleague ( who has owned both bikes and scooters) did point out to me that I wouldn't be able to ride one wearing my suit trousers and whilst that probably isn't advised on a scooter, I'm hoping I'd have more chance of getting away with it. Unless you think it's equally mad.

yeh maybe. But a colleague ( who has owned both bikes and scooters) did point out to me that I wouldn't be able to ride one wearing my suit trousers and whilst that probably isn't advised on a scooter, I'm hoping I'd have more chance of getting away with it. Unless you think it's equally mad.

No, there's no doubt you can get away with that easier with a scooter. It's all that panel protection, that does it.

Today I had my thermals on, over my underpants. On top of which I had my cycling shorts. Then I had my ordinary clothes, and then I had my protective motorcycling gear, with special socks, boots, gloves and helmet. Not forgetting the earplugs. I also put my heated grips on maximum, just to see how warm they would be, as I'd never had them that high before [i actually had to turn them down].

And I went out for a ride, and visited people along the way. In the end, I stopped at some good friends who didn't mind me stripping down to whatever was comfortable. Biking is not as easy as car driving, unless you live in the mediterranean, or elsewhere temperate, or here in the warmer months. But it is invariably a sight more enjoyable.

When I took my CBT, due to the lack of geared bikes at the centre I did the morning on an automatic 125cc scooter. It was terrifying having no tank between your legs when doing those slow, twisty manoeuvres. Fortunately I got a clapped out CG125 bike for the afternoon's road runs as some girly kept falling off it in the morning and went home crying.

It's much more controllable with a clutch, and you feel much more secure with something to grip your legs to.

Why not look at one of those electric scooters?

About £500 to buy - new - do about 30mph, and cost about 8p to recharge for 30 miles of travel, a lot cheaper than a normal scooter!

Plus, the tax is really laughable at a whopping £0 per annum!

For getting to and from work in a town / city, it would be ideal, anything longer / further would be a pain though I guess...

No, there's no doubt you can get away with that easier with a scooter. It's all that panel protection, that does it.

Today I had my thermals on, over my underpants. On top of which I had my cycling shorts. Then I had my ordinary clothes, and then I had my protective motorcycling gear, with special socks, boots, gloves and helmet. Not forgetting the earplugs. I also put my heated grips on maximum, just to see how warm they would be, as I'd never had them that high before [i actually had to turn them down].

And I went out for a ride, and visited people along the way. In the end, I stopped at some good friends who didn't mind me stripping down to whatever was comfortable. Biking is not as easy as car driving, unless you live in the mediterranean, or elsewhere temperate, or here in the warmer months. But it is invariably a sight more enjoyable.

That is exactly what I want to avoid! As I said though, bearing in mind I need to be wearing some sort of safety gear, I'm hoping it will be easier on a scooter. Realistically, my journey to work would be a couple of miles through the twisty streets of Southampton and I'd probably never even get to do 30mph. I'm hoping I can just get a 'protective motorbike' coat of some sort, some gloves and a helmet. When it's wet, some waterproof trousers will have to come out to protect my suit trousers, but apart from that I hope to keep things simple. Am I barking up the wrong tree though?

Why not look at one of those electric scooters?

About £500 to buy - new - do about 30mph, and cost about 8p to recharge for 30 miles of travel, a lot cheaper than a normal scooter!

Plus, the tax is really laughable at a whopping £0 per annum!

For getting to and from work in a town / city, it would be ideal, anything longer / further would be a pain though I guess...

Did think about that, but getting into town from my place would usually involve a quick hop down the Millbrook Road and a 125cc scooter would obviously be a better bet. I could stick to Shirley HIgh Street I suppose.

That is exactly what I want to avoid! As I said though, bearing in mind I need to be wearing some sort of safety gear, I'm hoping it will be easier on a scooter. Realistically, my journey to work would be a couple of miles through the twisty streets of Southampton and I'd probably never even get to do 30mph. I'm hoping I can just get a 'protective motorbike' coat of some sort, some gloves and a helmet. When it's wet, some waterproof trousers will have to come out to protect my suit trousers, but apart from that I hope to keep things simple. Am I barking up the wrong tree though?

No, not at all. Do remember that the gear I put on would enable me to ride for a very long time without getting cold in the depths of a UK winter. If all you want to do is pop into town or get to and from work, then all you have to have is some relatively cheap overall motorcycle gear with some knee, elbow, back and shoulder protection. For example, you will find that shops like Aldi do occasional motorcycle clothing, which they stock in the early spring and autumn, and occasionally in between. The stuff is of perfectly adequate quality [i have a waterproof barbour type jacket and trousers myself] for your requirements, and it very keenly priced. They also do helmets, gloves and boots, bikelocks and bags. While I never compromise on a crash helmet, for safety, their helmets are perfectly up to the mark. If you buy anything else, it is purely for extra frills and brand name.

P.S. Whatever the anti-nick features on your scooter, do buy a good bike lock. You'll be surprised how keen people will be to part you from your treasured possession, and they are not afraid to lift the whole thing up and cart it away, especially a relatively light scooter.